Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Fantastic! You will not regret it. And, being able to do a direct comparison between the different 4wd conversions is not something everyone can do. A short before and after video segment might be in order...

screwball48

Explorer
It would be cool to see a before and after video from inside the van. Maybe take the same course of light traffic and a little rough road. It would be neat if you could match speed both trips and place a bobble head doll in front of the camera both times then Do a split screen so that we could compare how the dolls head moves. This would give an idea of ride quality before and after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Great ideas! I'll make sure to do that. Anyone else have any other great ideas for the before/after videos or the build thread videos?

I'll also remember to measure vehicle height before and after this time. I always forget to do that on my builds.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I have 2 questions for the van gurus.

1) I can get a sterling axle with 4.10s for $400. The sterling seems like an improvement over my drub brake D60 in the rear. What do you think? Is it a good upgrade worth $400?

2) I dig the square headlights on the cargo vans. My van is a '97. I've found a few '97s with the square lights. Can I bolt up a grill and lights from an '03 to fit my front clip, or are they different?

I want to go from this:
396_Hipwell_1.JPG

To this:
4x4_E350_by_boulder_offroad.2984121_std.JPG

Would this kit work? It says it's only compatible with '03+
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-FORD-...PCS-/201326350350?hash=item2edffc500e&vxp=mtr

I'd also love to ditch the Ford emblem on the front. Does it have holes that go through the hood, or is it just a big sticker?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
With a green van a subdued (black green) captain America shield would awesome

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

philos

Explorer
AFAIK, you don't need the whole grill to swap to the rectangular sealed beams. Just the two bezels (one per side), and some clips, in addition to whatever you'll be using for lights.
1992-2007 should be good for years on these as well.

I'd just head out to your local junkyard and pull a set of bezels and whatever else it looked like it needed.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
It is probably worth noting that standard off the shelf sealed beams suck for light output. Though I don't know how good your current lights are either. If you are going to swap to sealed beams I would plan on upgrading to one of the led options (truck lights?) or going with a hid swap.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Yeah, my current lights suck right now anyway. Regsrdless, I'm going to need some serious upgrades in the lighting department.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
"Brighter" sealed beams

It is probably worth noting that standard off the shelf sealed beams suck for light output. Though I don't know how good your current lights are either. If you are going to swap to sealed beams I would plan on upgrading to one of the led options (truck lights?) or going with a hid swap.

I needed some rectangular lots in a hurry, the guy at the parts store claimed the 30% brighter sealed beam halogens were worth the extra money... I call BS! I might as well only have parking lights on (not quite that bad, but almost). I reinstalled some Hella halogen driving lights, and when they come on, I can see forever, without them, forget driving outside the city limits at night.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Are you sure it's the lights and oxydized front lense? Do your lights look cloudy?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne