Best sleeping pad

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I just received a Klymit Static V-luxe Insulated pad and from previous experience with inflatable pads I wanted something that didn't leave me breathless. I stumbled across the following video. While not the best quality I tried this method with a small trash bag and rubber band. Skip to the 3:30 mark and that is when the magic happens. LOL. It works great. Once you get to the end of the inflation close the valve and finish it off with less than one full breath.

Last edited:

outback97

Adventurer
I just received a Klymit Static V-luxe Insulated pad and from previous experience with inflatable pads I wanted something that didn't leave me breathless. I stumbled across the following video. While not the best quality I tried this method with a small trash bag and rubber band. It works great. Once you get to the end of the inflation close the valve and finish it off with less than one full breath.

Very clever, thanks for posting. I have a Neo Air and it's great, but filling it does leave you a bit lightheaded when camping at elevation. Plus, I don't like the idea of putting so much moisture into it, so this would avoid that problem.

In the video he shows a roll of tape, but it isn't really clear how he uses it. Did you sandwich a swatch of tape on either side of the bag to strengthen the area of the hole?

I haven't tried this yet, but here's another similar idea that incorporates a nozzle.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Very clever, thanks for posting. I have a Neo Air and it's great, but filling it does leave you a bit lightheaded when camping at elevation. Plus, I don't like the idea of putting so much moisture into it, so this would avoid that problem.

In the video he shows a roll of tape, but it isn't really clear how he uses it. Did you sandwich a swatch of tape on either side of the bag to strengthen the area of the hole?

I haven't tried this yet, but here's another similar idea that incorporates a nozzle.

I posted that same video in this post:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/147148-Best-sleeping-pad?p=2051733#post2051733
:elkgrin:
All I used was a plastic trash bag with one closed corner cut off and a rubberband from the inside.

outback97

Adventurer
I posted that same video in this post:http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/147148-Best-sleeping-pad?p=2051733#post2051733
:elkgrin:
All I used was a plastic trash bag with one closed corner cut off and a rubberband from the inside.

Thanks, didn't realize it was posted previously! I got my wife a Neo Air for Christmas so I'm now double motivated to try this out.

I love the Neo Air for three season use when backpacking. When weight and size are of no concern, we have these (regular for her and XL for me) and they are so comfortable:
https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-co-op-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Man that is pricey for those pads. You most likely won't need the inflator since those are self inflating pads. I have an old self inflating thermarest and don't see myself going back to it after using the Klymit ones I have. They pack much smaller if you're into backpacking and I toss and turn at night so need to be able to sleep on my side. My thermarest is narrow compared to the V-luxe and the Kelty Recluse I have.

outback97

Adventurer
Man that is pricey for those pads. You most likely won't need the inflator since those are self inflating pads. I have an old self inflating thermarest and don't see myself going back to it after using the Klymit ones I have. They pack much smaller if you're into backpacking and I toss and turn at night so need to be able to sleep on my side. My thermarest is narrow compared to the V-luxe and the Kelty Recluse I have.

I paid about $60 for my Camp Bed in XL, a little more for my wife's in L, from the garage sale and outlet respectively. Well worth it. Yes these are self inflating = no inflator or blowing required. They're just really heavy and bulky for backpacking use.

The Therma Rest Neo Air that I mentioned does require you to blow it up, and the air volume is quite a bit more than the Klymit style pads.

9e204941-6273-4373-a710-e6713b2c6752

I bought a Klymit Static V (not the nicer Luxe like yours) when it was on sale for $33 from Amazon. It was well made and I wanted to like it, but it was too small for me. I sold it to a buddy of mine for $20, and he really likes it. The Luxe looks like it'd be really comfy.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The past two days I took some time to do some how to and comparison videos about my Klymit sleeping pads. Here are a couple pics.
The green one is the Klymit Static V and the red is the V-Luxe insulated.

20170215_194638.jpg
20170215_195001.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles