"Safe" to drill areas on a FlipPac

Hey Folks,

A bit new to the forum here, although long time skulker of many of these threads ;-)

Anyway, are there "safe" areas to drill into the FlipPac? I would like to side mount an awning and really, simply, if I could just drill straight though to the inside that would work (sealing it appropriately of course). My concern is crushing or cracking the shell.

I did see one build where they made very nice stainless brackets, but that is a bit more than I'd like to have to do.

I'm wanting to drill an inch or two below the top shell/base seam area, front and rear. My goal is to mount my Thule Pro 326 Awning that used to be on my roof rack.

Also I'm looking into a rear 60" awning across the back...

Suggestions on where you can drill and not drill?

Thank you all,

Cactus Jack

Camelfilter

Explorer
I have a bunch of holes in mine...

Easiest spot for an awning is in the rear just above the window. The previous owners of mine had an awning up there, but sold it seperately from my FP.

I installed a CVT 55" awning (under $300) using the same holes, but different mount system. My mounts are quick release, using hinges. I suppose I could do similar mounts on the side of the FP, but like yourself I'm not sure if it'd be strong enough. The one side hole I've drilled (for a solar panel power inlet), it was just through thin single wall fiberglass. This was near the front of the passenger side sliding window though, so I expected that. Still scary to drill into

Edit: adding that the awning mounts I used were "Subterrans", see his build further down on this page "the woodsy bit". He just added some more mounts onto the side of his camper (not an FP), but just to give you an idea.

Also some other users recently permanently mounted awnings to the sides of there FP, I think using "nutserts", but not sure. That thread can't be too old. So should probably be within the first 10 pages or so.

Last edited:

Arclight

SAR guy
I installed my 6.5' ARB awning using long rivnuts designed for fiberglass.

The "no go" areas for drilling as as follows:

-The overhang in front (no access from the back and the hinges bolt up there)
-The outer corners (stress concentration area)
-The area on the driver-side where the two light fixtures attach to glassed-in plywood.
-The area down the passenger side where the Aluminum track for the hammock is riveted.

Also double-check that your crank will clear on both raise and lower if you decide to mount it on the driver's side.

The strongest part is the area backed by the 1.5x1" steel box beam, which is just down from the top when open. Through bolting, riveting or attaching with long rivnuts is recommended here.

Here is how I did it (read page 5-6):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128820-Flippac-build-out/page5

More info:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81366-Pointers-for-attaching-an-awning-to-a-flippac

Arclight

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz