LC 100 or LX470 3rd Row Seating - Passenger Pics

bs1865

Observer
I've searched online, but can't seem to find any good pics of passengers in the 3rd row of 100 series or a LX470. I'm wanting to see how a 6-10 year old child would fit in the 3rd row, using only one side of the seat. The other would be used for the Engel and/or gear. Is it reasonable for a pre-teen child to do well in the 3rd row for extended trips?

Please give me the good and bad for using the 3rd row for passengers. How about adults for short trips?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
My 9 YO girls fit back there individually, and sometime really like it... Other times they don't if the road is bouncy... If the dog is riding in one side without the seat down and one of the girls is back there they complain it's tight. I would think with a larger fridge mounted next to them it might be a bit claustrophobic. Whatever you choose, the fridge would probably have to go on the driver side, so you only have to flip the smaller of the seats forward for entry/exit of the third row. I used this configuration when they brought a friend once with a 37q fridge... Now we have rear drawers, so only the fridge and dog go back there. The rest in the adventure trailer!

lcgeek

Observer
The seats are the width of the seat cushion off the floor, so knees up position riding. No ideal for long distances for longer legged kids. Can a kid tolerate it or even like it? Depends on their attitude and where you are going :)

richmondbob

Adventurer
Last three years we've regularly taken our niece on trips with us with her sitting on one seat in the third row and other items next to her. She's 11 now and never complained and kinda likes being away from our 'younger' kids. If we didn't have the LC she'd have less opportunity to go on trips since she's in a single-parent home where money can be tighter.

If you know you won't need the other third row seat, take it out for more room since it sticks out past the wheel well when in the up position. My only condition is that everything next to her has to be bolted or strapped down - probably something to do with flipping our Wagoneer in 2012.

I'll see if I can find a picture or two.

94monster

Observer
Went from a 7 passenger Montero to the 100 series partially because of the bigger third row. Seem to have at least one extra kid most of the time. My oldest is 11 and she and her friends have never complained about the 3rd row. As long as they have something to do they are fine... It's definitely knee's up they don't seem to care

r3run33

Adventurer
for kids especially pre teen you will have no problem what so ever; I even have put adults back there for football game trips etc when all of us are carpooling (usually the smaller girls volunteered). My only complaint I ever heard was when we were on a trail and doing some deep moguls or holes; the kids would say its a bit "tippy" or "rocks back from side to side etc" I think that is only from being a little higher up in seat level height compared to front or even 2nd row passengers being lower ride height in the cabin. My one daughter usually loves being back there cause she is in charge of the cooler and passing out snacks and drinks..

CSG

Explorer
I removed mine within a couple days. Takes up lots of space, adds weight, and my kids didn't like sitting back there.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've searched online, but can't seem to find any good pics of passengers in the 3rd row of 100 series or a LX470. I'm wanting to see how a 6-10 year old child would fit in the 3rd row, using only one side of the seat. The other would be used for the Engel and/or gear. Is it reasonable for a pre-teen child to do well in the 3rd row for extended trips?

Please give me the good and bad for using the 3rd row for passengers. How about adults for short trips?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I sold my cherry LC given the 3rd row just wasn't going to cut it. Replaced it with a Sequoia which has a full three across 3rd row which is nearly identical to the Sienna mini van.

The LC issue was that the space between the 2nd row seat back and the 3rd row seat bottom is too small. An adult sitting back there with only half the rear seat in place can sit sideways and make it work for short trips. A young child like my kids where they are dealing with a booster or full on kids 5 point car seat they would need to place their feet up on the back of the 2nd row seat back against grandpas ears and shoulders. I loved my LC it was hard to sell it but moving to the Sequoia was the right call. We have workable room and even an adult or two can ride in the 3rd row when needed. We put 8 in it not long ago for a trip into SF with some family. My 6yr old sat in the back with two cousins who were 16yrs old and 14yrs old plenty of room for feet no sitting sideways to fit etc, then we had two grand parents and an Uncle in the 2nd row and my wife and I in the front seats. Worked just fine everyone had plenty of space. My old LC we would have only been able to put one person in the 3rd row with that group given there just would not have been enough space.

Also the second row flip up was 50/50 in my LC which prevented me from putting a kids car seat center and flip up the seat for 3rd row access. The Sequoia is 60/40 I can have two car seats belted into the 60% and flip up the 40% for 3rd row access.

I loved the LC but the 3rd row really is just short temporary over flow seating and not really very operational for regular use.

o-verland

Has anyone retrofit a 3rd row into a 100 that didn't come with them? My truck seems to be the oddity and didn't come with a third row, but I'd like them. The truck was too nice to pass up, and I have access to a friend's set of seats, but my floorpan isn't ready for it. It would be overflow for me also. Kids and their friends getting across town.

oliverlove

Adventurer
I sold my cherry LC given the 3rd row just wasn't going to cut it. Replaced it with a Sequoia which has a full three across 3rd row which is nearly identical to the Sienna mini van.

The LC issue was that the space between the 2nd row seat back and the 3rd row seat bottom is too small. An adult sitting back there with only half the rear seat in place can sit sideways and make it work for short trips. A young child like my kids where they are dealing with a booster or full on kids 5 point car seat they would need to place their feet up on the back of the 2nd row seat back against grandpas ears and shoulders. I loved my LC it was hard to sell it but moving to the Sequoia was the right call. We have workable room and even an adult or two can ride in the 3rd row when needed. We put 8 in it not long ago for a trip into SF with some family. My 6yr old sat in the back with two cousins who were 16yrs old and 14yrs old plenty of room for feet no sitting sideways to fit etc, then we had two grand parents and an Uncle in the 2nd row and my wife and I in the front seats. Worked just fine everyone had plenty of space. My old LC we would have only been able to put one person in the 3rd row with that group given there just would not have been enough space.

Also the second row flip up was 50/50 in my LC which prevented me from putting a kids car seat center and flip up the seat for 3rd row access. The Sequoia is 60/40 I can have two car seats belted into the 60% and flip up the 40% for 3rd row access.

I loved the LC but the 3rd row really is just short temporary over flow seating and not really very operational for regular use.

What?? You sold one of the most capable offroad vehicles currently sold and bought a minivan?
Thats a very odd decision to advertise here.

texuslexas

If you want to see me (a 6’5” man) sitting in the third row of my 2004 Lexus LX470, I put together this thorough review. I cover the pros and cons of the lx470 third row seats, as well as third row dimensions and the Lexus LX470 cargo space. You were right, it’s very hard to find this information and my assumption as to why is many young families couldn’t afford this vehicle brand new. I know when I bought my 2004 LX470 from the original owner he gave me the third row seats wrapped in plastic - never used! Well, I hope this helps! Hit me up with any more questions and I’ll try and answer them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier