Considering 2005 G55 in Chicago but concerned about rust.

colo77bronco

I found this 65,000 mile 2005 G55 at LuxCars in Chicago. From the history report, it looks like it only had 9,000 miles until 2010 and then had 51,000 miles on it by 2012 when it was owned in New York. It looks like it has been driven minimally again until now. My only concern is RUST. The pictures of the interior and paint are beautiful. There is rust on the bolt holding the brush guard on the front bumper but it looks otherwise new. How much of a problem do people run into with undercarriage rust on these vehicles? It has a 2 tone white and black interior that I am in love with but don't want to compromise on a rust bucket. Thanks for your help.

RW

Jwestpro

Explorer
Simple, get the place to put it on a lift and take an array of shots underneath. However, if it were me, I would not say "I'm worried about rust and won't buy it if it shows too much". I would simply state "I want to be sure it looks normal and I just like to see all surfaces before committing a deposit and setting up payment."

If it were a Land Rover, I'd be more worried about the rust but the G is protected better right from the factory so it actually should look pretty decent.

If I were you, I'd want a trained G mechanic to go through it first, or at least a local Benz dealer tech. If you could arrange that, then when it's with them you could be more forthright about seeing photos of the underside and what ever else, maybe even talking on the phone with the tech who would have no real interest in you buying it or not. Doing this should cost maybe $100-$200.

colo77bronco

Thank god I had pictures taken of the undercarriage. Looks like a sunken ship under there. The body and interior were flawless. Bummer.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Thank god I had pictures taken of the undercarriage. Looks like a sunken ship under there. The body and interior were flawless. Bummer.

Seriously, really? Maybe it wasn't taken care of either. Meaning, never sprayed underneath, etc. I would always hose my vehicles off underneath after a trip to the mtns in snow/salt because I want stuff to last and not just corrode away.

I'd say their price was not reflecting what you saw. How did you go about it anyway out of curiosity?

colo77bronco

I told them that I would like 9-10 photos documenting the condition of the undercarriage or a 5 day inspection period so I could send it back if there was an issue. It looked like the titanic. Everything else was so perfect I am really bummed. I have a strong dislike for black interiors and this was white leather and just beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94