Steel vs. Aluminum for bumpers?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
We tagged a deer at 60-65mph yesterday in the van while on our way home from the San Juans just north of Ridgeway. I can give a Huge 2 Thumbs up for the Aluminess front bumper. It did the job and then some. Lower edge and the light 'bucket' got bent inward a bit but that was it. Zero body or frame damage. Happened so fast there wasn't even time to hit the brakes. Thankfully my Family and our beloved van Agnes came out AOK.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dayummm, glad you're ok!!

I know this does not answer anything...but Aluminess stuff sure look cool. :)
View attachment 301471

Much better on the '08+ vans IMHO since the brush guard bars contour well to the headlights (-'07 don't as much).

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
So I'll be going with a custom set of aluminum bumpers where I can setup the design how I need.

When you get to this point, if you don't already have a home for your current rear bumper, let me know. I'd be interested in trying to fit that beast on my truck.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
When you get to this point, if you don't already have a home for your current rear bumper, let me know. I'd be interested in trying to fit that beast on my truck.

Now this is what I call recycling! ;)
I'd be honored to get it [back] to you Brad; no better home for this beast.

Paddy

Adventurer
Now this is what I call recycling! ;)
I'd be honored to get it [back] to you Brad; no better home for this beast.
This is also a good point for aluminum. Even in a worst case scenario, the aluminum bumper will always be worth probably 75$ in scrap even mangled.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Here is a steel tube bumper I built for my personal van.

We built a fixture for this type of tube bumper if anyone is interested... give us a call or pm... Thanks

Last edited:

SidewayZ

Beautiful!! Wow, that is art!

I like that style of bumper you built. If I would change one thing it would be your tube connecting to the outside of the bumper, land that on the framerail. Its not doing you much good where you have it. Im all about designing for load paths and stength. I love the way the Aluminess front bumpers look and I love their work and welds, but having all those dead aluminum tubes isn't really what I would recommend, to anyone. Case in point. The sportsmobile below suffered a collision on the passenger side of the bumper. Collision was low, but pushed the dead tube coming up around the headlight into the engine compartment. Now, I am not a fire investigator nor claim to be, but my guess is the positive wire headed to the battery was pinched and grounded out causing a fire in the engine compartment spreading to the dash of the vehicle. So, if you are going to build a bumper, think load paths. My experience coming from off road racing and building bumpers that get repeatedly nerfed at high speeds (70+ miles an hour).

20150915_100152.jpg20150915_100152.jpg20150915_100152.jpg20150915_100152.jpg

pfacdb

Solution to this no-sleep dilemma; steel on front aluminum rear

This thread seems to sum up the state of many things presented here, and everyone has their opinion. While the strength and durability of aluminum bumpers is well documented here, i thought I'd suggest that if you can't sleep over this decision, get both.

Boulder Offroad vans fabricated our front bumper from steel, whereas the rear and box are from Aluminess. We couldn't be happier with both, although Boulder Offroad did need to add some supports to the Aluminess bumpers to keep it from slumping.

12039367_10206061291590116_2554322130572889601_n.jpg

Gar.

I'm building out of steel primarily due to material cost, but if my numbers are right my front bumper shouldn't be more than about 150lbs...guess we'll see.

Side note, when I was a full time skydiver I wore aluminum sunglasses (Gatorz) and destroyed a pair each summer due to sweat salt corrosion. You don't want to know what the wing interiors looked like on some of those 182s and Otters! Aluminum can and will experience corrosion, although differently than steel.

How about titanium for weight and corrosion? :bike_rider:

You destroyed a pair of Gatorz every summer? I own several pair of the same sunglasses, one pair since 2003(?). Im also a skydiver, have been since 1988. Never had any corrosion on any of my Gatorz, guess I don't sweat as much as you. 樂

Gar

derjack

Adventurer
If your Truck has Airbags - which is part of standard from ~ mid 90ies - you would probably want them to work in an accident???

I personally wouldn´t want to risk my life due to "better" looks. Because after an accident - "the looks" get to be an very relative value.

another_mike

Adventurer
If your Truck has Airbags - which is part of standard from ~ mid 90ies - you would probably want them to work in an accident???

I personally wouldn´t want to risk my life due to "better" looks. Because after an accident - "the looks" get to be an very relative value.
What? Do you know how airbag sensors work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles