NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D45

Explorer
Mileage went from 13.5-14.0 before adjusting the larger size....to 16.8-17.2 afterwards

Much much better, should have adjusted it a long time ago

D45

Explorer
Well, it did change it and finally gave me an accurate reading with the larger than stock tires

D45

Explorer
And now another issue with this truck......
my windshield wipers won't turn off!

Looks like a common problem on these trucks, with a new multifunction switch for like $30

I'll let the dealer deal with it when I take it in for the constant suspension clunking and creaking issue.....appt the last week of May

Jay-T

Suspension clunking in rear or front? If it helps, I had terrible clunking/jarring noise coming from the rear (not constant, but very pronounced over bumps/pot holes). Turns out the stock shackles were binding. Replaced with Camburg rear shackles and the truck has been fine since.

hodgexj1996

Front, constantly
Just read your whole thread. I followed your dodge build a ton, had an 06 myself before I got into this f150. Not gonna lie I feel the buyers remorse a lot myself but this truck is just more comfortable for everyday use.

Onto the front suspension issue, if you have a spacer kit on the stock strut, I'd imagine what your feeling is actually topping out of the suspension. Our trucks stock only.have 3" of droop, with a spacer you eliminate most of that down travel and after you wear out the shock it doesn't do squat to dampen the last bit you have anymore. I went to bilstein 5100s set at 1.5 up front, removed the oem block and added a pro comp AAL. Way better than the oem ride by far and got rid of a lot of the harsh deal you refer to. For giggles id measure the hub to fender with the truck on the ground, than Jack the truck by the frame and measure again. If you have less than an inch of down travel id try getting new shocks. I went through this dilemma for a few weeks before I sorted it out. Check your upper bjs at full droop vs ride height, with a 2.5 spacer they are possibly almost full bind, as well as could be having some coil contact which would make a horrid noise/Feel. I greased the spines on my drive shaft, didn't do ******** for accelerating thump, add a leaf eliminated it almost 100%. AAL with oem blocks would net you roughly same height and I have blocks you can have just pay shipping if you needed them to try. Pm me if you want I don't want to derail your thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Without a doubt, I do still miss my 2004 Dodge...…...but for a daily driver, you are right the F150 is much more comfortable

Thanks for all the info and tips

D45

Explorer
Third dealer was a hit...……….no issues with any of my mods and found (and fixed) a few things, all for $100

The truck will be done this evening or tomorrow morning, the latest

The multi-function switch was faulty and replaced, to cure the ghost wipers

They found a bad ball joint (I believe the lower on the driver side)

They are also performing a TSB for rear pinion/rear driveshaft issue?

huntsonora

Explorer
Were you not adjusting for the size difference in tires when you were hand calculating your MPG?

We’re you just going off what the truck told you it was getting?

D45

Explorer
The dealership called back and said I need front and rear brake pads, ASAP
The truck has 51,000 miles on it?!
My one ton Dodge went 75,000 miles before the front rotors warped and there was still a decent amount of pad life left
Oh well, for $120 they are doing the rear brakes (new pads, rotors turned)
They wanted $450 for front rotors and pads...…..no thanks, I will do that myself this weekend

hodgexj1996

Sounds like a win with all the repairs! Surprised the bjs went out so soon. Well, if it was an upper I'd be less surprised considering with a level the angles are a little worse. Brakes are a joke, mine were paper thin at 35k when I got tires, what rotors are you going with? Mine warped when I upgraded to auto zone ceramic pads. I still highly suggest 5100s, stage 3 has been running smoking deals. Made the truck much more comfortable to drive. Tho I think with 3" rear blocks you'd have to run the 2.25 setting which I hear is a little stiff. Tho that's relative, I thought my Cummins rode good with 3" thuren and his fox 2.0 with rear leafs, this thing is a damn caddy compared.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Brakes a joke, as are many other things on this truck...….still not impressed with built Ford tough

I am probably going with whatever I can find at Advanced Auto...….buy online with a 30% off coupon and pick up in store. Wont be anything fancy or expensive

I wont buy rotors or pads from Autozone and I think Oreillys is just as bad

D45

Explorer
Truck is back......and is quiet and smooth!
Replaced the driver side lower ball joint and replaced multi-function switch (for the wipers)
Also performed TSB 14-0090, lubed driveshaft splines and adjusted pinion bearing preload
9L3Z-3050-A; Joint
BL3Z-4676-A; Seal
FL3Z-7N357-A; Shim
N800594-S100; Bolt
BC3Z-13K359-BA; Switch
XY-75W140-QL; Oil
BR-1602; Kit

D45

Explorer
I get the truck back from the dealer, with a fault code? ******
B10F1
I know for a fact it wasn't there when it was dropped off
I cleared it out, see what happens

Here is the info on the TSB 14-0090 that was performed:
Some 2011-2014 F-150 vehicles built on 1/1/2011 and through 4/1/2014 may exhibit an intermittent click or snap-type noise from the rear axle on initial light acceleration from a stop while in drive or reverse. The noise may also occur on light acceleration after changing direction from drive to reverse, or reverse to drive.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/14-0090.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior