My trailer electrical box

jwilson2598

Adventurer
It's been a while, but I finally got around to adding solar to this

I've been wanting to add solar options to my power box to allow for charging when camping without having to use the Jeep. Recently I ordered a Renogy 100W panel and Ctek D250S dual charger. The Ctek will allow me to replace my existing Toad Charger for vehicle charging and incorporate the solar as well. It should also charge faster than the Toad Charge did.

Here's the setup inside now:

65017f6c40e4f83d73d4479c038f82ed.jpg

I also added an extra waterproof high current socket for hooking up the panel below my normal outlets. I also wanted a quick visual check, so I added a voltmeter as well so I can check the battery voltage at a glance:

eb1438d826a69fc54bf68033a841d0bb.jpg
For some reasons I can't see your pics of the new setup. What you have done so far is awesome! Great job! I would like to install something like this on my trailer but I am still so confused on where to start. I would love to get some kind of electric in the trailer for some led lights before july.

Not sure why certain pictures were missing, but I went ahead and reuploaded them, so they should be working now.

rudee13

looking good! I have a similar set up and can appreciate what you've done. what 5lb tank mount did you use and how do you like it? thx

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hooligans805

I've been wanting to add solar options to my power box to allow for charging when camping without having to use the Jeep. Recently I ordered a Renogy 100W panel and Ctek D250S dual charger. The Ctek will allow me to replace my existing Toad Charger for vehicle charging and incorporate the solar as well. It should also charge faster than the Toad Charge did.

5677571b53b9553ca1be110a37c29ebb.jpg

I also added an extra waterproof high current socket for hooking up the panel below my normal outlets. I also wanted a quick visual check, so I added a voltmeter as well so I can check the battery voltage at a glance:

0d9a17616d7d70d45c456f8cbbfba876.jpg
I really love what you have done! do you have a schematic of the wire gauge you used? I see the wiring diagram but just wanted to know what gauge of wire was used going to each piece. Thanks so much

jwilson2598

Adventurer

I really love what you have done! do you have a schematic of the wire gauge you used? I see the wiring diagram but just wanted to know what gauge of wire was used going to each piece. Thanks so much

I don’t have a schematic of the wire gauges, but I know I used 10-12 gauge for the bigger stuff like battery charger feeds and the fridge plug, and 14 or 16 gauge for the smaller stuff. For the inverter to battery wires I used a set of large gauge wires, which were an inverter wiring kit from Harbor Freight.

Hooligans805

I don’t have a schematic of the wire gauges, but I know I used 10-12 gauge for the bigger stuff like battery charger feeds and the fridge plug, and 14 or 16 gauge for the smaller stuff. For the inverter to battery wires I used a set of large gauge wires, which were an inverter wiring kit from Harbor Freight.

Awesome! That will help me out! Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudee13

Google search "wire gauge guide" for a handy pdf guide for wiring run lengths and correct gauges. helped me a bunch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hooligans805

Jwilson2598 I have a quick question. What is the piece that is going between your ctek dual charger and the battery? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasatchmax

Hi all, I’m working on replicating this to some degree and I can’t seem to get power to my Ctek. I have it connected to the 12v power from my 7 way break out with a 30a fuse in between. Is this not the correct way to wire it?

Last edited:

Wasatchmax

Hi all, I’m working on replicating this to some degree and I can’t seem to get power to my Ctek. I have it connected to the 12v power from my 7 way break out with a 30a fuse in between. Is this not the correct way to wire it?
Figured it out. Needed to run a negative wire from the CTEK to the ground in the 7 plug ?

Here’s a link to a video I put over her about how to wire the CTEK to a 7 way plug,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne