My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

moto657

Wondering what the specs and the source are for your windows and the sidedoor? They look great. I skimmed the whole thread, hope I didn't miss it.

I'm in the early planning phase for a DIY RV using a Unicell Aerocell CW body and have been looking for a source for high quality windows and doors.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
I used Sietz windows from Dometic. They are widely available in Europe and Australia. Unfortunately not as easy to get in the USA. I ended up reached out to Dometic here in the US directly and was able to buy the 6 windows direct. They are acrylic and double pane. The screens and shades are included. Same windows in the Earthroamer & Turtle Expedition Truck

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Wondering what the specs and the source are for your windows and the sidedoor? They look great. I skimmed the whole thread, hope I didn't miss it.

I'm in the early planning phase for a DIY RV using a Unicell Aerocell CW body and have been looking for a source for high quality windows and doors.

Door came from Australia from an RV parts mfg. CAMEC. I found them online. The door & quality is a beautiful piece of work and engineering. It doesn't weight that much, so they just sent it via fedex. The Aus$ is weak these days, so the price with shipping was still reasonable.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Have you made any changes to the truck and did you ever get a curb weight?

All 13 pages read; cool build.

I did finally get it weighed at CAT Scales on the way to Gunnison, CO.

Fully wet - Fuel 55gal, Water 75gal and all our gear including two mtn bikes.

13,229 lbs.

The ended up being a little more than I was figuring, but well within my tolerances and limits on tires, wheels, towing etc.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp

Seitz Windows. They are made in Germany and the company is owned by Dometic now. I had to buy them direct from Dometic.

CAMEC door from Australia. I ordered it and was in now rush, so they just shipped it to Colorado cheap and slow via Fedex. Shipping costs were approx $150 USD.

Last edited:

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Most excellent work sir! Very well done!

Fitting 37's and no trimming with just some leveling???

Yes, sort of ...

Nothing to do on the rears because the original bed was replaced with the camper box.
On the fronts the BDS leveling kit moves the axel forward and combined with the Buckstop bumper and flares, it all fits. There was a little trimming behind the fronts but nothing major.

I think AEV now make a new flare that is designed to allow and even bigger tire. Maybe even 41". The fords have had this for a while. Now the dodge has it too.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Watch the bolts on the Stazworks wheels carefully. This is no fun at highway speed. (About ten bolts snapped.)

View attachment 557617
Holy smokes man! Did the tire blow and then the nuts sheered or the other way around?

I did have a couple of lugs loosen off after a long highway trip. But, I figured that it was my fault for not getting them torqued tight enough.

BTW: My Stazworks rims have the gold grade 8 nuts/bolts holding the two halves together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne