Ubco 2x2 electric bike

haven

Expedition Leader
Ubco is a New Zealand company that is developing an electric utility bike. It's called the 2x2 because both wheels are equipped with electric motors. Range is reported to be about 60 miles on a charge, but I'd be a little bit skeptical about that. Load capacity is 200 kg / 440 lb (including rider). Could make a nice machine to take along as a dinghy for your ExPo truck.

www.ubco.com

View attachment 300377

Short video here
https://vimeo.com/125858743

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Being quiet is cool, but I like the Motoped better. Way more range, and its not completely futt buckin ugly. I could have swore the US militaty, or maybe someone on their behalf, did one of these years back. Last I heard of it. Seems control was a bit of an issue with a driven front wheel, or something like that.

haven

Expedition Leader
It should be a simple matter to install a switch to turn the front motor on and off as the terrain requires. Just thinking out loud.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It should be a simple matter to install a switch to turn the front motor on and off as the terrain requires. Just thinking out loud.

Wheres the motor, in the hub? If so it might not be that easy I think. Normally if you remove power from an electric motor, but drive it mechanically, doesnt it then become a generator, and a brake?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
Theres most likely gear reduction in the hub, so it could just be a matter of putting it in neutral.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Normally if you remove power from an electric motor, but drive it mechanically, doesnt it then become a generator, and a brake?

Only if there is an electrical load on it. Otherwise it freewheels/flywheels.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
This bike probably uses a brushless DC motor.
Its multiple rotor magnets attracting to its stator coilposts can make it quite resistive to freewheel.

True, but without an electric load it won't act as a generator or brake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles