flip-back build

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Had a Great weekend at Garden of the Gods Illinois!!! (trip report in completed adventures)

the main pivot point sides need to be held down with velcro as when it folds it pulled the staples out..and my phone fell out of the tent on the first night!

deffinitly have to finish sealing it up on the back door..and caulking the corners of the box..

silicon waterproofing and seam sealer will help a few places that dripped during the rain...

the LED strip lights worked awsome!!
tent withstood 30mph wind gusts too..

still needs some things addressed..but it was comfy...and dry..and warmer than a ground tent!! plenty of room to make breakfast inside and enough room we would be able to sleep 2 on the top mattress (our spot) and 3 kiddos in hammocks across the top..(or 2 grown ups in hammocks) and 2 more on an air mattress on the truckbed floor...did need some moisture control...but thats just because it was 45* first night 53* second night and rain...but the heater took care of it.

IMG_3233.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
IMG_3098.jpg
IMG_3169.jpg
image.jpg

Camelfilter

Explorer
Nicely done & thanks for sharing!

Looking at your build (& others), I can totally see why FP's cost what they do. I lack the skills, tools, time and space to build one.

Any plans on throwing down insulation so the metal won't act as a heat sink? That pink foam board might work alright...dunno for sure. I use that roll out grey foam floor type padding in the flip portion of mine just for more comfort-so I'm not moving about on the hard fiberglass before bed.

It'd be awesome if I had the combination of skills etc you do to build one up just rite for me, but I'm pretty happy with my "off the shelf" one.

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
yup! pink foam panels are on the list of things to add...along with finishing the lighting..and seal up the cap from dust and rain (country roads coated everthing in talc dust!!

Thanks for the kudos!! Ive been a craftsman for a while and I really enjoy building custom stuff...

stay tuned still more to come!!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
all 5 minions in the upper bunk!

image.jpg

Lighting the red and white are switched sepperate so you dont kill your night vision.

Also hammock/covers so the tent and ropes dont hang down in the back. (doubles as hammocks/cots for the littler kiddos..

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Added 3 layers of high density underpadding (for carpeting..I'm a contractor so it was laying around)..it added about 1 inch and makes all the diffrence in the world!! Now you can lay on the seam and not compress all the foam mattress...got some repairs done where staples pulled out and got carabiners installed all over and the final mattress securing rope installed (holds it on when you close the lid)...

And the kids played and helped...they found the hammocks to lay in!!

image.jpg

BOPOH

Explorer
just found this thread - it's awesome! any chance i can stop by to check it out in person and maybe get some ideas for my truck?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
So today I decided to get the weather stripping all done (it was getting water inside the front half when driving around..)..some sheets of rubber roll worked perfect! Tucked it in between tent anchor lumber and side lip..also the the back window sealed up and modified it all so it closes and latches now!!

Also you'll notice I took the tent off..I'm gonna redo a
Couple seams and extend the skirt another 4in all the wau around to gicd some flexability to the hinge and add more of a skirt to keep rain from coming in (happened on a good downpour..since the Ripstop is 100% waterproof I don't need a rain fly...yeah me!! And Ripstop By The Roll rocks!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
spent a couple hours rippin and re-stitching...gained about 8in more material for the sides...then added a new skirt addition after seeing how freakin wide the ones are on the habitats...(I was trying to figure out how they kept water outta the bunk area...but mines 100% waterproof so didnt need a rainfly..just saw a Habitat deployed and realized my oversite..)

also added some material to the hinge area and fixed a couple other over-stitch stuff...should go back on wednesday during the day...last time I installed the tent it only took me 2hrs...this time its all laid out and I have more material to work with!!! should go fast!!!

IMG-20130302-00096.jpg

BOPOH

Explorer
fogs/work lights..these dudes ROCK...I had them on my last truck..motorcycle..and my brother liked them so much he has 3 sets on his fishing boat!
(and 2 packs are $30 right now..)

View attachment 303749
http://www.amazon.com/TMS®-1260LM-C...d=1442002196&sr=8-1&keywords=18+watt+led+1260

Hey thanks for advice i bought these $17 a pair and their are truly awesome

11011910_10153707069435320_1113297663251700370_n.jpg

12187811_10153707069430320_429461532808328649_n.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I put 2 of these in the back window of the cap!! Great for backup lighting work/campsite lights!! Love them!! my Twin brother put 2 sets on his fishing boat!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne