Atl-atl's Dodge Ram 2500 Regular Cab Long Bed "documentation" thread.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
I totally saw your truck last week then. Looks good in person! How much longer ya here for? Hit me up if you wanna ski the Bird sometime.

Props to you on leaving Chicago! I was kind of surprised you had moved there, I'm happy to be out. Love the truck and your thread BTW. Saw it on Chicago CL a few times.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
I totally saw your truck last week then. Looks good in person! How much longer ya here for? Hit me up if you wanna ski the Bird sometime.

Hey yo, thanks for the compliment on the truck! Im back in Denver but If I make it back to SLC Ill hit you up.

Props to you on leaving Chicago! I was kind of surprised you had moved there, I'm happy to be out. Love the truck and your thread BTW. Saw it on Chicago CL a few times.

Well, it was with good reason I moved there. Unfortunately it was also with good reason why I left shortly thereafter. Thank you for the compliments.

:smiley_drive:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well its been a few weeks. As with the last update, not much going on with the truck. Until today that is! Finally found a used topper that is exactly correct for my truck. Its been two years that Ive been searching for a used white 8 foot 3rd gen Ram topper. I finally found one and grabbed it today, its really nice. Snugtop, not sure which model but it has tinted windows, sliders with screens, front sliding/tilting window, lights inside(non-led), LED 3rd brake light, carpeted interior. It has a few nicks and scratches and needs a little tlc but all in all its great for $600. This weekend Im going to clean out the interior, fix the sticky lock, wire up some LEDs inside, wire up the brake light and repair the screens. Also a buddy of mine sold me a HUGE awning for $100 since it was too big for his Ranger. Its an ARB and I thought the biggest they made was the 2500mm one but this thing is enormous, its gotta be over 100 inches long. Anyway, its perfect for my new topper! I just have to decide which side of the vehicle I want to put the awning. I really like the way the truck looks on the drivers side, not sure if I want to screw that up. Suggestions?

Also, I think this is going to be my camping setup this summer in lieu of an actual slide-in camper. This probably means Ill ditch my plastic bedliner in favor of a Bedrug. Anyone have experience with Bedrug? Im imagining the fully carpeted/padded interior would be pretty cozy.

33707607516_15f919d12b_b.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Looks good. You stole the awning. Great buy. A neighbor has an ARB on his Four Runner and showed me how easy they are to setup.
ARB's got a winner.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Thanks! Were having a mod party at my buddies shop so I should have the awning installed tomorrow as well as a bunch of other stuff on my list. Already picked up curtain rods and fabric and got about 50% of the way through sewing the new window coverings this evening. :sombrero: I went to Cabelas today and picked out a cot. Also stopped by a topper place to grab a new locking handle and some other parts. Probably going to wind up with a bedrug soon. Its not a full on camper but its gonna be a cozy little setup. Weather is supposed to be nice again by the end of next week so I need to be ready to test it out!

33637222281_99fce6cff1_b.jpg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Alright got some updates, although its not what I thought I would be updating today hah. I stumbled across a craigslist deal I couldnt refuse and spent the day picking up these wheels/tires and swapping them with my current setup. Absolutely stole these things off craigslist. 5 mint H2 wheels with 5 BFG ATs for a song so beautiful I wont even say the name. 2 of the tires are 90% and in great shape. The other 3 are crap. They are the stock size 315/70-17 that came on H2s.

Ive been researching H2 wheels on Dodge's for a long time now and have been waiting to scoop up a set. The one "issue" is the hub bore being smaller on the H2 wheels than the Dodge. Ive read 3 different ways to bore out the wheels. Machine shop, hole saw and router. So naturally at first I tried using a carbide bit to grind and it promptly clogged. So I thought heating the bit would help the aluminum fall out, nope, bit snapped off. Try #2, router. Holy ******** this worked so well!!! Once I got the hang of it each wheel only took about 5 minutes. SO glad I didnt give up and take them to a machine shop.

I can finally drive down the highway without wobbling!!! Although two of my tires are in pretty bad shape from uneven wear. Probably time for new 37s soon. If theres one thing I learned from this, I will not be fitting 40s without control arms and trimming, so 40s are probably not happening at least any time soon. Also, I can finally turn the steering wheel lock to lock for the first time in 3 years! hahaha:wings:

33743790906_8b317688d8_b.jpg

32941701114_93eff53c8a_b.jpg

32971715633_c404a4ae3f_b.jpg

33743780056_0bd34ce8f3_b.jpg

33399944370_267db5dd5b_b.jpg

33399949840_b222064e25_b.jpg

32941711704_76db4fdd3d_b.jpg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Mini update. Better pics and I got my ARB awning 95% done. Unfortunately since I mounted it directly to the topper its at a slight upward angle. The side support poles point up about 30% because of this so I cant set it up yet. I need to figure out a new piece thats a u-joint of sorts to replace the black plastic pieces the side support poles mount with.

Also washed the truck, Im really starting to like these H2 wheels. :victory:

32992147763_48908a6d48_b.jpg

32962002174_c7ab2fcd3a_b.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The H2's are a 17 x 8.5 with 5.5" of backspacing. They should be lighter than your old steelies.
Nice compromise wheel and the price was right.
Most 315's now are E rated so if you stay with that size it should be a stronger tire.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
The H2's are a 17 x 8.5 with 5.5" of backspacing. They should be lighter than your old steelies.
Nice compromise wheel and the price was right.
Most 315's now are E rated so if you stay with that size it should be a stronger tire.

Yeah, holding one of each in my hands I could feel the H2s were lighter than the steelies, Im sure theyre stronger as well.

I ditched the BFGs that came on the H2s and put on the 37" pro comps Ive been running. Im not going down in tire size hah! I dont want E rated tires either, this truck only weighs 6000lbs. I run 35f 32r psi and it rides really nice with Ds. Plus I like to air it down to around 12psi when I go offroad, D rated sidewalls will actually flex and get a lot of traction. Es are for diesels! :smiley_drive:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Lovely. The ideal truck right there!

Thank you!

Finished up my awning install yesterday. I replaced the plastic "pivot" pieces on the horizontal support poles with small heims and it works great! Its currently dumping snow here but in typical Denver fashion its going to be in the 70s in a couple days. Cant wait to take this puppy camping this weekend!!! Ive got more sewing to do and I need to clean out the back of the truck to make it a little nicer place to be.

33682728132_c3112e2d5f_b.jpg

33709316391_51b05285e5_b.jpg

33682730642_e3b2af7ddf_b.jpg

33025247323_cba3c471d0_b.jpg

33025247033_ca25ff8a48_b.jpg

Ashton

Nice rig! Reading this thread through was a great way to pass the slow day at work. If you ever need to find work, you could probably make some good money flipping redone campers. I've never considered one, not my style, but you make them look great!

Long bed regular cabs, ******.

Atl-atl

Adventurer

:victory:

Nice rig! Reading this thread through was a great way to pass the slow day at work. If you ever need to find work, you could probably make some good money flipping redone campers. I've never considered one, not my style, but you make them look great!

Long bed regular cabs, ******.

Thank you! I made a decent profit on both campers I remodeled. Believe me, my father(successful small business owner) and my mother(successful small business owner/seamstress) have been trying to figure out a business plan for a camper/RV remodeling type business that will actually work financially. Expedition Portal will be the first place to know about it, I promise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior