Optima Batteries SEMA 2015 Build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oh heck yeah those factory dome lights work very well there.
Looks so much cleaner without the tacky SMB-granny-headliner.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Work continues on the SEMA van...

I've got the interior cabinet framing roughed out and starting to get down to the final details on the seat frame prior to sending it to powder coat. The bed extension and slides work out nice. The seat folds out just like I planned and I added a gas cylinder to assist the lifting/lowering of the seat back.

Here are some shots of the interior renderings and then the real thing taking shape....

The renderings don't show some of the panels that fill in the cabinets but they'll be there. The drawers in the back extend 32" but they're actually 34" deep. Under the seat is a large subwoofer enclosure, otherwise I would have had more room for drawers. The rear platform has some L-track for tie down points.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Holy smokes!!! :Wow1: :drool:
From concept to reality just like that.

Is the yellow box in the rendering the sub?

How is the extruded aluminum inoskeleton framework att'd to the van?

I am speechless...

sixstringsteve

Explorer
WOW. Blown away. That gas strut idea is killer. I have a feeling you're going to be busy copying this design for new customers for a VERY long time. We've been struggling to figure out the interior layout of our van, and this is giving us some great ideas.

Why do you have a two-tier split level thing on the rear driver's side? Is it for an armrest for the rear seat?

Man, I'd pay a pretty penny for rear seat like that.

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I picked up parts from the laser cutter today and this happened...

Fits nicely inside the recess in the side door. I also radiused the edge of the panel so it fit in the door better.

forgive the ugly hardware in the sides... I'll have stainless button heads in there for final assembly.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That did not just happen! :wings:
As Brad said, looks even better than the awesome renderings! I can't wait to try it out(hang from it :p).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94