G with Diesel and Airbags?

ILIAN

Adventurer
The hitch receiver has always been a bolt on piece and you should be able to find something for less than $900. You could probably have one made by a fabricator for less than $500. One negative aspect of G's from 09-12 (I think) is the fact you can only lock the diffs in low range. Not sure if somebody has found a solution for this.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The hitch receiver has always been a bolt on piece and you should be able to find something for less than $900. You could probably have one made by a fabricator for less than $500.

Not possible on the 2009-2012 NA G's. The plate for the bolt on receiver is not there.

Jwestpro

Explorer
The hitch receiver has always been a bolt on piece and you should be able to find something for less than $900. You could probably have one made by a fabricator for less than $500. One negative aspect of G's from 09-12 (I think) is the fact you can only lock the diffs in low range. Not sure if somebody has found a solution for this.

If Dutch didn't make it clear enough, 2009-2012 does not have anything to bolt said parts onto. There is something to be said for the welded mount to be included in the galvanizing and wax dipping of the frame as well as the precision of alignment.

Why do you think you would ever need to lock a front or rear differential in high range? The 4ETS system is very good for roads where you might be traveling over 30 mph.

ILIAN

Adventurer
OK, sorry bout that, didn't know these G's don't have the plate for the receiver hitch. If I was driving thru deep snow I would engage the diffs and keep it in high gear so I'm not crawling. I don't have experience with these newer electronic systems but I think locking the differentials is still the best you can do in deep snow. (12"+) Sometimes you need low gear in snow but usually high gear is needed to keep going at a decent speed.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
If Dutch didn't make it clear enough, 2009-2012 does not have anything to bolt said parts onto. There is something to be said for the welded mount to be included in the galvanizing and wax dipping of the frame as well as the precision of alignment.

Another little "Gotcha" is that, with the newer G's that do have a trailer hitch, there is no prewired connection in the wiring harness for a brake controller. This is really a stupid oversight on MB's part. Above a certain trailer weight (well under the 7,000 lb towing limit for the G), a brake controller is mandatory in many jurisdictions. I wonder how they expect to have a brake controller wired in by an aftermarket supplier, what with all the computerized nannies in the electrical circuits of the G.

Ganz verrückt!!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Another little "Gotcha" is that, with the newer G's that do have a trailer hitch, there is no prewired connection in the wiring harness for a brake controller. This is really a stupid oversight on MB's part. Above a certain trailer weight (well under the 7,000 lb towing limit for the G), a brake controller is mandatory in many jurisdictions. I wonder how they expect to have a brake controller wired in by an aftermarket supplier, what with all the computerized nannies in the electrical circuits of the G.

Ganz verrückt!!

That is goofy but Land Rover doesn't have a nice way to interface either that I am aware of, at least not on the Discovery 3 or 4. Land Cruiser however does have it I'm pretty sure I rear recently.

I know on my LR the hitch shop was able to just connect it to the normal things within the braking system.

It sure is annoying though because the factory could integrate these things very easily even if they just make it a small $ option to choose.

Regarding the towing "limit" though, why do you suppose the G is listed at 7000 and not even the 7716 for Land Rover and no where near the 8200 (8500 previously) on the Land Cruiser? They all have essentially the same wheelbase, weigh similarly and have actual ladder frames (LR is actually a hybrid of unibody-on-frame). The G having 2 solid beam axles and steel springs, the Land Cruiser an independent front but solid axle rear both under steel springs, and the Land Rover no steel springs or solid axles with air struts and independent front a rear.

It seems very odd to me. The G's short rear axle to receiver ought to help it be more stable than say my LR3 with it's long distance axle to hitch and air springs. Could it be as simple as the factory springs supplied being the sole limiting factor on the G? The LR3 air struts can only do but so much so while they are incredible up to a certain limit, there is no real way to increase the safe or structural limit. The G or Land Cruiser however can both be fitted with various springs and dampers according to the purpose.

I suppose the other primary factor could be how the receiver attaches to the vehicle/frame.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
That is goofy but Land Rover doesn't have a nice way to interface either that I am aware of, at least not on the Discovery 3 or 4. Land Cruiser however does have it I'm pretty sure I rear recently.

Both the ML and GL have the brake controller connector pre-wired with the factory towing option. Maybe, on the G, it's not there because a hitch is not a factory option. Looking at the MBUSA website for the G-Class, it mentions "aftermarket" when talking about a hitch and towing capability.

dylanmitchell

There are few diesels making there way to the US. the G Wagen Diesel, the Landcruiser Diesel, the Prado Diesel, the Defender Diesel, and more. Mercedes makes excellent diesels and Toyota diesels are very reliable. The US receives luxurious trim and thirsty gas engines.

For a vehicle with airbags you have the Range Rover Sport, G Wagens (gas versions), Landcrusier/ 4Runner (LX570/ GX 460), and tons of American SUV's and 4 door trucks (none which are close to the Defender or G Wagen).

For a Daily Driver on the Road the TRD Pro is an excellent vehicle... or a GX 460 with full time all wheel drive and the V8 though you give up a true locker option.

otiswesty

Regular guy

Why do you think you would ever need to lock a front or rear differential in high range? The 4ETS system is very good for roads where you might be traveling over 30 mph.

I have the frame piece that receives the tow hitch. No need to buy the $900+ Renntech kit if you can find it.
I cut it off of a used rust free Gwagen frame. I had thought I may buy a 2009-2012 G550/G55 one day, but really prefer the older classic style.
It just needs to be welded on the rear frame member and the gas tank protection plate modified or replaced. The hitch wiring plugs are already on the wiring harness in the left rear of the vehicle, even on MBUSA '09-'12 vehicles.
Let me know if you are interested in this piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94