4x4 Toyota Truck // Chinook Pop-Top Conversion Build

austintaco

Explorer
I am pretty sure that I bought my Timbrens and steering rack bushing kit from them just a few years ago. Are they out of business now? Oh well.

refried

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure they still have a showroom and shop on Iowa st. in Bellingham, at least they did last time I drove by there. I didn't know they had such a bad reputation, I bought my springs from them about 17 years ago when I lived in NY, Six months later I was living 25 miles away from them. I always bought my parts from Downey but wanted a heavier spring than I had before. They always felt a little too firm at slow speeds but feel great over 30.

ocdropzone

I've had springs from Northwest Offroad Specialties in my truck for the last 17? years and have been very happy with them, They're firmer OME springs but still ride decent with an empty bed and have no problem with a heavy load . They offer several different lifts and spring rates.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/suspension_intro.php

you are actually one of the first people i have heard that had good luck with NWOR springs. I pulled a set off my truck after too weeks. No more seeing my chiropractor.

OP-
a set of 33x9.50's and 4.88's would be great.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure they still have a showroom and shop on Iowa st. in Bellingham, at least they did last time I drove by there. I didn't know they had such a bad reputation, I bought my springs from them about 17 years ago when I lived in NY, Six months later I was living 25 miles away from them. I always bought my parts from Downey but wanted a heavier spring than I had before. They always felt a little too firm at slow speeds but feel great over 30.

I'm not sure they still have a storefront. I'm on Iowa St almost daily, I'll have to look closer next time. I ordered an alternator from them two years ago and the owner of the shop wanted to meet at the post office parking lot to complete the transaction.

refried

Adventurer
I'm not sure they still have a storefront. I'm on Iowa St almost daily, I'll have to look closer next time. I ordered an alternator from them two years ago and the owner of the shop wanted to meet at the post office parking lot to complete the transaction.

Your right, There gone,It's now a European car repair place, I haven't been over there in a while (Just to get my ski pass at the mount Baker office).
I did think the springs were too stiff when I first installed them but they softened up, I also have a Corbeau suspension seat that helps a lot. If I was going to use my truck as a daily driver and not constantly overloading it with logs and tools I would have gone with a softer spring like the ones Downey was selling at the time, But I rarely take my truck off the island anymore and it's been used as a work truck lately, The stiff springs and KYB's have worked out well for me.

Gabriel Amadeus

Just working out all the misc stuff: rewiring taillights, new mirrors, sealing up a million leaks, 31" Michellins, cut the passthrough and added accordion gasket, and brand new rear leaf setup from Oregon Spring. Just waiting on some parts to extend the fuel neck filler and we're back on the road! Will post some more details once I get this boring stuff sorted.

Truck progress by Gabriel Amadeus, on Flickr

haney4147

How does it do with so much overhang on the rear? besides dragging the back have you noticed any handling issues on the road with so much weight that far back?

Gabriel Amadeus

It's got quite a bit of clearance so doesn't drag unless you're on a real steep transition. So far there really is hardly any weight back there. It looks big and heavy but I'd bet ~65% of the weight is still on the front axle. Once I got some leaf upgrades it rides fantastic. Certainly in hindsight I'd like less overhang, but not too big of an issue except for it looking weird.

ajrupp360

Surely a little late to this thread...

But, I am thinking about undertaking a similar project. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the conversion cost you (not including the Chinook and your pick-up)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles