NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Most aftermarket intakes are hot intakes also LOL. When we switch from cold intake to hot intake to avoid carb ice in the old Cessna its like a 15% power hit. Always cracks me up when I see kids rip out the cold intake and install a system drawing air from under the hood. I just shake my head and laugh. Given Ford probably uses the same intake on larger engines I wouldn't bother with it chances are it can probably support 500hp just fine. All the recent guys doing mods to their new trucks the one's doing the high end suspension stuff seem to be the most happy the difference in ride quality and ability to carry some speed on the dirt is pretty big.

That's true my 06 f150 stock pulls air from the inner fender. It is more of a cold air intake then the aftermarket models. With the power these trucks are throwing down today like you said the money should go towards suspension.

D45

Explorer
I love the power sliding rear window and that it has defroster

Also, the locking tailgate with the locking cap makes things so much secure

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Very smooth motor, smooth power throughout the RPM band

Definitely powerful for a V6..........it is nice and quiet too

Mileage is decent, with the 2" leveling kit and the LT275s (a tad over 34" tall), I am only seeing 16-18 mpg

I am going to swap over to synthetic oil and see if the cold air intake helps at all..........then onto some custom tuning

Nice quiet truck! Your mileage is better than my neighbor's 2wd w/pizza cutters. Watch the warranty with mods. The shop I use was doing the front brakes on one @ 87K. Fuel economy read 14.8. Ecoboost 4wd with stock tires.
If the Beast ever goes an F-150 will be in the driveway.

D45

Explorer
The stability control and traction control really make the truck completely solid, both on and off road

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
Nice truck. I picked up a 2011 SC EB F150 with tow and all the crap you do not need last November. Wish we had the nav screen, but our back up camera is in the mirror. We have put over 20K on ours since purchase, and now pushing almost 56K miles. We run BFG KO2 on stock 18's and a big heavy Westin Grill Guard. Our average is 14.9 overall. We have seen as high as 19.5 on the highway but i do commute in the truck alot which sucks the mileage down. Also, we tow ... over 5K miles of towing in the 20K we have put on it.

You will not be disappointed.

Mooneywa

Absolutely switch to synthetic oil. There are, as I'm sure you've read on the f-150 forums, issues with the timing chains that are a result of the breaking down of engine oil that also lubes the chain. The synthetic oil won't break down as easily. Also, I know "nowadays" it's fine to go 5k, 7k, even 10k on oil changes, but with the aforementioned oil issues I'd recommend closer to 3k, definitely no more than 5k. It's good insurance, especially if you don't have a ext. warranty.

For those following along wondering how the oil breaks down - it's a lot of chemistry I don't totally understand but essentially a poorly designed vacuum system that allows fuel to mix in with the oil.

Last bit of advice: every so often really drive the thing hard. The direct injection doesn't clean the valves as well and you'll get a lot of buildup that can be "minimized" by giving it the razz now and again.

Enjoy the new ride!

PS - I did buy a catch can. It's amazing the garbage I pull out of the engine. I don't know if you *need* one but I figured it doesn't hurt.

D45

Explorer
Does Amsoil make a bypass kit for these trucks?

I ran a bypass kit and ran synthetic for 15k, with oil analysis

Mooneywa

I haven't read about too many, if any, bypass kits being used. While in normal engines synthetic, especially of the Amsoil caliber, should go that far. But there is just so much fuel dilution in the ecoboost/DI motors, I wouldn't trust it.

The oil analysis is a good tool to see where you stand before you go drop $350 on a catch can.

Coming from a diesel you're used to giving the motor a lot of attention. I don't think the ecoboost requires as much attention, but definitely more than the 5.0L would.

D45

Explorer
I am looking to get some "in-channel" window vent visors for the truck

I would also like to find a 4 piece door sill protector kit........there is A LOT of exposed paint on the door sills

Does anyone make a 4 piece sill guard kit? I can only find a 2 piece

D45

Explorer
What is the oil viscosity for these trucks?

Seems to be a lot of conflicting info.............5W-30

Looks like 6 full quarts, with the oil filter

east_tn_81

Adventurer
What is the oil viscosity for these trucks?

Seems to be a lot of conflicting info.............5W-30

Looks like 6 full quarts, with the oil filter

should say on the oil cap. As far as capacity I would see if your truck still has a manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles