PICTURE THREAD: Post up your Mobile HAM setups

aearles

Observer
Nice Power Wagon, those are some impressive machines! Originally the shop quoted 1 hour at $70, which was still a steal, but they got in done in 30 minutes. I don't think they dropped the headliner much, if at all. I originally picked up a fender mount since I figured most shops would charge an arm and a leg to do the install. In the end the fender mount did not fit as advertised and I called around to some shops, wish I would have just done that first.

Thanks man, I love it but I would not have one if I didn't tow my house around. Yeah, the headliner didn't really need to come down too far. I tried for a long time to get it down so that I could see clearly that I wouldn't interfere with the sunroof. Eventually I gave up and used a tape measure as best I could through the high brake light and pulled the trigger (which I had to take the shell off to do!). I suppose if I had just lowered it a little and fished the cable through without trying so hard it wouldn't have been a big deal. Still, like you said, $70 is a steal. Hell, the HS34 hole saw is like $35 alone. I've been thinking about adding another radio/antenna, so if I drill another hole I'll probably just pull the one C pillar cover and fish it through instead of tearing the whole truck apart again.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_26_881&products_id=1858

I wonder what sort of FCC band plan includes Rugged Radio's pre-programmed "offroad channels" :confused:

Their lists of frequencies are p/w protected so I can't even see what they are using.

Per a tech article on Pirate4x4.com

"However, before Rugged ship you a radio, they also program it with a "standard" set of frequencies and channel names. For example, for Ultra4 / King of the Hammer's racing, commonly used frequencies include (in MHz):

151.490 - KOH Race Ops – Used internally to maintain control of the race. Also the main channel for the helo.

151.715 - KOH Relay – Used by the checkpoints to radio in their times. Also general channel monitored by Wild Bill (BFG Relay)

157.450 - KOH Medical – Used by ambulances, security, and recovery crews in resolution of emergency. Racers or fans would report emergencies on KOH Relay.

153.395 - BFG Pits – For racer to radio ahead to the BFG pits to let them know what they need.

Other common frequencies in offroad racing include:

151.625 - Weatherman
151.715 - BFG Relay / SNORE / MORE
154.980 - Baja Pits
151.925 - Checkers
151.505 - Checkers Vegas
153.395 - BFG Pits
153.380 - Mag 7
153.245 - CORE
151.775 - Locos Mocos
151.490 - BITD"

prerunner1982

Adventurer
FT-8800r for VHF/UHF, UV-5r with Mobilink TNC and Android Tablet for APRS, and Kenwood TS-480sat for HF.
Browning BR-180 (x2) for VHF/UHF and APRS, and a couple of MJF "hamtennas" for HF. 10m, 20m, and 40m antennas giving me capability on 6m, 10-12m, 15m, 20m, and 40m.

Attachments

• Mobile Command.jpg
    Mobile Command.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 97XJ.jpg
    97XJ.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 77

Mike.rider

Observer
Have an icom 2730a dual band and and icom 5021 in my f150.

d68eff371645f6a577baa9705cb957dd.jpg

e56002cc70aa0189c6fec6a1db8f9b2f.jpg

And then 2 icom 5061s and a yeasu 7900r in my ranger

cb5bfe6097477af89f8f1f044a8a01c6.jpg

416e4c524efbbc6c5ad69c0fb76dc799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87Warrior

GP'er
1999 Land Cruiser install. The Cruiser doesn't have a lot of extra space in the front, so that presented a challenge. This is my take on a 2m/70cm ham install in a 100.

Radio is a Kenwood TM-V71A dual bander. I mounted the radio body under the passenger seat where the factory stereo amplifier was located. A few holes drilled into the stock amplifier brackets was all it took to mount the Kenwood. I left an 8pin data cable plugged in for easy access for radio programing and also ran a 6pin cable to the center console where my Mobilinkd TNC sits for APRS. I did use the Kenwood cable extension kit. This provided me with plenty of cable to reach the battery.
IMAG1527_1.jpg

An external speaker is mounted above the accelerator pedal. Although not an ideal location, it does not interfere with the pedal and can be heard clearly on the highway.
IMAG1528_1.jpg

The control head is held in place with Ram Mount parts and is fed with the RJ45 pass through previously linked in this thread. I used the supplied cable that came in the Kenwood cable kit to feed the pass through.
IMAG1564.jpg

The mic was installed using the same RJ45 pass through and the remaining cable in the Kenwood cable kit.
IMAG1618_1_1.jpg

I mounted the control head and mic so they could be quickly removed and stashed in the console if I felt it was necessary.

Lastly, I used the Gamiviti driver side hood mount to hold a Diamond NR73BNMO antenna. I had to keep the maximum height of the antenna to 7' so I could use the garage. The antenna is at 6'11 1/4" tall, just clearing the garage door :)
16143288_1532332920113701_554940185521488604_n.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
KI4VCY mobile dual band ICOM208H:

qcF3u1sl.jpg

My "new" '09 Toyota Tacoma did present some issues. Coming from a Chevy full size I had to rethink my prior mounting method which was a RAM mount on the transmission hump just under the dash. My needs included something that would look nice, not interfere with controls, cup holders, legs...and be able to be low profile or hidden from view as needed (parking at sports events, long term airport parking, etc.).

I used a 18" flex neck Lido Mount (http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/4979410.htm) for the head. Main radio is under the drivers seat; mic cord runs up from the seat to a dash hook. Functionality is great.

To go into "hide the eye candy mode", I toss the mic under the seat, fold the neck stalk down under/in the passenger area footwell, and pull the magnetic roof antenna off and toss it in the rear seat.

I'll mention I normally have in the past used a NMO antenna mount on the roof...but in the Tacoma's case a center mounted antenna would prevent me from carrying my canoe/kayak...so, I tried the mag mount antenna...and so far am very pleased with performance. I do think the roof location gives you the height and ground plane that gives you the best "shot" at a repeater.

Did a little digging into Stealth Telecom and why the disappeared. I did find some helpful info from a UK dealer still listing them.
http://www.wimo.com/stealth-mobile-antennas-hf_e.html

More digging answered the question. Stealth Telecom antennas was acquired by Codan. Codan is a radio is a radio manufacturer focused on military and commercial use. Stealth antennas are a perfect fit for their ALE linked radios that must use quick frequency changes.
http://www.4-traders.com/CODAN-LIMI...-Antenna-Range-from-Stealth-Telecom-23763488/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles