Jeep and the Computer

dddsandman

I am wondering if any of you Jeep people out there can tell me what year did Jeep start putting computers in the Jeep? I have a friend looking to obtain a Jeep without a computer.
Thanks,
Steve

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Out of curiosity why no computer? They started installing them in the early 1970s. I know my father in laws 83 gmc with a 4 barrel has one.

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Not certain about many models but CJ's did not use computerized engine controls (ended in 1986).
YJs started using computerized carburetors in 1987 (first year of production), and If I remember correctly went to fuel injection in '90 or '91.
and I believe the 1987 XJ (Cherokees) 4.0.L I-6s were the first with fuel injection (not certain about the GM v-6's).
CJs started using Ford electronic ignitions in the mid 1970s ('74 ?? maybe).

Computerized multipoint fuel injection is a very good thing especially off road, IMO.

Enjoy!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Not certain about many models but CJ's did not use computerized engine controls (ended in 1986).
YJs started using computerized carburetors in 1987 (first year of production), and If I remember correctly went to fuel injection in '90 or '91.
and I believe the 1987 XJ (Cherokees) 4.0.L I-6s were the first with fuel injection (not certain about the GM v-6's).
CJs started using Ford electronic ignitions in the mid 1970s ('74 ?? maybe).

Computerized multipoint fuel injection is a very good thing especially off road, IMO.

Enjoy!

According to this they did use computers
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/jn-ignition99/

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I checked and you are correct there were ECMs in 1981 through 86 CJs (California vehicles may be different).
apparently the electronic stepper motor carter BBD carburetors came on at least some jeep 258's as early as 1982 although I have never encountered one on a CJ (due to the age and high mod rate they could have been changed out)...
There were oxygen sensors in the 1981 through 1986 CJs too; also indicating the use of computerized engine controls/ECMs.
...Sorry about that...
Enjoy!

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I can't speak to CJs but the FSJs never had a real computer all the way up to 1991. 1978 and up (I believe) did have an ignition control module but it's not a computer in the modern sense.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yeah, it depends on your definition of "computer". All of the 80's CJ's and even early YJ's with the 258 that had a "computer controlled" carburetor will run without the computer, just not well without mods... You can search "nutter bypass" to find out how to rid a 258ci YJ of it's computer and make it run better. I assume the same would work on an 80's CJ.

He could also find a pre-87 XJ or MJ with a 2.8l V-6, or the diesel. Neither used a computer. (The diesels are HARD to find...)

Even on the later computer controlled jeeps, the only computer is the engine controller. (Well, '97+ XJ/TJ's have a computer in the cluster too, but you don't need that for the Jeep to run and drive.) I just keep an extra (junkyard) engine controller for my Jeep, tossed in the gun safe for "safe" keeping, if you know what I mean... ;)

Tell your friend his tinfoil hat looks good on him/her! :)

Last edited:

dddsandman

I want to thank all of you for your answers. As for why, there is a friend of mine who wants to stay away from computers in case of hacking but really for an EMP. I know the possibility of one is really rare but that's what she wants to worry about right now.
Also about having an injected vs. carb I really know the difference and totally agree that a card off road is not the best thing to have.

Thank all of you again and be safe out there,
Steve

1stDeuce

Explorer
If it's hacking you're worried about, anything pre-2010-ish is pretty hack proof, since it's completely not able to connect to anything in the outside world... For EMP concerns, she'll want to keep an ignition coil handy too, since a strong EMP will fry that too, so why not also keep a engine computer in the same safe location and if the need arises, you just swap them both out and away you go, enjoying a newer vehicle in the meantime. :)

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Tell him to get an older Chevy with the 6.2 diesel, you could hand crank one of those suckers and make it run, no need for electronic anything

Jeff Dodgen

Explorer
I want to thank all of you for your answers. As for why, there is a friend of mine who wants to stay away from computers in case of hacking but really for an EMP. I know the possibility of one is really rare but that's what she wants to worry about right now.
Also about having an injected vs. carb I really know the difference and totally agree that a card off road is not the best thing to have.

Thank all of you again and be safe out there,
Steve

Hacking? Don't let the new Cherokee fool you into thinking every vehicle with a computer can now be run off the road by a hacker. I recommend getting SOMETHING with a PCM.

MTSN

Explorer
I think this seems like a good option :D

display_Bianchi_Road_Bike.jpg

If remote hacking is the concern, then that would only apply to some vehicles approx 2007 and newer with CAN bus network communication combined with a wireless communication device which provide would provide access to that CAN bus. My 2012 JK does not have any of the connectivity options so is not at risk. OBDII emissions controls were mandated by the government in 1996, which standardized a lot of the fault detecting and troubleshooting.

Regarding the EMP, any vehicle, including Jeeps, from early 70's and up has some type of solid state electronics in it, even if it is just the voltage regulator in the alternator or the ignition module. Would those fail in the case of an EMP? Maybe. How about the condenser in a point type ignition? Or the ignition coil as previously mentioned?

Many studies show that computer controlled modern vehicles are minimally affected even with high EMP levels. My opinion is that if a major EMP event happens, you're going to have bigger immediate problems to solve than whether your vehicle runs or not. I suppose you could get a vehicle with a mechanical fuel injection diesel and manual transmission - no electricity required at all and it could potentially be push started. Of course, you've still got to come up with fuel and spare parts for it.

Good luck!

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Personally I have considered the possibility of EMP/CME and rate it so low as to not be a significant concern... if it concerns you get only engines that can be retro fitted to a points distributor and carburetor and keep a set of parts on the shelf, with an alternator rebuild kit.
I would not knowingly ride in a fly by wire (exclusively electronic steering/throttle control or brakes) road vehicle, well maintained mechanical systems are safer... one experience where a computer kicked the idle air to full-on wile traversing a "bad" obstacle on a gnarly trail convinced me... (and cannot be remotely hacked), IMO.
Computerized multi-point injection is so superior that I would (have) install(ed) it on any carbureted vehicle that I get, without reservation.
(for intense off road use install a switch/relay to deactivate the idle air servo in low range...or...unplug it temporarily).
Enjoy!

ritchiepage2001

Me 2

Out of curiosity why no computer? They started installing them in the early 1970s. I know my father in laws 83 gmc with a 4 barrel has one.

I am also curious about pre-computer Jeeps, but not because of EMP's or hacking, but because I've found that with two of my trucks (GMC step-side & Chevy Suburban), they will not run without a battery,mwhich is a pain, if you're stuck with either a frozen or cratered battery.

Looking at buying a pre-comp Jeep with a standard transmission, so I can push or jump start in a pinch, in case I get stranded between say, civilization and Yellow Knife,for example. Any tips?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke