My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Love it! We had a good few days of solid wind but now it's HOT and still... box is looking good. We're getting started on 3 campers in the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking of stretching my mega cab after talking to you and doing some research!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

MNtal

Observer
I don't necessarily think you need as aggressive of a tire as the MPPT 81's they honestly seem like a lousy snow tire to me. Have you looked at the Goodyear G275 MSA Tires? they seem to get better reviews from people that used to run the MPT80's or 81's.

My only experience with the Continentals is on a Unimog 404 and that truck is well, a Unimog 404.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
MNtal, I do like the looks of the Goodyears. But, I can't seem to find then in the 37" dia range. I have found 41". I am/was planning on the smaller dia Conti MPTs. Really what I want is the traction with approx 4700 lb load capacity.

I am all ears if you have a different idea/approach.
Thx

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
John- give me a call whenever, I'm pretty much working around the clock these days. Love to catch up and help out in any way I can. Wind is back, you should just come back for a "meeting".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CTDJeeperman

x2 on the 37x13.50R17 Toyo MTs, they are rated just over 4,300, they'll be my next set. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any wheels at 17x8.5 with that much capacity. I had two sets of the MT in the 35x12.50R17 variety and they were the best tire I ever had and hold up to the Cummins weight pretty well. The RTs are pretty nice too, but just a bit too low in the load capacity for what you need.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
x2 on the 37x13.50R17 Toyo MTs, they are rated just over 4,300, they'll be my next set. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any wheels at 17x8.5 with that much capacity. I had two sets of the MT in the 35x12.50R17 variety and they were the best tire I ever had and hold up to the Cummins weight pretty well. The RTs are pretty nice too, but just a bit too low in the load capacity for what you need.

For wheels I was thinking of the Buckstop 20". These are rated at 5k. The conti 275/80R20 have approx 4,600 lb rating. Lots of saftey in this combo and 37" diameter.

Healeyjet

Explorer
SBC, I was hoping the G275's came in a 37"as well but we had to go with the 41"for the weight capacity.
Looking good so far.!!
Ward

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp

@Jeeperman,

I got all keen on you idea with the Toyo's. I have been looking all over online and can't find a 17" wheel with anything like 4,300 lb load rating. Do you have ideas where I should be looking. Everything seems to be in the 3000-3500 range.

Help ...

Darwin

Explorer
Trail ready, and walker evans seem to make some pretty strong wheels, don't know the actual rating but they hold up to a lot of abuse from people who rally out in the desert. The report on the mpt's is they don't seem to last all that long.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Here is where I landed in tires & wheels. They are ordered and paid for, so it is full steam ahead now.

Stazworks 20"X11"
Nitto Trail Grappler 37"x13.5"R20 E

Tires are rated at 3,860lbs each, rims are probably more than that. Gives me 15,440 lbs total and I anticipate the total weight of my rig around 11,500 all up. 75%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles