Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 1992 f150 daily driver and adventure rig.

I recently picked up a nearly identical truck and I've really liked watching what you've done with yours. I am very interested in swapping the gas tank for something larger too. Do you still have that link you mentioned that had some good info on how to go about performing the swap?

Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by RunSupertrampRun View Post
    I recently picked up a nearly identical truck and I've really liked watching what you've done with yours. I am very interested in swapping the gas tank for something larger too. Do you still have that link you mentioned that had some good info on how to go about performing the swap?

Thanks-
    Sorry to just get back to you, I have gotten away from this forum for a while.

I recently had to replace the fuel pump and I modified the hanger a bit differently this time.
    I used some nickel/copper alloy brake line in 5/16" and 3/8" diameters and compression fittings. Then two small pieces of aluminum angle to extend where the module bolts to the hanger ( and the sending unit grounds to).
    There's a really good youtube video I came across that can explain it all better than I. he gets into modifying the float for the sending unit, I left mine stock so my gauge just reads full the first half. Its been that way for two years and hasnt bothered me yet.

To update, I have been running the truck daily for a few years now and haven't done a whole lot, just maintenance. Replaced some gaskets, deleted the AIR setup after one of the tubes cracked, added a new cat, on a set of the new style bfg ko2's now, etc.
    Planning on going to 3.55's by just buying a decent rear axle and front center chunk out of a parts truck, and the truck desperately needs a respray as the 26 year old paint is literally falling off. Found a zf5 for cheap that I might pick up for "one day" but the 4 speed is great for running around.
    92 f150 4.9 t-18 bw1356 d44/8.8 3.08's reg cab shortbox 33x10.50 k02 campertop 38gal tank

97 f350 7.3 psd zf5 bw1356 d60/10.25 4.10s drw 235/85 s/t maxx. warn bumper, engo 12k w amsteel.

Sinister Gruitr, monarch 4.2 air, pike 454 coil, shimano slx/xt stop'n'go, Easton havoc wheels and bars, conti mtn king 2.4's ... the nine speed all terrain vehicle

Just spent a fair bit of time re-reading your thread. Such a cool truck. While I still love my F-350 crew cabs- I long for the short bed, regular cab trucks. Mine are like school busses. I've been looking at 90's models F-150's like yours on CL for a couple months. I'm amazed at how many there are with the legendary 300 I-6. It's all I'd own in a half ton truck. I'd set one up much the same way you have done yours. You've done very well so far. Maybe some day I'll get me one. But I already have too many trucks. My wife will kill me if I come rollin' in with another!
    97 F-350 CC Long bed. Power Stroke, 5 spd, warn out front, Titan tank underneath, little bit of lift, 315's, lots of goodies- Let The Good Times Roll!

Thanks! It's been a great truck thus far. The short wheelbase is easy to live with as a dd, I still wouldn't mind the extended cab version some days. Those cclb trucks are one of my favorite fords even if they are land yachts. Towing with that long wheelbase is so nice!
    I feel like these older f150s are a great platform for a cheap rig. There are just so many out there and with diesels being all the rage now they're relatively inexpensive. That being said I'll bet a 4bt in one would be killer...

Put an order in for a True Trac, 3.55 r&p, and some new timken bearings and seals. Now I just gotta find someone to put the rear end together for me. I do just about all of my own wrenching but I've never set up a diff.

Also picked up some shackle tabs that I have yet to work into the front bumper and frame rails,I hope to get on that project soon as not having any sort of tie off point up front is a serious design flaw.

Lastly, popped some new moog radius arm bushings in, one side was toast. What a difference! The truck drives alot better and the steering and suspension is tighter than it has ever been in the few years I've owned it. Should've gotten around to that sooner...

Mulling around ideas for a rear bumper. I like the protofab and bronco air ones alot but I think I can come up with something more basic and inexpensive. I am wanting to keep it low profile to help with the departure angles, and integrate a 2" receiver in there, and thats basically it. My welding skills are not up to snuff and never were so I'll have to farm this one out as well.

Need to get some pics on here, I'm afraid I'm not much of a photog though. Been out and about hiking and exploring as much as the winter has allowed. Even took the better-half's XV crosstrek some places that would make most subie owners wince.

I got some shackle tabs off fleabay. 1x2x8". Ran some 1/2" holes thru them on the drill press, then made a template and transferred it to the frame.
    Here is one side bolted in.

Now I just have to cut some holes in the bumper and slide it back on.

Also finished out the exhaust finally. I've had it with a new y pipe, modern catalytic converter, and muffler with a turndown for a while but there's a drone in the cab at certain rpms. I found a passenger side tailpipe for a dual kit that seems like a pretty good fit, even with the big fuel tank. I'll snap some pics later today.
    If I was to have to do it all over again I would've just let a shop build it, or stuck with 2.25" as it wasn't all that easy to find the 2.5" tail pipe. That being said it sits up nice and tight to the truck and has a very quiet and mellow tone.
    92 f150 4.9 t-18 bw1356 d44/8.8 3.08's reg cab shortbox 33x10.50 k02 campertop 38gal tank

97 f350 7.3 psd zf5 bw1356 d60/10.25 4.10s drw 235/85 s/t maxx. warn bumper, engo 12k w amsteel.

Sinister Gruitr, monarch 4.2 air, pike 454 coil, shimano slx/xt stop'n'go, Easton havoc wheels and bars, conti mtn king 2.4's ... the nine speed all terrain vehicle

Don't you have a swanky winch bumper? I swore I read that earlier in your thread.
    97 F-350 CC Long bed. Power Stroke, 5 spd, warn out front, Titan tank underneath, little bit of lift, 315's, lots of goodies- Let The Good Times Roll!

Nah, I traded some tires for an aluminum bumper that was made for a ford e-series. Wasn't even close to fitting how I wanted it so I sold it to a van owner.

I think at this point if I do go the winch route I'll just mount it behind a stock bumper, I like the clean, unassuming look.

I too like the look of a factory bumper. Where I'm living we have whitetail deer coming out our ears. If you don't have a stout bumper protecting your truck it WILL get crushed at some point. I've hit multiple deer in every vehicle I've owned.

I hear you on the deer. I think this is the only vehicle I've owned that hasn't tagged a deer (yet).

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415