2015 Subaru Outback - Expedition Retrofit

midlifecrisis

Observer
If you've got the spare back there, I'm assuming you're using all that extra cargo space inside of the trunk? How have you liked the crossbar mounts so far? Looks like you've got a nice set up with the cargo and kayak mount.

Yep, somewhere back around page 4 of this thread I covered adding a 16 gallon fresh water tank and pressure pump setup in the spare tire well in the back. Since doing that I've been messing about with where the spare should go, but I think I'm settled on the rear hitch.
There may come a time when I want to tow my motorcycle trailer or other wise utilize the hitch conventionally, but I know I can pickup one of those over and under hitches to solve that problem so I think I'm good.
IMG_0882.jpg

The rack/mount system has been stellar. I've had everything from the full gear load out and two kayaks to bikes to loads of lumber up there and haven't had a single issue. It is solid.
Just went out for a couple days with the kayak extension in place and that works great. The ability to extend the rack when you need it and cut it back when you don't is pretty cool....not to mention the ease of loading the boat farther outboard.

Here's a few pre-departure pics:
IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg

The ability to mix and match boats, bikes and gear is really cool.

Last edited:

midlifecrisis

Observer
Yup, as Ktiemann noted I did in fact get my second gen round bar mounts built finally and he was kind enough to link to the other forum where I spelled that out.
Design morphed along the way, as usual.
Here's a few pics, let me know if you have questions.

Someday I'll get the prettied up, but in the meantime they're super solid, and believe me I've tested them out.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3371.JPG
    IMG_3371.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3375.JPG
    IMG_3375.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3376.JPG
    IMG_3376.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3377.JPG
    IMG_3377.JPG
    537.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3372.JPG
    IMG_3372.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 93

midlifecrisis

Observer
Another configuration with double boats and a full load of camping gear....just a tad over the 150 pound limit I'd say. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3368.JPG
    IMG_3368.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86

midlifecrisis

Observer
Midlifecrisis, did you ever end up creating any of these v2.0 round bar mounts? Or has anyone else picked up the mantle? Just acquired a gen5 OB and would love an alternative to the factory rack that doesn't sit high up like the Yakima skyline.

That was one of my many gripes with the aftermarket options out there, that they are all just too tall for no apparent reason.
I made mine considerably lower than the other options like Landing Pads, but kept it a tad tall for clearance with my outboard mounted kayak racks, ski racks, etc.
As you can see from the side-on pics, you could actually take ~3/4" of height out of the blocks and slam the cross bars right down on top of the factory plastic if you wanted to keep things super low profile.

If you were shooting for ~zero clearance, the front and rear blocks would actually be slightly different heights.

Attachments

• IMG_3372.JPG
    IMG_3372.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 64

midlifecrisis

Observer
Just threw a down and dirty caliper on them and the front is ~1/2" above the plastic and the rear is ~3/8".
Factory design variations makes them just a tad different.

If I would have been serious about being "right" I probably would have made those match.

midlifecrisis

Observer
So, really old thread so probably nobody watching anymore, but thought I'd close the loop on this roof rack retrofit.
I recently got into 3D printing as was finally able, after something like 4 years, to print out a "final" part that both functions and looks great.

It's printed from polycarbonate which is a high temp adventure in it's own rite, but once you get it right the stuff is amazing, particularly for a consumer printer.
Strong as hell and flexible (meaning not brittle).

PXL_20220608_210852931 (1).jpgPXL_20220609_183701021 (1).jpgPXL_20220608_210852931 (1).jpgPXL_20220609_183701021 (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke