Optima Batteries SEMA 2015 Build

Jb1rd

Explorer
You are a true craftsman as are all of the other suppliers you have involved!!! (my grandfather would approve) Thank you for taking the time to share and the knowledge and passion you bring to the group, it def does not go unnoticed!!!:luxhello::luxhello:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
So when will you have your 80/20 plans for sale along with a cut sheet of materials? :) I have a feeling you could make a bit of money on here just selling those plans alone!

The idea has crossed my mind a time or two. I have been thinking through a few different layouts in my free time. I like the thought of "modules" that can be configured a number of ways...

You are a true craftsman as are all of the other suppliers you have involved!!! (my grandfather would approve) Thank you for taking the time to share and the knowledge and passion you bring to the group, it def does not go unnoticed!!!:luxhello::luxhello:

BTW, you weren't kidding about how nice that leather upholstery turned out! Drawers look great too.

Dayummm that leather work looks like it matches toe-toe.
Such a clean and modern look inside. Better than anything out there!

Thank you! Much appreciated!

:beer:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
What is the material you're using for panels between the extruded aluminum frame pieces?

The floor/panel material is a product by King Plastics called Starboard AS (anti-skid). http://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard-as/

It comes in several colors and two choices of texture, dot and diamond. It really is anti-skid, even when wet. I like the product a lot, it looks fantastic, it machines beautifully, easy to work with and easy to clean. I believe it will hold up well in this application as long as it isn't abused.

There will also be some panels made out of Dibond material. It is a composite sheet with a brushed stainless finish on one face. Light weight and rigid, also easy to work with.

WUzombies

Adventurer
The floor/panel material is a product by King Plastics called Starboard AS (anti-skid). http://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard-as/

It comes in several colors and two choices of texture, dot and diamond. It really is anti-skid, even when wet. I like the product a lot, it looks fantastic, it machines beautifully, easy to work with and easy to clean. I believe it will hold up well in this application as long as it isn't abused.

There will also be some panels made out of Dibond material. It is a composite sheet with a brushed stainless finish on one face. Light weight and rigid, also easy to work with.
Thank you. My current rear shelf is 3/4" plywood with L-Track for tie downs with some industrial then rubber matting for the top surface, I hadn't thought to use extruded aluminum, so you've pointed me in an new direction to rebuild what I have. I like it, thanks!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Any concerns about a plastic material warping with temperature fluxuations? Or was there some extra space factored in for it to grow?

I know the starboard I used changes shape quite a bit with the seasons.

I researched the material quite a bit and talked with one of the engineers at King Plastics before pulling the trigger. I did leave some room for it to move as per the manufacturer's recommendations. They gave me some specs and common practices to follow. I don't believe it will be a problem.

Cec

Hi Michael, GREAT build! I sent you a note through your website. Please check it and get back to me when you can. Thanks!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Well... It has been a challenging 50-ish days of work but today we're wrapping up our time with the Optima Batteries SEMA van.

Special thanks to my wife for putting up with the long hours and stress. My dad for working his tail off this whole time...and he's 72! Brad K., Jeremy W., Greg S. for their hard work and assistance. I couldn't have pulled this off without all of you folks. Thank you!

I'll let the pictures do the talking now. I'll do a proper write up once I recover from the lack of sleep...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles