My homemade battery box

Plan B

I just had a need for a second battery in my travells that I do, to power my fridge and to run camp lights etc and instead of putting the second battery under the bonnet of my 80 series I decided to put it in a box so I could swap it from car to car and also to use at home for when the power goes out. (And it is even good for jump starting someone if they have a flat battery etc).

The basics on the box are that it has 4 cigarette plugs, a dual Usb charging port, 3 - 50 amp Anderson plugs, a single 120 amp Anderson plug, a 9 watt led light on the rear for a quick and handy light, 2 battery voltage and capacity meters on the front panel and the 1000watt pure sine wave inverter on the top.

Inside is a 120ah AGM battery which has a 100 amp fuse on top.

I mainly use the 50 amp Anderson plugs to charge from the rear of my cruiser (via a Anderson plug) and to also power my fridge (more of a direct connection), And also the third Anderson plug is to charge from a solar panel.

It worked out to be a little heavier than I intended but it does have a 120 ah AGM battery inside so apart from going to a lithium battery I guess it's as light as it's going to get.

I just thought I'd show anyone here intending to build a battery box that is interested and I have to say that I'm quite happy with the way it's turned out.

image.jpg3_zpsv6qj082s.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsbrnperkh.jpg

image.jpg2_zpstnw9ylk5.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsyqb5vdhl.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsd2e3pvap.jpg

image.jpg9_zpsd0ycjiyh.jpg

image.jpg8_zpskofj5yte.jpg

Plan B

Very nicely done, do you have an issue with heat inside the box?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

I did do a test as such and I had the inverter powering a few different things at once and it was drawing around 9 amps for well over a couple of hours and nothing was getting even slightly warm, (With the lid on and all closed up).
The inverter has its own fan and because it's a 1000 watt inverter it seems to cope with the heat no problems.

reidbailey

Observer
Looks great! Really like that battery meter. Will you share more info on it or a link where you purchased it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Very nice, versatile connections and very professional. I do not see how you have hydrogen-vented it, though? If the lid is a loose fit that would be enough for charging most AGM batteries, but it looks very snug.

Excellent kit!

Plan B

Just how heavy is that? You may have a just created a new marketable product for overlanders. The "PowerBox".

Yes the battery is no different to any other 120ah AGM. Around 31kg (68lbs) from memory and the case wouldn't be any more than 10kg (22lbs) or so.

But yes it's certainly heavy to carry around too far, but I wanted the bigger reserve of the 120ah battery so it doesn't worry me much.

Plan B

Very nice, versatile connections and very professional. I do not see how you have hydrogen-vented it, though? If the lid is a loose fit that would be enough for charging most AGM batteries, but it looks very snug.

Excellent kit!

Yes there are three holes from the battery to the top compartment and around the inverter has Fins all the way around which lets air circulate and the front panel would let air through. But yes, I agree the more ventilation the better.

Thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__

Members online