2006 Mazda B2300 Build Thread

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Thought I'd make a build thread here, all that's been done to the truck and all that will be done, all advice is appreciation :)
It's a 2006 Mazda B2300(Same as an xl Ranger), it's got a 2.3L 4 cylinder(Great mpg), 2wd with 4:10 gears and an open diff, power nothing, only has a/c
Here it is bone stock when I got it

The truck came with a Raider cap, colour matched and all but I was dumb, thought it made the truck look like an old man truck and sold it and got a tonneau cover from a Ranger(my dads actually)
Next came the sound system. I wanted a good sounding but not budget busting system. Replaced the headunit with a Kenwood and got a kicker 10" sub, built in amp. Later on I got some JL C2 5x7's for the doors, I have a 2 channel pionner amp for them(Not installed as we speak)

Then I got 30" Bfgs

Then came new rims, originally I was going to paint my stock ones but then wanted to get new wider ones with less back spacing.
Pro comp series 51, gloss black, 15x8 3.75 BS

Replaced my dome light with one from an F-150, also snagged an ohc from an explorer, they're led but I only have 3/5 in

Then I thought the truck was too low, got 2" coil spacers and 2" shackles. Word of advice-Do not get coil spacers on a 2wd Ranger, your ride will turn to **** and they wear front end components fast

Testing the flex after the shackles

Bedlined my fenders/rockers and bumpers, plus I blacked out my emblems and badges and got custom Dual sport stickers made

Here's how she looks as we speak

The plans
-31" Tires, these I have some time to decide on but I wouldn't mind something quieter then my bfgs are,they're not bad though. I really need something good on ice and in snow. I've been looking at ******** cepeks a lot lately, the trail country look like a very well mannered tire that would be good on ice, or the more aggressive fun country. Input is welcome!
-4" spindles to replace the coil spacers
-2" blocks to add to my 2" shackles, not a fan of level or cali lean
-Bilstein Shocks all the way around
-Silver non rise cap, with explorer rails, maybe a roof rack but idk yet
-Make a camping setup inside the cap, a bed covering half the box over the wheel well
-Bedline the box and touch up the back bumper/fenders
-Halo Spyder headlights
-Oem fogs with hids
-4 Hella 500 black magic lights mounted across the bumper with hids
-Limited slip diff or a locker
-Powerdome hood
-Tint windows, 35% sides, 5% back, 5% on the cap windows
-Pionner AVH-P3300Bt double din radio, dvd, navigation etc, $100 from a co worker
-Amp my door speakers, already have the amp
-Sound dampen the cab
-Explorer full length center console
-Igge seat covers, black and grey colour, leather material
-Xlt door panels with map pockets
-Scangauge
-Cb radio
-Led lights in gauges, still green
-Command start for the nasty winter mornings

It's just a 2wd so I know it'll never be a rock crawler but I still like to have some fun off road so that's what I'm building it to be, something that'd be comfortable to take on long road trips yet fun exploring a trail :)

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice to see something a little different. I have a B2300 as well although mine is a previous generation (96) so it has the TTB front suspension and uglier (IMO) flat-nosed front end. I do like the styling of the later Mazda Ranger.
I bought mine without the topper but was lucky enough to find one on CL for $200 and it's even almost color matched (if you look up close on a sunny day you can see that the match is not exact but it's darn close!)
No significant mods for me, though. My B2300 is my DD/Beater. It has a big dent in the door and the headliner is ripped to shreds. Dents on the side of the bed, too - I swear it looks like someone attacked it with a ball peen hammer! Still, it gives me an honest 24-25 MPG on a regular basis and it's fun to drive. Mine is a 5 speed manual, I wouldn't want it any other way.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Nice to see something a little different. I have a B2300 as well although mine is a previous generation (96) so it has the TTB front suspension and uglier (IMO) flat-nosed front end. I do like the styling of the later Mazda Ranger.
I bought mine without the topper but was lucky enough to find one on CL for $200 and it's even almost color matched (if you look up close on a sunny day you can see that the match is not exact but it's darn close!)
No significant mods for me, though. My B2300 is my DD/Beater. It has a big dent in the door and the headliner is ripped to shreds. Dents on the side of the bed, too - I swear it looks like someone attacked it with a ball peen hammer! Still, it gives me an honest 24-25 MPG on a regular basis and it's fun to drive. Mine is a 5 speed manual, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Sadly mine is an automatic but it's no big deal to me, if i do mainly highway i can constantly get 28 mpg, if i do more city it's 24

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Mine is badly in need of new tires before winter gets here. Limiting factor is the 14" rims. I'm thinking that rather than spend money on tires for the 14's I'll try to find some cheap 15" takeoffs since 15" tires are easier to find.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Built a trailer for me and friend to haul our quads on, it's a 6.6' x 8'. It's pretty light weight which was key for my little 4 Cylinder(tow rating of 2250)

Best pictures of the finished product before my dad took it to his house, guess Rangers just run in the family

Only other plan is to mount an action packer to the tongue to keep all our straps etc

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Did a little off roading today and had a good time, really really want a limited slip or locker already, the 1wd sucks, especially in sand!

My mind is defiantly set on 4" of lift and 9/10 31's, but I'm still looking at options, basically just need the best overall in sand, snow and ice, can last a decent while and not loud as hell, what do you guys recommend? Also keep price in mind

FLoffroad1

Observer
Saw your photo on the midsize thread - looks like fun stuff. I'd say definitely focus on getting an LSD or locker (selectable locker would be great) before a 4in lift. In your photos, your clearance looks more than enough; traction is where you want to make a change.

I've heard the Cooper ST Maxx is a good all around tire for your application; I had Grabber AT2s on my 2wd Sport Trac. They worked alright in snow/ice (being in Manitoba, I would imagine you probably have 2wd ice/snow driving down pretty well as a skillset).

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Saw your photo on the midsize thread - looks like fun stuff. I'd say definitely focus on getting an LSD or locker (selectable locker would be great) before a 4in lift. In your photos, your clearance looks more than enough; traction is where you want to make a change.

I've heard the Cooper ST Maxx is a good all around tire for your application; I had Grabber AT2s on my 2wd Sport Trac. They worked alright in snow/ice (being in Manitoba, I would imagine you probably have 2wd ice/snow driving down pretty well as a skillset).

I really want a lsd but trying to daily this thing with coil spacers is so brutal, every bump feels like the whole truck is going to fall apart. As for what i'll do with the axle, I'm not sure yet, if i can find a limited slip with 4:10 gears I'll pounce on it, just not sure i want a lock right locker for a daily

And for tires I'm not sure yet but I think I'm going to get the Cooper discover at3 and then in winter get a set of actual snow/ice tires with different rims

32vsnake

Adventurer

I'd second the recomendation of st/ maxx on a ranger, mazda platform. I ran them on my 08 ranger in 235/85/16 and loved them.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Can't say.. Never used them on ice. Did run them on snow covered, slick "mud based" roads and they did fine in 2wd.

Well I'll look into them, trying to stay open to all suggestions but lately have been leaning towards something a little less aggressive and quieter like the cooper at/3 or Firestone destination at and then get a set of designated winter/ice tires and rims. But I got time for that :)

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Quick update guys, nothing major just a few minor mods with some big ones soon ;)
Silver Hvac Panel with led bulbs

Explorer Dual Visors

A Pillar gauges, Oil pressure and voltage, going to paint the ring around the gauge silver to match my clustor more. Some might say it looks kinda odd or ricey but I enjoy the look

Full Length Explorer console and cut my 60/40 bench into 40/40 buckets, need to stitch the fabric tight under the seat and cover them with "Iggee" seat covers. The console isn't complete yet either, missing a few pieces but overall I really like it, the grey is a lighter shade but that can be painted, plus without my armrest from the bench seat pushing up agaisn't the sub I gained back a ton of leg room :)

And my honey driving it the other day

I also picked up a double din pionner radio, touchscreen and all, just not installed.
The plan for my interior at this point is to use sound proofing material over the entire cab, floor, doors, back wall, ceiling etc and to paint everything Laundau Black with SEM paint next summer
And last I'm getting a colour matched cap on Nov.1st, non rise, has windows, locks and brake light even work, the plan for that is. explorer roof rails, and lights inside it and maybe outside

Last edited:

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Couple of updates

Got to go off roading on Friday, really fun but also frustrating, surprising I never got stuck but boy do I appreciate how narrow my truck is, had to squeeze between some trees while not sliding in and our of huge ruts, even had to fold in my mirrors then tow out some trees after I made it through so the big trucks could sorta fit

Only picture I got of the tight section, yes the 4wd Dakota was stuck and yes I made it through fairly easy :D We never could fit the Chevy through(2wd open diff also)

Also picked up a cap this weekend, already love the look it gave the truck besides the squat :( Guess I'm doing an aal lift instead of blocks

Haven't got around to mounting the rails yet but threw them up for a picture

These also showed up, waiting on spindles which should be here today or tomorrow, then figure out if my order at summit for rear shocks went through

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Back shocks and aal are now on the way, going to be looking like I skipped leg day with 4" lift on 30's but that'll only be till around spring, then 31" Duratracs I think, keeping an eye out for a used limited slip axle although my dad keeps telling me to just get a lock rite locker so we'll see..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles