Seven Days in May

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Utah016.jpg

"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will - whatever we may think."
- Lawrence Durrell

"Our plan was simple. Slither and pound our way through the beauty of the Colorado Plateau and remain as remote and self sufficient as possible."
- Dave Connors (UCE)

When the opportunity came up to return to Canyonlands National Park, outside of Moab, Utah, how could I not go? Unlike my previous solo trip, I would have the pleasure of tagging along with one of my favorite photographers, Darren Kilgore of Colorado, and his overland prepped '02 4Runner. Darren and I have done a quick weekend trip together before and I find him to be the most agreeable traveler.

An invitation was also extended to our mutual friend, Chuck Hathcock of New Mexico. In addition to his flawless GPS skills, Chuck has a great Tacoma that he's put a lot of time, effort and thought into plus he's really into photography as well. He would wind up joining us later in the week for the White Rim Trail. With a photographer and off road demon of Darren's caliber and a wildlife biologist with nav skills like Chuck on board, I was sure to learn a lot on this trip!

The only thing that could make a trip to Moab better is being able to go with someone who knows a few secret spots but also has a desire to see something new. We all had varying reasons for taking this trip but we agreed that visiting the more remote parts of the park was a must. We pinpointed a few highlights that we were hoping to see and I began to plot a route that would allow us to see as much of the remote areas around the park as possible.

I met up with Darren in Moab, Sunday morning May 7th. It was the last official day of Cruise Moab '06, and as I made my way south off the interstate to Moab on 191, I was fortunate enough to see many attendees heading out of town. I'm a big mark for 'Cruisers so seeing the myriad of 80's, 40's, new FJ's, 60's and a few 55's that had come to town the week before was a real thrill. We would be fortunate enough to see a few Cruisers that stayed after CM '06, on the trails that week too.

After an ice and gas stop, Darren led me up to Arches NP, for my first official visit of the park. It was real treat as I've driven by the park several times, but I've never had time for a formal visit. The numerous parking lots to view the Arches were typically crowded but Darren had a plan. From the northern end of the park, he turned back south but on a 4wd trail that paralleled the main park road before turning west back towards 191, north of Moab. We aired down and made our way along the trail that had a few easy off camber sections and several stair step obstacles. The scenery was excellent but merely foreshadowed what we'd see all week.

We made our way north on 191, back to Interstate 70. The next two days we would be in the most remote section of the park, the Maze. We stopped for gas in Green River, UT and I was surprised to see an old Lake City, CO neighbor and employer at the gas station. They were returning from Lake Powell, and heading to Lake City. It was one of those weird random road moments because I had not seen them since leaving Lake City almost 5 years ago and here we were bumping into each other at some gas station in the middle of a state that neither of us live in.

On the move again, we make our way south through the San Rafael Valley to the western side of the park. The Glen Canyon Recreation Area would be our first stop as we took several shots of the sunset that evening. Later we made camp near the entrance of the Maze and tried to figure out how it takes 8 hours to drive 20 miles as the signs had said. It wouldn't be a mystery for long.

**** With 7 days on remote trails and over 700 photos of my own, not including Darren & Chuck's pics, this will be one of my annoying multi part reports. Not trying to be dramatic or suspenseful, it's just easier for me to do it in small increments.****

Attachments

• Utah 020.jpg
    Utah 020.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Utah 017.jpg
    Utah 017.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Utah 012.jpg
    Utah 012.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Utah 021.jpg
    Utah 021.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Utah 024.jpg
    Utah 024.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Utah 030.jpg
    Utah 030.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 154

Darren

Adventurer
You're hired! I'm sure glad I let you do this report. You're getting real good at this stuff. All that reading you do is rubbing off on your writing side. Not doing this all at once will be easier for me to keep up as well. I'm not going to add any more words since they'd just get in the way. I won't be as shy about dropping in a few pictures. Here are some from this first day:

1.jpg

KC descending a hill on the Eye of the Whale road in Arches

2.jpg

KC descending a fairly steep grade (~34 degrees) along the same route

3.jpg

Arriving at the northern access to the Maze just north of Hanksville

4.jpg

A little ways in, we stop at Little Flat Top butte for sunset

5.jpg

The 'Runner

6.jpg

Looking back across the valley and one of the scenes I was shooting when KC took my picture above

blaze one

Adventurer
great photo's so far, Can you send me a High res . of that last pic ?
jamesrlr@hotmail.com
Trust us , we wouldn't all be reading your reports like a good novel if we thought they were annoying .
Can wait for th update .:D

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Cool, KC's threads are always amusing and I am even in this toward the end! :jumping: I'll post up some photos once you get to the WRT section of the trip.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Great report so far KC! Very nice photos as well to both KC and Darren. You guys are truely artists. I can't wait for the second installment and some more photos.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Woohoo! I've been looking forward to reading this. Great reading and viewing... this Hoosier has to experience the southwest somehow and I can't think of no better way than vicariously through KC, Darren, and Chuck.

KC,
I owe you an e-mail and some posts about the Fridge/Freeze and Big South Fork... however reading your threads is a good excuse for not getting to it. That and my bloody motherboard fritzing on my home computer.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Utah115.jpg

"The distance doesn't matter; only the first step is difficult."
- Mme. du Deffand

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go."
- Keith Urban

Darren had spied a private campsite with a great overlook across yet another canyon, just yards from the Maze District entrance. After driving all night to Moab the previous evening, I finally crashed after 36 hours with no sleep. I would like to tell you about the great dreams of off road adventures and slickrock that I had that night, but the truth is sleep came quickly and if I did dream that night, it was probably about taking a nap.

With no promise of a wake up time I slept in till an embarassing hour while Darren, ever patient, probably wondered if I was going to sleep in till the following day. Once up, I was anxious to get the day started. Our route would take us in a counter clockwise pattern around the park. We had started in Arches NP and moved west and south to the Maze. Research on the Maze District was difficult. I never could find enough pics of the area for me to have a good idea of what to expect. As frustrating as that was, it turned out to be a blessing, like not finding your presents before Christmas. The Maze District would be a gift to the senses.

Our first destination after passing through the ranger's station at Hans Flat would be the Panorama Point Overlook. Because I had little to go on, I was nervous about what to expect from the trail. I feel comfortable with my truck for most trails but with the camper on it and on a different trail system than I'm used to, I could only hope I had the clearence necessary to come through unscathed. I tried to pump myself up by reminding myself that everytime life presents us with a new challenge, that it's an opportunity to learn and grow. And often, taking that first step is the hardest part.

Not that it was a race, or that the time even mattered, but it took us two and a half hours to travel the 11.5 miles to the overlook. Lots of photo breaks, lots of scrambling up stair steps and easing down narrow switchbacks. Rather quickly I was able to see what makes Darren such a talented photographer. In addition to his equipment and interest in photography, I have to believe it his his overwhelming patience that allows him to get to, and set up for, just the right shot. If Darren ever grew impatient during the trip, I never saw it. Even days later when mine was wearing thin, it was Darren's calm nature that saw us through. I used to covet his camera skills, but now I think I'd like to have that much patience and contentment with where I am. The guy is a rock. I couldn't have asked for a better partner to go exploring with in some of the most remote country in the lower 48 states.

At the overlook we both stood slack jawed for a moment before breaking into laughter as the land rolled out in front of us like a redrock carpet. Like 2 kids with a golden ticket to the chocolate factory, we scrambled over rocks and peered over the edge to take in the complete view from our 6250 ft viewpoint. Several other trails were visible far below on the canyon floor and we tried to guess which ones were which. We set our sights on the Maze Overlook for sunset and somewhat reluctantly piled back in the vehicles, leaving one of the more scenic points of the entire trip.

On a map, the two overlooks sit about a mile or two apart from each other. The reality is much different. Four and half hours and 32.5 scenic miles later we pulled up to the Maze Overlook. I immediately snapped the lead photo in this post and got out of Darren's way. It was 7pm and the sun was dropping fast. I watch Darren grab his tripod and camera bag, which weighs almost as much as his 4Runner, and he's off to the most perilous point he can find for just the right shot. I retreat to the camper to jot down some notes and mileage totals for the day. A feeling of patience, but really more like relaxation comes over me and I have to remind myself where I am. I'm on day two of a trip that has been months in the making, to a place most people will never see, with a friend whose outfit makes for great trail pics regardless of the terrain. I finally have my new camper that I have wanted for so long and we're right in the middle of a scenic nowhere land.

A memorable sunset closed the curtain on Monday, May 8th and so far all was well. We were a night or two away from a full moon and tomorrow we make our way to the Doll House, the most remote point on our trip and rumor has it, some of the most difficult trail conditions we'll encounter this week.

Attachments

• Utah 032.jpg
    Utah 032.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Utah 039.jpg
    Utah 039.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Utah 057.jpg
    Utah 057.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Utah 067.jpg
    Utah 067.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Utah 077.jpg
    Utah 077.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Utah 093.jpg
    Utah 093.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Utah 100.jpg
    Utah 100.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Utah 121.jpg
    Utah 121.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Utah 123.jpg
    Utah 123.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Utah 138.jpg
    Utah 138.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 275

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Darren said:
....Not doing this all at once will be easier for me to keep up as well. I'm not going to add any more words since they'd just get in the way. I won't be as shy about dropping in a few pictures....

I understand if you want to save your own words for a report on your site, but don't sell yourself short. Your writing entertained me through 40 days and nights of rain in Canada, come on. It was your trip too, please don't let me bigfoot all over your thoughts and impressions.

If nothing else, please keep bailing me out on proper names of trails and scenes. I was too busy grinning like an idiot most days to make note of what I was seeing and this report will get real boring, real fast if all I can say is, " We saw this cool place and that cool place...."

That sunset photo is out of this world! :bowdown: :clapsmile

Darren

Adventurer
This is shaping up to be a pretty big report.

Day 2 was probably the biggest highlight of the trip for me. The grand view from Panorama Point Overlook was rather awesome, but it was the Maze Overlook that really had me in a state of awe. It ranks right up there with the best views I have ever seen from high peaks. The seemingly endless sea and maze of canyons, for which this district of the park is named, is just spectacular, which the feeling I had was only enhanced by our remoteness. I really didn't want to leave, and I am oh so jealous of anyone who has ever camped there.

7.jpg

En route to Panorama Point Overlook

8.jpg

At Panorama Point Overlook

9.jpg

En route to the Maze Overlook

10.jpg

Parked at a side canyon about 2.5 miles from the Maze Overlook and directly north of Elaterite Butte

11.jpg

Looking east from the Maze Overlook

12.jpg

The Chocolate Drops from the Maze Overlook

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
Ahhh - Takes me back. I spent several seasons about 25 years ago hiking all over that country (before 4wheelers and bikers had discovered it). Guess I'll have to get back pretty soon and re-discover it.

Great report! :camping:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Killer! Some of us on the Moab prerun trip were talking about this area - now I know we will make this trip a priority next year

Awesome photos :coffee:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Are we up to May 11th yet when I joined you guys? :shakin: Just kiddin KC, take your time, I'll post my pictures pretty soon. I'm still working on my web report for the 3 days I was there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles