My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Looks great. What is the weight of the cabin?
Cabin was 700 lbs empty. The interior work is minimalist and lightweight. For example the back wall of cubbies gets a canvas cover with zippered openings. The cabinetry and furniture was build in place and glued directly to the walls with Proset epoxy saving the weight of additional structure.
_
I didn't weigh it before we loaded it (had a bit on the go). My best guess is 2200 lbs with 75 gals of water when it is done._

The truck is probably 8500 lbs ish. The driver that delivered it, took it over the scales and figured 9000 less the original short-bed and the 5 OEM tires/rims).

The GVMW for the SRW truck is around 11K. However with the changes I made on rims, tires, suspension & gears, I feel pretty confident that I am now around 14K of the dually.

Last edited:

Xfactor

Observer
Fantastic! I did everything with them on the telephone. It all lined up perfectly. They were great about being flexible and getting me measurements and details as I moved along on my end with the camper. It all looks really pro and bomber too!

If I build another one, DJ will do the work for sure.

Great to hear, look forward to seeing it complete. cheers!

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
More pictures - Stairs & Battery box

The stairs were heavy and royal pain to get mounted. But its done. Did it by myself, but it would have been easier with two other guys. Check out the fancy battery box with one of my Lithium Iron batteries. This is what happens when you have some left over carbon/foam panel. Kinda Gucci :)

IMG_4639.jpgIMG_4640.jpgIMG_4637.jpgIMG_4638.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
So awesome! Can't wait to see it all together. I'm totally stealing your open shelves/cabinets

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Battery boxes etc

Last weekend in the snow, I mounted the underbody boxes. The driver side is general storage and the batteries are passenger side to help balance out the galley /fridge etc.

What is the old saying? "We make it nice because we do it twice" ... Well, I am going to have to pull them off this weekend and seal the bolt fastening points more thoroughly. Turns out with the diamond plate, they are not sealing tight up against the floor of the camper and water is getting into the boxes. Bummer :(

IMG_4656.jpgIMG_4657.jpgIMG_4655.jpgIMG_4658.jpgIMG_4660.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
So much snow still! Nice. Sorry about the boxes, can you unbolts and drop it enough to spooge sealant in?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Weekend of many little jobs. Getting closer to being done.

Well, I figured a bunch of things out and also wrapped up many of the smaller items on my list. The electrical is all back in and the inverter works like a dream. I finished installing the rooftop AC and the was able to run it off the batteries for testing. Zero issues, but I am sure it would kill the batteries pretty quick.
_
The best install of the day was the bottle opener on the rear bumper. I fiddled with the cooktop and was able to get that glued into the corian countertop flush and looking nice. I used 3M 5200. Just need to let it dry for a week :(IMG_4671.jpgIMG_4672.jpgIMG_4675.jpgIMG_4677.jpgIMG_4586.jpgIMG_4680.jpg

Last edited:

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Fuel & DEF fill

I figured it out. I was able to take the OEM filler neck from the pick-up bed body. After reworking it, I just need to order some 1.75" filler neck hose and I am off to the races. By the next round of posts I should be able to drive it and fill it up with the "go juice".

Last edited:
Love that cooktop! Going to add that to my list of items I like. I like having multiple options. If you are away from home long enough something is going to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94