Alaskan Camper '84/'14 Build Thread

ripperj

Explorer
I didn’t do anything unique, I had lots of great ideas, but I was sick of it being in my garage and just went similar to stock except for the the radius part for the cabover.
I think I have some pics, I’ll look and post em up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dotar

Thanks!

I really enjoyed reading. What a great job!

Also, I understand your like for Festool products. Track saw is probably my favorite, but you might look at the jig saw as well. The circle cutter attachment is awesome and just like the track saw there’s no tear-out. Their router has the best dust collection I’ve seen.

One question. Since the ARB fridge/freeze works on both 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC, why use the inverter for power with the loss of efficiency over just running DC from the battery?

I’m totally amazed at your accomplishment. Wish I could have your talent.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The rebuild is fabulous sir. Very impressed at the results. From looking at the cabinet construction, I'd guess that you were a cabinet-guy at some point. Were you? Did you use a lot of Festool during the project?

Loosegravel

Beautiful work. Your Alaskan remindes me of George Washington's ax, all original except for the head and handle. I have a ‘64 8' NCO Alaskan that I have been rebuilding/modifying on an as needed basis for almost twenty years.

ripperj

Explorer
I really enjoyed reading. What a great job!

Also, I understand your like for Festool products. Track saw is probably my favorite, but you might look at the jig saw as well. The circle cutter attachment is awesome and just like the track saw there’s no tear-out. Their router has the best dust collection I’ve seen.

One question. Since the ARB fridge/freeze works on both 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC, why use the inverter for power with the loss of efficiency over just running DC from the battery?

I’m totally amazed at your accomplishment. Wish I could have your talent.

Thanks for the kudos and Festool Tips, I do need a better jigsaw.

The way I have the ARB set-up, it runs on 110 when I’m plugged into shore power, but DC otherwise. The Magnum inverter has a 110 sensing relay that opens when no input power available.

ripperj

Explorer
The rebuild is fabulous sir. Very impressed at the results. From looking at the cabinet construction, I'd guess that you were a cabinet-guy at some point. Were you? Did you use a lot of Festool during the project?

Thanks!
I have built up a nice shop over several decades. (Typically I spend my toy money on tools)

Self taught, but pretty picky standards :), i started with machining(lathe and mill) and wood is easy after working to .001”, although finishing (stains etc) is a whole science that I’m still learning

I used the Festool Drill and saw a lot, but also my cabinet saw for ripping.

ripperj

Explorer
Beautiful work. Your Alaskan remindes me of George Washington’s ax, all original except for the head and handle. I have a ‘64 8’ NCO Alaskan that I have been rebuilding/modifying on an as needed basis for almost twenty years.

If I knew in the beginning how big a project it was going to be, I would have just done 100% from scratch.. just because :)

ripperj

Explorer
Putting this up for sale cheap, I have over $10k and 3 winters of weekends tied up in this. The roof leaks and I just don’t have in it me to rip it apart. $2500 see for sale section

zimm

Expedition Leader
great job. you have more balls than me. after redoing my interior, it leaked a couple winters ago, and i had black mold in the lower walls. i had glued the snot out it to make it as sturdy as possible so disassemble was going to be about impossible. i got pissed and sawzalled the ********** up and burned it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
how bad is the leak????

i had a 10ft, and was thinking my next would be an 8ft, for ease of towing the trailer.

ripperj

Explorer
how bad is the leak????

i had a 10ft, and was thinking my next would be an 8ft, for ease of towing the trailer.

Not sure, can’t tell how’s it’s getting in, just signs of water intrusion on the lower sides. Just like a roof leak on a house, the in and out can be far apart :)

ripperj

Explorer
The pump came from Florida Hydraulic, I don’t remember the model. It worked great, but was heavy and needed lots of amps(big wires)
I always worried the solenoid or switch contact would stick and the roof would get ripped off before I could open the valve or turn the disconnect off- there was no pressure relief valve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles