1989 Trooper Build

Are you able to find all the parts for the round headlight conversion new?

You will need to locate a set of used headlight buckets but I have a extra new grille I willing to sell and you can still get the emblem and lights, It just take time to get them here in the states.

Over the past month I have made some progress on the Trooper to restore it to like new condition. The original AC compressor was oozing R12 so I replaced it with a new unit. I had developed a transmission leak that I repaired because the boot on top of the transmission was torn. I replaced the boot with a new boot which fixed the leak. I replaced all the carpet with new carpet. I replaced the old faded tail lights with new tail lights. I still have plenty of modifications in the works like a round headlight conversion, adding LED's to the instrument cluster, undercoating the vehicle, adding a 3rd row, and adding a wrap to give it that classic Trooper look.

The new AC compressor installed because the old one was leaking Freon. Best of all she still runs on R12 and it blows colder than the 134 conversions.

22565314172_953a1de216_b.jpg

When I was removing my carpet I noticed I had a torn transmission boot. Because the shifter boot was already removed now would be a good time to replace that little triangle boot on the top of the trans. I ordered a replacement from Jerry and followed his installation instructions. After removing the old torn boot I boiled the new boot for 10 minutes. I lubed the shifter with some silicone spray and slid the new boot over the shifter and it popped into place without much manipulation. Big thanks to Jerry for the boot and the install info. Boiling it made all the difference.

22865540461_ec139588e4_b.jpg
22462229299_31bb5bb3f0_b.jpg

Because my Trooper still had the original carpet I felt it was time for an upgrade. The original carpet appeared to be grey. I ordered the new carpet from Auto Interiors and Upholstery. When the FedEx man delivered the carpet I was surprised to see it came in an ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) box, the industry leader in aftermarket carpet. ACC wanted around $500 for this carpet set shipped to my door. I choose to go with Auto Interiors because they were about $280 shipped to my door but now I know they are one and the same which is fine by me. I am pleased with what I see so far. I will let is set out for a few days and then I will install it.

21889380328_72d07af8b0_b.jpg

22064859262_a765685d53_b.jpg

This was a large chore. I used butyl tape to hold the carpet in place. The most difficult part of the install was trimming around the shifter boots and around the seat bases. In all it took around 16 hours to install the carpet. I am pleased with how it came out and I hope it holds up for another 25 years. I also pickup some high quality floor mats to protect the carpet.

22923258436_99d18cac78_b.jpg

22326810304_4210173271_b.jpg

22960722411_d8ea8d83cb_b.jpg

22557096219_ed3836e9f0_b.jpg

These tail lights look much better than the original tail lights that were cracking, faded and turning yellow.

Before
22048678861_edd4e5541b_b.jpg

After
22040039405_f500b46b82_b.jpg

love that interior dash pic....like looking back in time.

was that 4x4 of the year dash plaque already installed?

The "4x4 of the year" plaque on the dash was a factory option for the 1986 Trooper. Since I am changing my Trooper to look like a 1986 Trooper with the round headlights, white wheels and retro paint job the plaque should be right at home. I found it in a pick n pull and added it to my Trooper. It just clips into the dash and takes 20 seconds to install. I love it because it adds to the cool factor.

The fuel pump recently went out so I decided to add a third row while I had the tank out of the way. It was custom made to match the original interior. It looks pretty good if you ask me. The Trooper will now seat 8 instead of 5. And while this does not seem like a big deal, it does come in handy when you have 5 kids like I do. I also took the time to undercoat the vehicle while the gas tank was out so it was a win all the way around.

25968965581_b173023225_b.jpg

justcuz

Explorer
Did you cut your floor board, or was it like that when you bought it?
I'm wondering if maybe it was originally an automatic. You can tell by the transmission code under the hood.
The early Troopers had a couple different alloy wheels that look nice on them.
I have always liked the two tone combinations on Troopers, they were tastefully done.
Looking around here in California now the first generations are getting more money than the later ones! Crazy!
Keep posting, looks like your having fun!

Did you cut your floor board, or was it like that when you bought it?
I'm wondering if maybe it was originally an automatic. You can tell by the transmission code under the hood.
The early Troopers had a couple different alloy wheels that look nice on them.
I have always liked the two tone combinations on Troopers, they were tastefully done.
Looking around here in California now the first generations are getting more money than the later ones! Crazy!
Keep posting, looks like your having fun!

It's probably hard to see in these pics but the floor around the shifter is in original condition. The auto tranny sat about 4 inches farther back than the manual tranny. The punchout plate for the auto transmission is still in place, so it has always been a manual tranny. This trooper is as virgin as they come. I have not seen a wire that was spliced anywhere but that's gonna change because I plan to add a CB and change to a round eye grille soon. I will try to keep the wiring looking stock. I sent the OEM cassette player out for an overhaul and it should be back within a week or two. I also plan to do that two tone paint but that maybe a few months down the road. It has been a fun little build.

Little by little the Trooper is getting restored. Not that it needed a whole lot to start with. Most of the items are not note worthy like finding the correct OEM screw for this or that, but today I installed OEM cassette player after having it restored by Southern Electronics in Virginia. The cassette player worked but the bulb in the display was burned out, so you could not read the digital display. Also the volume control was flaky. They soldered in a new bulb, reconditioned the tape deck and reconditioned the volume control. They charged me $140 for the complete repair and that included shipping both ways. I am very pleased with how it turned out. Not only does it look better but it sounds really nice. It's the little things that matter most to me when restoring these old vehicles.
26685966655_fbd685b1c7_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles