1994 Yamaha Serow XT225

TXscout

Observer
I got a running 94 XT225 for $500 but the fuel tank ended up having rust and leaking. I cleaned and resealed it but it continued to leak. Something is also going on with the charging system it has an oil leak, and the carb seems like it needs to be adjusted or replaced. Do you think it is worth it to get this bike back up to snuff? I am a complete newbie and this is my first bike, bought on a whim. I would use it almost exclusively to ride trails, though may get my license so i can hop on and off the road. Should i put money into this thing or just look for a bike in better condition?

ihatemybike

Explorer
Really depends on how much you like to tinker. How does the bike run?

How bad is the rust on the tank? Where is it leaking from? Have you looked at eBay for OEM or aftermarket tanks? Maybe it would be a good time to add a larger capacity poly tank.

What are the charging system symptoms? Could the bike just need a fresh battery?

Where is the oil leak? Might be as easy as swapping a seal.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'd say it's worth it - but I've done the same with a couple of older Yamahas.

Here's your tank:

http://bikeboneyard.com/92 yamaha xt-225.html

I bought a tank from Brenda for a 76 DT175. Had a few dents, but no rust inside or out. Buddy of mine owns a body shop, gave it to an apprentice as a project, told him, "no bondo". Came out perfect.

She's easy to deal with. If the site doesn't have pics of the bike, she'll usually have someone go out in the yard and snap a few to email to you.

dirtnadvil

What the previous replys stated is my advice as well. If you are going to ride a bike off road you should feel comfortable working on it doing basic field repairs. Fixing up an old bike is the best teacher. There is a website called adventure rider. Lots of info on xt225. Lots of help and riding partners on that site as well. I had a 94 xt225. Great bikes. But if you get the riding bug you'll outgrow it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne