"Arctica" 2015 Crewmax Platinum Tundra Build

wikid

Adventurer
Made a little progress within the last few days.
I sent out my Fender flares and door handles to be color matched Here is the result
I had to put the chromies back on while the paint was happening

Before

After with one for comparison

I always have like the clean look along the side, without color broke up

One rub gone. Now on to the other

This is strictly a test fit. I will put them on in the morning

I know , I know, I need to widen the stance. I have wheel spacers on order to help with that, in hope they are in by tomorrow, since I already did the chop. I will just have to test out the clearance.. Clarence

Fedex drop off a few boxes today

National Luna Dual battery controller. Paul from Equipt, said it would be on it's way, day before yesterday. I guess he was right ! Along with this I order about $250 of wire products on Ebay , to do all of my wire runs. This translates into many hours in the garage, running, cutting, splicing, heat shrink, wire ties, etc .

The other box that arrived was the Eezi Awn rack components. http://www.equipt1.com/c/roof-racks
The rack will actually be here at the FED EX terminal tomorrow. It will be a rack that only attaches to the cap. Everything will be as far back as possible to leave the front of the Tundra roof clean. The idea is to keep it behind the sun roof. They actually have a special mounting system for the cap. Here is a link to the actual mounting system I will be using http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-roof-rack-gutterless-rail-1600mm

The rack is at FED EX terminal for pick up. While I am picking that up, I need to go to another truck terminal to pick up my Expedition One Rear Bumper. Lots of running around to do before the weekend :)

kurtkrum

So I am considering a 2016 Tundra purchase in the next few weeks and I love your build - keep up the good work! This is exciting stuff!

wikid

Adventurer
So I am considering a 2016 Tundra purchase in the next few weeks and I love your build - keep up the good work! This is exciting stuff!

A finished pic of how I wanted the clean lines with the color matched door handles and fender flares

I will be getting busy this weekend, since I have lots of stuff to do. Now that I actually have more parts, it will come together more quickly

Expedition One rear bumper. Tundra 2014 Bumpers | Expedition One
I cannot say enough about how this this is packaged up. It really takes the guess work on how to install it , plus whether it would be damaged in shipping. The top of the carton was messed up, but when I opened it up, everything was foamed and plastic to protect the entire bumper
It seems really stout too

This also arrived today
Superwinch Talon 12.5 Superwinch, LLC - Talon 12.5 SR – 12,500 lbs/12V

This was also packaged well. It looks like a beast too. I am glad I got the synthetic rope. The top box is the wireless remote control

The rest of the roof rack was in and I drove to FED EX terminal to pick it up
I definitely have enough to do right now
Tomorrow morning I will be heading to GMG Fabrication, to finish installing and tweaking rack/battery box/lighting control/Extremeaire mount . Its almost there, but it needs some adjustments
I will get some pics after a few fit sessions

I went to GMG Fabrication (Joe) and made some progress on the platform, that will house the battery, Switch-Pro's, Dual battery controller, relay for the compressor and the compressor
Here is the battery box and rest of frame, actually attached to the bed.
The center section will be the electronics and to the right , we are thinking of mounting the air tank, over the compressor . Then it will be skinned and finished of course

Battery box will have a mated cover .

It doesn't look like much right now, but it will come together quickly, now that we have the idea. We will probably make one on the other side for recovery equipment etc.

Left GMG , to picked up the spacers from 4Wheel Parts
Thanks Mark
Went home and installed the rear bumper. A few things are not complete. License plate lights need to be wired in. Baja Designs Squadron sport wide driving lights will be installed in the pockets, for uber bright, reverse lights :) Reverse sensors need to be drilled in too

The big scratch your head moment is that I no longer have blind spot monitors. The way they work in the stock bumper is there is actually a box, or module at fits against the tupperware trim piece on each corner. Since this one is steel, I bet it wont work through it . I may have to do something custom here, but my thought is to try and get them to work as designed. We will see what I can come up with for that

I love the look of the bumper . It mates to the body lines really well.

USPS dropped off a box from Factor 55
Now I have everything I need for the winch install

Last but not least
When I dreamed up this project, I hired Tavis Highlander Graphic Designs to create a rendering . He is amazing and put my thought to print almost exactly how I envisioned it . If you plan on building a project, that you want to set your goals for, this is the way to do it.
I debated about posting a pic of the rendering, but since it's starting to take shape, I thought it would be fun to get impressions, of how it follows my thought . The blue highlights you see are actually the wrap I designed. It is suppose to be subtle. I want the build itself be the focus. The wrap is just suppose to be a hint of Arctic landscape

There are some lights missing on the bumper, but I will have him add that to the rendering and get the final artwork from him when its complete
Here is the rendering. I may or may not leave it up, but for now ...

Last edited:

wikid

Adventurer
Last but not least
When I dreamed up this project, I hired Tavis Highlander Graphic Designs to create a rendering . He is amazing and put my thought to print almost exactly how I envisioned it . If you plan on building a project, that you want to set your goals for, this is the way to do it.
I debated about posting a pic of the rendering, but since it's starting to take shape, I thought it would be fun to get impressions, of how it follows my thought . The blue highlights you see are actually the wrap I designed. It is suppose to be subtle. I want the build itself be the focus. The wrap is just suppose to be a hint of Arctic landscape

There are some lights missing on the bumper, but I will have him add that to the rendering and get the final artwork from him when its complete
Here is the rendering. I may or may not leave it up, but for now ...

cwvandy

Adventurer
Beautiful truck. Very well thought out and a very high quality build.
I have a '13 Tundra that I, too, want to put 35" tires on.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/136352-Custom-Tundra-Bed-Storage-Phase-1
Do you have any shots of how much modification you had to do to fit 35" tires. I have the same wheels and need to work around a Bud built skid plate. Would be great to hear how the spacers work. I looked at the parts on 4 Wheel Parts and they look really good. Thanks for sharing your build!

wikid

Adventurer
Beautiful truck. Very well thought out and a very high quality build.
I have a '13 Tundra that I, too, want to put 35" tires on.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/136352-Custom-Tundra-Bed-Storage-Phase-1
Do you have any shots of how much modification you had to do to fit 35" tires. I have the same wheels and need to work around a Bud built skid plate. Would be great to hear how the spacers work. I looked at the parts on 4 Wheel Parts and they look really good. Thanks for sharing your build!

Pot calling the kettle ? :)
Your truck is awesome.. Hard to believe I have never seen it. It seems like we share some of the same thoughts !!
Thanks for the link to your build . It was inspiring to see. I replied to your PM

I did manage to make a little progress today
I installed the Squadron Sports with spacing to center them. Then began wiring them . This will be wired to the second battery, with a relay, then a trigger wire, to the reverse circuit . I don't see the need to also have them come on independently , since I will have a whole array of lights, on the roof rack

Added the wheel spacers. It made a complete difference on the stance and how everything looks together. With the fender flares, spacers were needed. Absolutely no rub either. Which means I can weld up the Body mount chop I did last week. Now it needs suspension, to complete the look

before

after

fireball

Explorer
Great build!

I'd put those backup lights on a 3 way. There will be times when you either don't want to blind someone with them, or you want to leave them on to backup, get out and walk around something you might be towing, or whatever.

Dougnuts

Very nice! I love the rendering and am looking forward to seeing your truck with the vinyl applied.

wikid

Adventurer
Great build!

I'd put those backup lights on a 3 way. There will be times when you either don't want to blind someone with them, or you want to leave them on to backup, get out and walk around something you might be towing, or whatever.
Thank you.
I am trying to decide how I want these wired up. We will see. Thanks for the suggestion
Very nice! I love the rendering and am looking forward to seeing your truck with the vinyl applied.

It's always a little unnerving to have the thought and then apply it to vinyl, but I think it will work

Thanks for detailing this! I have the same truck, and going many of the same things!

You are welcome. So of the best skills we have are from doing and learning from others

Next up
Eezi-Awn Flat roof rack. I love the simple style and it turned out being a breeze to install the rack itself. Getting there was a little more interesting though
Here's what I did

Yesterday and today was all about the roof rack. I only had a few hours to start working on it yesterday, so I used that time for the measuring. Blue tape was my friend
As anything you are trying to install its all about finding center

I needed to be outside the waffled section of the roof in the center, so I picked a spot just outside the LED strips, then found a roof crease to use as my straight line

After I marked everything it was time to get a backing plate for the inside of the cap . I found this aluminum boxed channel 1.5x.75x1/8th . I figured with it being boxed it would add a little rigidity to the whole system .

The piece on the right, was after I turned it over, so I could counter sink the nuts and bolts on the inside

I drilled the roof rails and the backing plate together, then drilled the roof with the rail in place, then added the backing plate with 1/4x20 SS screws washers and nuts. I used rtv to seal it up when I dropped the screws in. I used to get nervous drilling through roofs, but now I just measure twice and go for it :)

I'm not going to lie, this was lots of work and a few trips to the hardware store for stuff

Last task, at hand was trying to figure out how to hoist the 80# roof rack, without causing any damage. I never seem to be able to find anyone to help, when I need to do crap like this. I pulled the cushions out of my camper and used them as a slide . tailgate down, hoist it to the tailgate, position the cushions so they protect the back, carefully slide it up. The second set of cushions were strategically placed forward, so I could jimmy it on them as I went forward

Made a few adjustments and tightened things up. I have to mess with a few legs yet, but it actually is sturdy and can be driven, I didn't notice any noise on the highway either. I may adjust the height, but it will require reworking the mounts a bit

Next up , placing and mounting the Baja Designs S2's 3 on each side and probably a 20" stealth in amber, for the back. Then of course, pre wiring the rack

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior