My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

When you ordered your wheels did you tell him what tires or how thick the beads are? Some tires have thicker beads than others. It is a fine balance between the inner headlock and bead thickness.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
More pictures. The box is starting to get closed in ...

Pictures of the back on. The corner detail (glued in and the carboned over). Top radius corner. Front before window openings cut out.

Attachments

• 2016-09-15 12.31.56.jpg
    2016-09-15 12.31.56.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 217
  • 2016-09-14 10.24.09.jpg
    2016-09-14 10.24.09.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 2016-08-23 23.48.31.jpg
    2016-08-23 23.48.31.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 220
  • 2016-08-23 23.48.34.jpg
    2016-08-23 23.48.34.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 2016-08-23 23.48.26.jpg
    2016-08-23 23.48.26.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 2016-08-23 18.29.28.jpg
    2016-08-23 18.29.28.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 222

wild1

Adventurer
Amazing work, I think you will really find this size rig is in the sweet spot for livability vs the ability to go anywhere within reason. I would caution you to consider that you will likely end up with significantly more weight on the rear axle then the front. Running similar all up weights I usually end up with over 7000 pounds on the rear axle. This puts you at the upper end of tire capacity on the back axle and requires constant vigilance for air pressure and tire heating. The good news is it seems to work, I have over a 150,000 miles on my last two F350s running 285/75/r16s around this loaded weight with no problems.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Even more pictures

2016-09-19 14.19.33.jpg
2016-09-19 14.19.20.jpg

The corners getting wrapped, bagged and strong.

2016-09-20 17.29.11.jpg

The round circle is 1/4" ply under a layer of carbon to protect the foam core fromt the spare tire.

Sorry about the pics being on their side. I can't seem to figure out how to post them upright :(

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
I hope it is light. I am kind of counting on it :)

Amazing work, I think you will really find this size rig is in the sweet spot for livability vs the ability to go anywhere within reason. I would caution you to consider that you will likely end up with significantly more weight on the rear axle then the front. Running similar all up weights I usually end up with over 7000 pounds on the rear axle. This puts you at the upper end of tire capacity on the back axle and requires constant vigilance for air pressure and tire heating. The good news is it seems to work, I have over a 150,000 miles on my last two F350s running 285/75/r16s around this loaded weight with no problems.

@Wild1 - Excellent input ... This has been one of my biggest concerns and things to figure out. If its okay, I will share my math & history with you and see if it makes sense. I have always been thinking that good things happen when you make it light. Which is why the contruction is carbon/foam core panels.
_
From the beginning, I wanted SRW becasue they will be better in snow. The question then became, what tires & rims can carry the load. My first idea was big Continental or Michelin MPT tires. However most of them are 41" and without a lot of custom fender work in the front, they won't fit. There is a 37" Conti that will fit and is rated at 4,400lbs, but the feedback from the group is these tires don't wear that well. The next problem is a rim that is strong enough to support 3,000+ lbs.
_
After all the input and searching, I landed on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers rated at 3860lbs on 20"x11" Stazworks rims. Very strong rims and I have a plan "B". As you point out if I am 7,000 lbs or above, I am indeed close to the limits. If I have it all wrong or am strgglng with tire issues in the future my back-up plan is the Conti MPTs.
_
Below are my calcs and assumptions...
_
The truck stock is approx 7,300lbs with 4,300 in the front and 3,000 in the rear.
I expect my RV box is going to be approx 3,250-3,500 fully loaded & wet. The water is approx 700 lbs.
With the rear wheels roughly in the middle of the main part of the box, I figure it adds approx 2,625 lbs to the rear and 875 lbs up front in additional weight. This doesn't include whatever weight I save in removing the original bed and add with the frame lengthening.
_
If I have everything figured correctly, I should be under your 7,000, but even if I approach numbers bigger than I planned for, I should still have a safety margin with the Nitto's rated at 3,860. And, if I have it all wrong or the build weight gets out of control, I have the back-up plan with the Conti MPTs.
_
Fingers crossed that my light build continues to come together. We have been weighing the panels along the way and our best guess is the empty box will be 700lbs.
_
BTW: If someone can tell me how to do a carridge return in this editor, that would be great.

wild1

Adventurer
I thought that might be why you went 20 inch rather then 17.It is very difficult to find a wheel in 17 inch rated anywhere near the capacity of tires like the Toyo's. The Conti MPT's give you a an easy way to significantly increase your carrying capacity if need be. I have found that it"s the weight of all the stuff I bring along not the camper that pushes the limits,the good news is you can control this to some extent. I have found that higher speeds are what really contributes excess tire heat and rapid wear. I don't exceed 65 miles per hour and I get about 30,000 miles out of a set of BFG AT's. It looks like you have your bases covered. I look forward to following your build.

'

sg1

Adventurer
700lbs for an empty box that size is a great weight. But how do you get to 3,500lbs full? If you continue using the lightweight technology and philosophy you used for your box the complete package should be a lot lighter.
Stefan

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
I hope you are right. I am amazed how much all "the stuff" weighs. Windows, door, solar, fridge etc. The water is going to be 700lbs.

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Looking good John. You are on the right path for keeping it light, the key is to never give in to something that is a little heavier because it's easier (or cheaper more likely). With all the time, effort, and $$ you've put into the shell stay focused on the details. Keep up the good work!
-Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
That looks incredible! I think you will like the Awl grip, good stuff.

I really wish I had a bagging system now...

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
More pics pre-primer

A little mud to make it look nice (or nicer). As my one buddy said to me once. "we aren't building a piano here".
_

2016-09-26 16.16.03.jpg
_
2016-09-26 16.17.25.jpg
__
2016-09-26 16.18.29.jpg

Its dark in here ... The roof is on the left. Those are 14"X14" vents and also the escape hatch (Lewmar) up froward.

PS: How do I orient the pictures upright?

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Looking good John. You are on the right path for keeping it light, the key is to never give in to something that is a little heavier because it's easier (or cheaper more likely). With all the time, effort, and $$ you've put into the shell stay focused on the details. Keep up the good work!
-Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
_
I might need to pick your brain on the interior panels. I was all keen to use Coosa panels, but I am not sure I can get them now :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles