Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

DzlToy

Explorer
Much of the modern world runs on advertising, which is akin to sponsorship. Companies like MyFace, TweetBox and Googleplex make a huge amount of their revenue from ads, since they have no viable product or service to offer the world that anyone would actually pay for, that is. :D

If Steve can use his video or promotional skills to get products or services for this project, then kudos to him. It is done in every other form or racing, motorsports, by X-Overland, G7 Expedition and many others. Sales and advertising is what makes the world go 'round.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Very cool story and congrats on the van! Trailer wise have you guys looked into scamp or casita trailers? Might be a great option for you guys versus airstream.
Good luck!

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Casitas are cool, as are Olivera and bigfoots. We haven't seen any of those in person yet. We absolutely love the Airstreams though.

justcuz

Explorer
I would think for towing you would want to lower your center of gravity. Looks like you have some nice long front springs, maybe remove a leaf at a time and lower the rear with shorter blocks if that's what it has. Ford has had several sizes of rear lift blocks over the years.
Are you sure you don't have a Sterling rear axle?

sixstringsteve

Explorer
it's got drums in the back, so it's not a sterling. While a lower COG would help with towing, I need 4x4, so there really wasn't another option.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Hey Steve,
The wife and I are in a similar position...she hates road trips, but wants to travel and explore...so she is slowly coming around to the idea of selling the house and going full time in an RV...in her words..."it has to be cute" I don't know what exactly means, but we are deep in the RV hunt just like you guys. Probably end up with a Class C and tow the wife's TJ Wrangler for the off road excursions. One day I'll get her a more expeditionary vehicle.
Looking forward to the Fred build.
Digging the youtube channel, too

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Hey Steve,
The wife and I are in a similar position...she hates road trips, but wants to travel and explore...so she is slowly coming around to the idea of selling the house and going full time in an RV...in her words..."it has to be cute" I don't know what exactly means, but we are deep in the RV hunt just like you guys. Probably end up with a Class C and tow the wife's TJ Wrangler for the off road excursions. One day I'll get her a more expeditionary vehicle.

If you're talking about selling your house and full timing it. I would dare say class B would be about as small as you'll want to go if you towing a vehicle. This based off of the experiences I have witnessed with my parents and their 5th wheel. You going to want to entertain and enclimate weather interior space is a premium. Just my opinion.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Hey Steve,

Awesome. We like class Cs. I think a TJ would be a great toad.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
So, the two suspensions bouncing around in my head are a 6" UJOR kit, or an agile offroad D50 TTB suspension. I drive far more washboard roads than roads with rocks the size of basketballs on them. I understand both suspension systems will do both types of offroading, but I'm a big fan of IFS. Then again, I'm a big fan of the simplicity of the UJOR kit with a solid axle D60. I'm most likely going to go with the UJOR kit, especially since Agile is so tough to get ahold of.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I've decided on a 6" UJOR kit. Chris has been awesome, as expected, and I can't wait to get this thing done. I like projects and I like builds, but life's kinda crazy right now and I'll be excited to have this thing driving with the new suspension. Fortunately I have lots of good friends who are willing to help. It's my DD, so I'm betting I'll be getting a few rides to work for the next few weeks once my springs arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz