Where is everyone getting their cans

rayra

Expedition Leader
just to give everybody a meltdown...

gascans03_zps56d94fnz.jpg

/just an experiment, haven't got the viton gaskets yet. And Krylon Fusion paint does NOT work on fresh-ish HDPE

/just an experiment, haven't got the viton gaskets yet. And Krylon Fusion paint does NOT work on fresh-ish HDPE

Just a FYI the scepter water cans are "NOT" made from the same plastics as the scepter fuel cans. i would not suggest putting water in a fuel container and then drinking it as its not food safe treated........ nor would i suggest putting fuel in a water can.... very quickly the gasoline will erode the water container.

Did you buy the spouts there also? Or are the spouts inside of those cans. I would like to get a couple now too. 4 or 6 to have on hand to possibly replace what i Have in metal cans. My metal cans have been great. the old style FrontRunner cans rusted through.

No, I did not buy the spouts there. I do not have spouts for this cans. I instead bought a siphon from ebay to use with my can.

Ever since I came across plastic jerry cans, I have decided I will never buy the metal kinds. The metal jerry cans do rust, especially the cheaper priced ones. They rust really fast. Sometimes even before first use. Or as soon as you use it, oh it definitely rusts from then on. So, that is why I decided never to ever buy metal gas cans for overland trips.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

That looks great. For the paint you need to sand/prime or prime with a paint that is advertised as adhering to plastic. Or go the whole heating to change the ionic charge route, but that's probably not worth the effort.

I'm not sure that I would use a diesel or gas can for water, but I would give using a water can for diesel/gas a try. But that's just how I roll. :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just a FYI the scepter water cans are "NOT" made from the same plastics as the scepter fuel cans. i would not suggest putting water in a fuel container and then drinking it as its not food safe treated........ nor would i suggest putting fuel in a water can.... very quickly the gasoline will erode the water container.

A.) I am almost certain that scepter fuel cans are made from the same HDPE-2 as their MWCs and LCI's MWCs. I'm seekign that evidence right now and will likely call Scepter myself if I can't dredge up their MSDS data. Scepter shoots a 'liner compound) inside their MWCs which is almost certainly clear lacquer paint, same as food canning companies shoot inside their tin cans. Regardless, the 'liner' is not part of the mil contract specification and LCI MWCs are not lined in any way. The degeneration of the lacquer MAY be the source of the lore about not putting gas in a Scepter MWC. But there's also the issue of gasketing / sealing.

2.) "very quickly the gasoline will erode the water container" is quite simply horse manure. Lots of HDPE-2 containers used for gasoline and a lot worse things (more pics on this to follow shortly), without such dire consequences. In fact no consequence at all. Also, see: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=627874 wherein a gent has fuel in an LCI MWC for a YEAR without trouble.

III.) Your predictions of doom are further undermined and brought into question by your contacting me to offer me a scepter MFC at the ridiculous price of $125. Missing the entire point of the investigations into using MWCs, because the MFCs, even used, cost too damned much.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here's some info Dustin Hoffman can use on Plastics. (that's a joke for the other old farts, you Millenials probably won't get the reference)

A primer on the types of plastics used in various containers, in this case 'food safe'.
http://www.badplastics.com/safe-plastics.html

USPlastic.com is a go-to source for all manner of plastic objects and containers, for bulk storage or food items. They have a decent knowledge base as well as a comprehensive variety of goods. They are often referred to by folks on 'prepper' forums for the ubiquitous 5gal bucket food storage method. They have a brief article about food safe buckets
http://www.usplastic.com/knowledgeb...sionGUID=336e7c2c-39a8-4028-5267-ab0aa826d281
which links to these buckets, made of High density Polyethylene (HDPE-2)
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25038&catid=752

Most open containers made of HDPE-2, the only concern is what was used for a mold release. For 'food safe' production - and as a lubricant for food-processing machinery by the way - that choice is mineral oil. Baby Oil. Which is a petroleum distillate.

most closed containers, roto-molded or blown containers, There's nothing on the inside but the bare plastic.

Some various containers made from HDPE-2

Our friend, the milspec MWC

MFCplastictype_zpsh3wovzpa.jpg

We'll kick off by kicking the bucket, the classic Home Depot 'homer' bucket

HDPEhomer_zpsei6ipyra.jpg

base and 'neutral' fluids, milk and water.

HDPEmilk_zps1po2ik3v.jpg
HDPEwater_zps6ddzi1aw.jpg

then into slightly more caustic things, like detergent and bleach

HDPElaundry_zpsxxdlfd9t.jpg
HDPEbleach_zpsruiggq6m.jpg

...then we slide into the acid category

HDPEvinegar_zpsxkai2tvu.jpg

...into the petroleum distillates

HDPEpaintthinner_zpsbosspemy.jpg

... and we'll just wrap it up with DRANO, as the most caustic stuff I have laying around.

HDPEdrano_zpscv96tsze.jpg

so tell me again how gasoline will turn an HDPE-2 MWC into goop?

But pardon me for belabouring the point, the topic is WHERE to get the cans, not WHICH cans to use. Just felt I needed to respond to that outrageous disinformation.

Last edited:
do you want to learn something OR....

......RAYRA .....Do you already KNOW IT ALL ??
Its too bad you were insulted by my offer of the genuine red scepter mfc available to purchase so Im going to up the ante
If you can show me the factory UN approval for the transport of dangerous goods on the scepter water can you have? and then look at all the containers you pictured? then look at a scepter MFC study its symbols their meanings and the specific testing that *UN*with the circle approved for dangerous goods cans pass I'll send it to you for FREE :)
you seem to think the scepter mfc and mwc are the same just cause they are HDPE2
one meets a stringent UN certification for the transportation of dangerous goods.... the other ....does not:Wow1:
your promoting a bad idea by suggesting people could use a water can for gas. or a non approved container for the transportation of dangerous goods.
you might want to consider becoming an expert in horse manure.... and its uses..... instead of scepter containers.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/moc-smoc-faqunspeccontainer-208.html#whatisit

Attachments

• IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
When I was logging I used and many I know use/used a windshield wiper fluid jug for saw gas never ever melted or destroyed the container and still use the saws. To no ill effects.
Its too bad you were insulted by my offer of the genuine red scepter mfc available to purchase so Im going to up the ante
If you can show me the factory UN approval for the transport of dangerous goods on the scepter water can you have? and then look at all the containers you pictured then look at a scepter MFC study its symbols their meanings and the specific testing that *UN*with the circle approved for dangerous goods cans pass I'll send it to you for FREE :)
you seem to think the scepter mfc and mwc are the same just cause they are HDPE2
one meets a stringent UN certification for the transportation of dangerous goods.... the other ....does not:Wow1:
your promoting a bad idea by suggesting people could use a water can for gas. or a non approved container for the transportation of dangerous goods.
you might want to consider becoming an expert in horse manure.... and its uses..... instead of scepter containers.

mccustomize

Explorer
Wow.... moving on, I live close to a large mil base and I routinely find Sceptre cans in the surplus stores and craigslist. I can cross post the deals I find on here if anyone would want me to?

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you can show me the factory UN approval for the transport of dangerous goods on the scepter water can you have? and then look at all the containers you pictured? then look at a scepter MFC study its symbols their meanings and the specific testing that *UN*with the circle approved for dangerous goods cans pass I'll send it to you for FREE :)

Whatever man. Doesn't change the fact that you were posting BS about MWCs dissolving, while with the other hand you offer an MFC at a ridiculous high price. That's pretty unethical. And now you cap your hypocrisy with an appeal to authority.

I'd ask you to post a picture of the BOTTOM of that jug, where the plastic type branding should be, but I don't consider you trustworthy. I can wait for someone else without a financial interest to do so.

In the meantime, I'm glad you've found a profitable niche where you can double your money by lawfully buying MFCs in Vancouver and reselling them to US residents to circumvent our government induced artificial shortage. Just don't ask me to pay double or lie to me to make the sales pitch. And don't preen about government approved containers, while you are knowingly violate my government's restrictions about selling them to US residents. Obey all of the rules or none of them, but don't moralize about only following the ones that suit you.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Wow.... moving on, I live close to a large mil base and I routinely find Sceptre cans in the surplus stores and craigslist. I can cross post the deals I find on here if anyone would want me to?

I'm sure you would find no end of customers, if they are priced reasonably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94