NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I will agrue that it is a Ford issue

I know numerous F150s owners with rusted out junk painted bumpers. Most were bought new and were never in Michigan

Some of these truck also are garage stored and detailed and pampered.

My truck was in Michigan for only 17,000 miles

I wouldn't say its inherently a Ford problem, all trucks will have a fair bit of surface rust on the undercarriage unless you're idiosyncratic like myself and clean that ******** with a wire brush, rattle can and fluid film to protect it. The thing is that the road salt in Michigan is such a wild card man; It can increase the rate of rust exponentially. Perhaps the rusting bumpers are symptomatic of a bad batch of clear coat or inherent to one specific color? I'm just spitballing.

I know of plenty of SoCal Raptor owners who don't have a lick of rust on it outside of the aforementioned undercarriage rust, and they barely take care of them outside of a monthly wash. Anecdotally, I've seen less rust on trucks in Hawaii that I knew had been in salt water than I did on trucks from Michigan.

Also as to your MPG woes. Somethings fucky.. I get between 12 and 14 mpg daily with the 6.2 and upwards of 15 to 16 mpg on long highway trips. Thats with heavy beadlock wheels, mind you.

Grassland

For the 09-14 trucks the painted front bumpers don't hold up anywhere near what the chrome ones do.

As far as your brakes wearing out "so soon" that's a heavy truck with oversized tires. Didn't read every page of the thread but of you were hauling lots or towing it would run through stock brakes quick.
I managed 92000 km on stock brakes and they were completely done. Truck spent 4 years towing a small trailer and running with 1500# in it.
Did you ever get issue with driveshaft figured out?
The LWB trucks got that multi piece job I vaguely recall hearing about problems but never a solution.

gtbensley

Explorer
Sooo what happened to the Ecoboost that is accident related and having you drive a rental Ram? Hope everyone is okay.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I own a 2012 EB SCSB and went through the whole slipyoke saga - would grease it with the Ford teflon grease and the clunk kept returning. The problem is, they initially designed them to have a zinc (I think) coating on the splines and not need grease. The zinc wore off and the material begins to wear. By the time the clunk starts, it's too late. I replaced my slip yoke, greased it from the start and have almost 75k on it with no issues at all. The long bed version has the same issue.

D45

Explorer
Driveshaft clunk was never fixed

Two diff dealers and I did the greasing also myself. All attempts only cured the clunking for 3-4 months. A terrible design

I have have long bed truck before, never had an issue before buying a Ford

D45

Explorer
Sooo what happened to the Ecoboost that is accident related and having you drive a rental Ram? Hope everyone is okay.

Yes an accident

Rebel is getting 17.6 mpg......my Ecoboost never ever got this much

Over sized tires? 275/65R20 Are pretty mild.....I ran 35s and 37s before on other trucks, with no issues

D45

Explorer
Insurance said it's a totally loss

There's a discrepancy between the truck being a long bed and a short bed. It's a long bed but state farm has it as a SHORT

I have to prove its a long bed before they discussed payout

Grassland

There's a discrepancy between the truck being a long bed and a short bed. It's a long bed but state farm has it as a SHORT

Sounds painful. I guess a picture of the bed with a tape measure isn't enough? Good ole' insurance agencies trying to get out of paying money.

Thats a 34x10.5 tire roughly, and I am assuming an LT load E tire. Its still 2" larger than stock. What was your fuel economy once you actually corrected for the larger tires?

blacklbzbeauty

The vin# will tell the insurance company exactly how the truck was built from the factory. No discrepancy or proving should be needed.

D45

Explorer
I pulled a lot of items off the truck

weathertech front floor liners
super crew rear floor Ford one piece liner
ARE cap
pedal commander
tire size programmer
Ford heavy rubber bed mat

D45

Explorer
I am considering an aluminum body with the 5.0L V8

Ford still having driveline issues with the 2015+ trucks?

With the 5.5 bed, is it an aluminum one piece rear driveshaft?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94