Best sleeping pad

JohnnyS

Explorer
I know this has been covered before but wanted to get an up to date consensus.

Weight isn't an issue as it will be carried in the vehicle.

What is the most comfortable sleeping pad available?

I'm looking for something 6' long to fit in the bed of my work truck.

Thanks!!

KevinsMap

Adventurer
I know this has been covered before but wanted to get an up to date consensus.

Weight isn't an issue as it will be carried in the vehicle.

What is the most comfortable sleeping pad available?

I'm looking for something 6' long to fit in the bed of my work truck.

Thanks!!

By far, the most comfortable I have ever owned (or sampled in stores), and Editors Choice winner by Overland Journal 2013:

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-10-lxw-ruby-red

http://www.exped.com/international/...-exped-megamat-10-lxw-–-editor's-choice

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 10.28.59 PM.jpg

It is, however, 78" long. Of course, it rolls up too.

AML

Adventurer
I second it if space isn't an issue( roll up size is substantial). I have slept on one for probably 45 days or so this year. It isn't cheap, so I recommend waiting for a good sale. It has separate one way inflate and deflate valves and comes with a mini hand "pump".

I have probably 4 other different sleeping mats of different brands and manufacturers and this is my go to if weight and pack up size are not an issue.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Just because size or weight isnt an issue, they guy probably doesnt want to haul around a huge mattress. You can go with a nice comfy Ther-a-Rest or even REI brand. These pads are like 3" thick, you will have no idea you are sleeping on a pile of rocks.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I conducted that pad review listed above, and have worked in the outdoor industry for ages. I'm still Overland Journal's in-house gear nerd and pads are a particular area of interest. I still contend that the Exped Mega Mat is about as comfy as comfy gets, but as others said, the size when rolled up is huge. Same for the Thermarest Basecamp and LuxuryMap pads, the latter of which rocks. Love that pad. I have both and don't think any pad can get more comfortable.

If size is an issue, I recommend the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated pads. The comfort afforded by such a small package is impressive. The more I use my Sea to Summit pads, the less impressed I am with the hulking size of the Mega Mat and Luxury Map pads.

The Sea to Summit Air Cushion technology - works. I've spent more than 30 nights just this year on STS pads and love them.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Being that I only have 75" of bed space I'm leaning towards the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. How much of a comfort difference is the Comfort Plus Insulated and the standard Comfort Plus?

Too bad the bed isn't longer or I'd be going Mega Mat.

Thanks!!

thefishhawk

Adventurer
If you want something heavy duty look at Paco pads. They also make a truck bed version or you can call them up and they'll make one to your specs right here in NM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles