How desirable is 4Matic?

ILIAN

Adventurer
All newer G's are full time AWD with locking transfer case differential and locking axle differentials on both. With a G you will not have traction problems under any conditions. 2002+ G's also have ESP(electronic stability program). I believe 4 matic is full time AWD combined with limited slip differentials and ESP. I think ESP also incorporates ASR (anti slip regulation) which applies the brakes to the spinning wheels. If I'm wrong about any of this please someone chime in.

Don Raptor

Observer
4Matic is the Mercedes term for 4 tires being driven somehow. 4Matic doesn't specify what type it is (switchable 4WD like in G's, AWD combined standard RW like S-Class or combined with standard FWD like the GLA's).
the G's (as far as I know) always had 4 wheels driven (by switable 4WD or in the newer ones AWD). AWD is usually the safer variant (as all wheels are driven all the time) but also have the disadvantage of higher fuel consumption...
ESP always includes ASR. ESP is the stability program, ASR the traction control. ESP (and ASR) act on brakes and engine control management.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Is it much better than non-4Matic? What percentage of Gs have it?

I think what's on the G is not called "4 matic". That system is on the non-4wd vehicles and is basically the MB version of Audi Quattro, BMW xdrive, Subaru, etc. The G has "4ETS". You can read up on it on the MB website or by searching the web for it.

The G's have been similar to the Land Rovers and Land Cruisers over time with things in the 90's being simpler and "full time 4WD". My 1996 Discovery, then the 2004 got a little fancier traction management but the Discovery 3 is where they went nuts with computerized traction. I do think MB has kept it a bit simpler on the G but there are some computer programs at work in the newest ones like 2013+ for trailer sway and the like.

burquedoka

Adventurer
4matic is equivalent to AWD at best. Don't confuse AWD with the system in our Gs. The G wagen is, and always has been either selectable four wheel drive (460) and or full time four wheel drive (463). AWD is a totally different animal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94