Adding roof rack to fiberglass truck cap

eugene

Explorer
I want to add a rack to the top of my fiberglass truck cap to allow me to move some gear to the top. I can't decide between welding up some tubing or going to the junk yard and pull one off of a suv, any one does either and have pros or cons of each way?
I know I'll need to reinforce the inside of the cap, it has a sheet of plywood sandwiched into the roof so I want to make some side supports that tie into that as well as bolt to the underside of the roof rack. I'd also like to run the supports through the bottom of the cap and into the truck bed stake holes to get rid of the clamps that came with the cap. Need to come up with some way to hold the cap down tight while still providing support for the roof. I was thinking of using a turnbuckle going down into the stake holes and weld a nut onto the bottom that a bolt can go in from the hole in the side of the stake hole, but i don't see any way to tighten the turnbuckle without lifting the cap up. so I'm looking for ideas, suggestions or pictures there.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I was going to use an Xterra roof rack on a camper shell before I got my Softopper. That was to match my Frontier's rack. Any solid rack like that should be fine. Thule and Yakima also make systems for shells. That would provide a more proven method.

Clark White

Explorer
I was looking at the same two options, but ended up going with a Yakima instead. Looks cleaner, and for $200 total, I wouldn't have saved that much money by the time I purchased the steel to make it my self. I don't know what camper you have, but my Leer is actually rated for 450lbs as is (base model), and with 4 pads it is very solid. I climb up there to sleep in my basket and the camper doesn't bow in the least (I'm 200lbs). However, if you can find a nice tracked system at the junk yard, that will distribute the weight even better, and would be cheaper. If you find a decent factory rack that will fit, they are perfectly strong unless you will be beating the crap out of them. If you want pictures I can get them for you tomorrow, just let me know.

Clark

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Your rack choice should be dependent on what you want to put up there. You just said "gear" but we need more information.

Is this for a tent? Boat? How much weight?

I went with a Yakima track solution mounted through the top the canopy that easily handles 150 lbs while moving, but not sure if that works for your needs...

Pete

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I saw a pretty cool design on a small truck a few years ago. The guy had built a roof rack that had supports that ran down around the outside of the shell and sat on the truck bed. That way there was no weight on the shell.

That part's not too uncommon, expecially on ladder racks. The cool thing that this guy did, though, was that he had a piece of tread plate (diamond plate) steel that extended out from between the truck bed and the shell to mount the upright supports on to.

The steel plate extended out about 3" past the sides of the shell so that he had something to walk on while he was loading / unloading the roof rack. It also served as a rub rail.

Hope you can picture that. I didn't get photos.

eugene

Explorer
I've seen those ladder racks which fit outside the cap. Part of the reason I want an inside frame is to eliminate the clamps, they stick out too far and are always catching on things.

Rhe cap I have is made by Ranch. I hadn't heard of them before but I bought it used. Its humped up in the middle like an SUV so I'm thinking a suburban rack might fit well.

IMG_4543.JPG

hmm, can't link to google?

Last edited:

theMec

Adventurer
If you were planning on putting much weight on the rack attached to your shell, I'd stay away from driving too much 4x4 terrain. How much weight is too much? How much 4x4 is too much? At some point you'll find out. Depends on your shell construction also. Leers are pretty thin. A.R.E. are stouter.

Personally, I go with with a run of the the mill - over the shell Contractor's rack like this:
http://www.rackitinc.com/camperrack.html
Some of them are removeable except for the parts that fit on the bedrail / under the topper.

LXRACR

Observer
Camper shell rack...

I went with yakima Mega Warrior system and 2 crossbars. I have carried heavy items before without issue. You can always put a 3rd or 4th load bar to spread out the load as well. My shell is rated at 400 pounds on top, I wouldn't suggest getting even close to the limit though. The weight up top can really effect your road manners. Good luck, Jason

chnlisle

Adventurer
B4 Fwc

Before I had the FWC on my old T 100 I had a SnugTop and since I already owned a set of Yakimas I bought the top mount rail fixtures and mounted the racks on the bed cap. I carried a couple of kayaks along with various an sundry other things all up and down Baja without a problem.

LXRACR

Observer
Bug out bike...

Hello, that is my home built bug out bike. I bring it on extended trips to the desert, etc. I use it to fool around with and also as an emergency means of transportation. It is basically an adult sized "mini bike" with an 11 hp engine. I have a torque converter on it as well as a second fuel tank, head light, tail light and charging system. I have ATV tires on it. It will climb any hill, anywhere! Thanks, take care...Jason

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Very cool.

Any additional pics or an on-line write-up?

Jerry (love those types of things)

Sorry, once again, for the hi-jack. Maybe we can start a thread in the expedition motorcycle section.

Bigfeet

LXRACR said:
I went with yakima Mega Warrior system and 2 crossbars. I have carried heavy items before without issue. You can always put a 3rd or 4th load bar to spread out the load as well. My shell is rated at 400 pounds on top, I wouldn't suggest getting even close to the limit though. The weight up top can really effect your road manners. Good luck, Jason

What manufacture cap do you have?

Thanks,
Bigfeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior