The Owyhee

Lars70

Observer
Wow. Hempler's center cut, fried to perfection and served straight on sesame rolls, washed down with Ballast Point Big Eye. And still alive to describe the (delectable) experience. Awesome!

brother dan

Great write up! The Owyhee's is one of my favorite places to wander around. Did you guys hit the hot springs at 3 Forks? Great soak.. in the spring/summer months anyhow. Not quite hot enough for cold weather soaking.

Dan

Foy

Explorer
A nice gesture

Gauging local support, or absence thereof, unfortunately has zero to do with the exercise of Executive powers under the Antiquities Act. Presidents tend to engage in a flurry of unpopular acts in their lame duck year. I would not expect the "advisory vote" of Malheur County's citizens to have any effect on what this President, or any President, does or does not do in regards to National Monument status for the Owyhee. The citizens of Custer and Fremont Counties in Idaho voted 93% "no" to National Monument status for Boulder-White Clouds in November 2014. In August 2015, Wilderness designation was expanded in the area, and many believe NM status is just around the corner.

I'm not suggesting this is either good or bad, only that what "the locals want" is essentially irrelevant.

C'est la vie.

Foy

umpqua

Observer
This was a good trip report but I cringe every time I hear or read the name "Owyhee." The best that anyone can do for this area is to leave it alone. I know it's selfish to not want anyone to visit but it's so remote that you have to be going there to get there. I'm rambling. I need to spend more time there other than floating the river......

keylay

Adventurer
Sa-weet! Love the open spaces out west. I particularly like the part with the storm. If that storm rolled through my house in the suburbs, id dim the lights and get cozy and nap. Almost like what y'all did…get warm in the truck and eat and be cozy.

Keep it up!

Idaho_Pakeha

Occasional Archaeologist
Nice trip report. I have been to many of those places and enjoyed following along with the tale. Jarbidge is a fantastic place! I worked in that area for two summers and enjoyed many a beer in the old Outdoor Inn (which had an amazing historic bar, supposedly brought in on wagons from San Francisco), unfortunately the old place burned down. Thanks for the memories!

Cedo Nulli

Observer
I miss the Treasure Valley. Idaho truly is one of America's hidden gems. Loved living there, many nice places to get the Jeep back into and camp...loved driving the countless trails throughout the Owyhees and up into the Central mountains around McCall.

Great report!

doug720

Expedition Leader
Great trip and story!

Back in the late 60's to about 74', I spent a couple of weeks each year in the area with my dad and grandpa. I was between 8-14 at the time, and wish I could say I had been back, but I have not since grandpa passed. One of grandpa's Army buddies families owned a large ranch near 6 Creeks off Flint Creek Road. We would stay in an old bunkhouse and drove a early GMC PU with a Napco 4X4 conversion all around the area, spectacular, but I did not appreciate how much so until much later. Unfortunately, the family borrowed some money and lost the ranch in the early 80's. It was, and appears still to be, a remote and special area.

I was in SE Oregon earlier this year, and looked longingly at a map of what lay to the East...Someday...Someday soon!

Jerry

Adventurer
Sorry about the late post. I enjoyed your trip report. We have been to several of those locations and would like to explore the area further, but don't get out much anymore. Your photos and write up made me feel like I was right there with you. Thank you!

jAndyMendo

Adventurer
That happens a lot in the Silver City area. Residents posted private property and no hunting everywhere even though it is not. Creates a lot of confusion for the hunters up there. Of course no one knows who is doing it and you don't know if you are legal or not.

I have a map that shows what they call Cherry Stems in the Owyhee Wilderness Area. These Cherry Stems are authorized motorized access points that where established when the Wilderness Area was created. It does in fact show a stem coming into 45 ranch from the west and then after the crossing of the Owyhee two options at that point. One heading North and one heading South.

this one?

https://www.crapo.senate.gov/documents/oi/id_owyhee_river_wilderness_050508.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles