Optima Batteries SEMA 2015 Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Productive weekend with the help of bknudtsen! Brad went to town on the custom sub enclosure (and tons of odds and ends tasks) while I worked on the interior cabinets. I got a picture when he was getting started...then got busy. Maybe Brad has some pics of the finished box.

The final assembly of the cabinet has begun and the fridge and microwave are mounted along with the slides for the pull out shelf.

There are a lot of positives so far about using this extruded framing (these are Bosch Rexroth 30mm profiles by the way) but there are also some challenges. There are several types of connection hardware and some are bolt-on easy, some require machining. All of them however require you to think through the order of how things go together. You can sort of paint yourself into a corner so to speak if you're not thinking several members ahead at all times. Once it starts going together though it is very rigid and still very light weight. I have my milling machine set up for machining the ends of members to accept the fasteners and you can really fly through the assembly once you get going. And if you need to adjust, you can. Sometimes there aren't second chances with wood but with this stuff you can reconfigure to your heart's content.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Here's the only one I took. This is prior to filling all the holes for the countersunk screws and sanding. Afterwards, I hit the edges with an 1/8th inch round over router bit and coated the box with bedliner. Should sound really good with the 2 down firing JL Audio 10" subs.

F57B6FB1-4392-487E-A0A4-058B19A094D9_zpsmby0bxpy.jpg

simple

Adventurer
I like that those extrusions have a finished side. The final product doesn't look like lab equipment. How does that material compare in price to something like 80/20?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Brad to the rescue! We just need to get him in another van....!

Great seeing you again BK!
I agree(if I ever sold mine he'd had first right), but damn is his Chevy sweet. Soooo quiet even stock. It is the odd duck out at MG's though. ;)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Brad to the rescue! We just need to get him in another van....!

I was wondering why my wallet just exploded...

Great seeing you again BK!
I agree(if I ever sold mine he'd had first right), but damn is his Chevy sweet. Soooo quiet even stock. It is the odd duck out at MG's though. ;)

Yeah... 440HP & 780LB-FT of odd duck. :smiley_drive:

The Optima Batteries SEMA Van is going to be super quiet on the inside. Gonna have to buy some of that DynaPad. Man, that stuff is the ticket for lining the floors. MG and his dad Frank did a great job with the DynaMat application. I know lots of folks say that you only need to cover 25% of the surface to control resonance, but these vans have such expanses of sheet-metal that 25% is not adequate. The DynaMat and DynaLiner combo in the front doors is amazing! They close with a "thud" that one would expect with a high-end luxury vehicle.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was wondering why my wallet just exploded...

Yeah... 440HP & 780LB-FT of odd duck. :smiley_drive:

The Optima Batteries SEMA Van is going to be super quiet on the inside. Gonna have to buy some of that DynaPad. Man, that stuff is the ticket for lining the floors. MG and his dad Frank did a great job with the DynaMat application. I know lots of folks say that you only need to cover 25% of the surface to control resonance, but these vans have such expanses of sheet-metal that 25% is not adequate. The DynaMat and DynaLiner combo in the front doors is amazing! They close with a "thud" that one would expect with a high-end luxury vehicle.

I can't wait to hear it!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Another fabrication task knocked off the list... The stainless counter tops are welded up and all smoothed out. The worst part of doing things like this is that you have a ton of money and work invested into the metal and forming before you ever get to the welding and sanding and that's where you can just royally screw up the look of the thing. Thankfully I still had some focus left in me after a 10 hour day at my desk job ("vacation" is over, I'm pulling double duty on this and work until the end of the project). Anyway...enough whining...time for pictures.

This is one of the back corners... the forming wraps under three sides but the back is just a straight flange. Easier to form and there's no point in over-detailing something that isn't even visible or accessible once the cabinet is in.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Been a while without an update huh? Well...we've been too busy to do anything but crank out work on the van.

Here is a teaser shot before we wrap up with the van and take pics of the finished product.

Oh...and a video of the power folding mirrors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior