Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1989 Trooper Build

Quote Originally Posted by Offroadmuch View Post
    Love your whole set up. I actually started looking for a Trooper for camping etc. I went with a Mitsubishi Montero for parts availability. Can you tell me the make and model of that folding camp kitchen table? That is a good piece of gear.
    I have owned several Montero's over the years and I currently own 2 Mitsubishi turbo diesel pickups. I owned a 1991 and 2000 Montero and loved them both but part availability seems to be better for these first gen troopers in some ways than it was for the first gen Montero. Both of my Montero's were dead reliable as well as my current Isuzu. I actually looking for a Montero but this Trooper came up for sale and I could not say no. I have been very pleased with it so far.

To answer your other question the Camp Kitchen is made by Coleman. I bought it for our adventure because it is a high quality unit and it fits the 80's era. They were the deluxe camp kitchen. It is all aluminum and even has a chess board on top. It take about I minute to setup and take down but it is very sturdy. I bought mine off eBay. I see them on eBay every now and then and usually they are in great shape.
    1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3L H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, $d56 Head, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar,

1983 Mitsubishi Pickup 4x4, Brand New 2.5L Turbo Diesel, Fully restored to stock specs.

1989 Isuzu Trooper SE, 2.6 ITEC, 60K orignal miles, Fully restored.

2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

While not a common upgrade for an off-road vehicle, tinting the windows on my first gen Trooper has been a high priority since I bought the vehicle. This vehicle is like a giant solarium in the summer sun. On most days the AC is adequate, but when the temps get over 95F the AC struggles to keep those in the 3rd row cool. I went with full on limo tint for most of the vehicle. Not only is it cooler on the inside, the vehicle looks much nicer on the outside.

Before

After

Last edited by 4D55 Performance; 07-18-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3L H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, $d56 Head, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar,

1983 Mitsubishi Pickup 4x4, Brand New 2.5L Turbo Diesel, Fully restored to stock specs.

1989 Isuzu Trooper SE, 2.6 ITEC, 60K orignal miles, Fully restored.

2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Looks awesome! I love the headlight conversion.... looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    The round eye LED headlight conversion is complete. I added the LED KC Hilites, a new black front bumper and black bumper ends, to go along with the new switch. The new LED light are crazy bright. I really like how it turned out. Now I need to change the back bumper to mach the front.

Where did you get the round fog light switch. That looks factory!

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP View Post
    Where did you get the round fog light switch. That looks factory!
    I thought the same thing. I bought one several months ago and it took me forever to find it. I haven't installed it yet, though.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...BX4-bW&vxp=mtr

Dude! You’re the man! Thanks

This brings back memories. I bought a new 89 Trooper in 1988 (four cylinder five-speed). It was the middle trim package in a charcoal gray/bronze color. Inexpensive, solid; I loved that thing - great for trips. Take the back seat out and you could put a ton of camping gear back there (including one of those Coleman camp kitchens mentioned previously) AND it would flat-tow my 46 Willys CJ2A. And I liked the 70/30 back door. My ex-wife got it in the divorce in 96.

I considered getting myself a new Trooper after the divorce, but by then Isuzu had made the Troopers too fancy and expensive. I considered a new Isuzu Rodeo (1996), but it just didn't have the "expedition flare" the Trooper had. Or the storage capacity. And I was heading out to grad school. So I sold my 56 Willys truck (that hurt the most), and traded in my 2WD 1990 Isuzu pick-up, and bought a new 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 to tow my flat fender to grad school.

But if I ever came across another Trooper II cheap I'd consider buying it just for the memories and as an expedition vehicle project.

My first 4x4 was a 1986 Trooper, 4 cyl, 5 speed. I loaded it up with three people, two huskies, all our camping gear and it took it like a champ. Felt very solid in winter snowstorms too. trooper.jpgtrooper1.jpg
    2007 LR3 HSE

Great thread, thanks for sharing. My earliest camping memories all include an old Isuzu Trooper my dad had. Learned to drive it in 4 wheel low on empty forest roads. Takes me back just seeing the pics.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456