NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D

Deleted member 9101

I am considering an aluminum body with the 5.0L V8

Ford still having driveline issues with the 2015+ trucks?

With the 5.5 bed, is it an aluminum one piece rear driveshaft?

The 5.0 is a good motor for being a NA V8. It won't pull like an Ecoboost, but it will get the job done.

I haven't had a problem with my driveline.

I don't know if my drive shaft is aluminum, but it is two piece.

D45

Explorer
I will not be running 35s or 37s

With 3.73s, the truck did good with the 275/65R20s

I will also never buy a truck with 20" wheels again. The ride was harsh

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I will also never buy a truck with 20" wheels again. The ride was harsh

I have a 2013 that had the 20" wheels when I bought it, switched to 17s and the ride is a lot better. Luckily if you buy a truck with 20s they are fairly valuable and move quickly. I sold my used set of 4 with bald tires for $500, and bought a set of 4 used Method 305 NV 17" with BFG KO2s for $500.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Are you set on buying new? or a newer generation at least? The 2013/14 GEN1 Ford Raptors are still stout as hell and while the MPG is gonna be less than great (I see 13.5 average overall and 15.5 on longer highway trips) but it will pick up and go real quick. The aftermarket support for it is near the top end of the spectrum, up there with Jeeps and Tacomas. The towing not the priority but I've still pulled a 20 something foot boat a few hundred miles no problem. The Payload is more than a Tacoma or a Jeep JK as well.

I've driven the newer Raptor with the 3.5 and its great as well, but if you don't like the EcoBoost you will still be unhappy. The 5.0 was plenty good but in my opinion is worse engine than the 6.2 (despite the 6.2 being old tech) and not nearly as perky as the 3.5 in the non-Raptor F150s.

I've replaced my driveshaft with an aftermarket one, for what its worth.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I don't get the big wheel rubber band tire look. I saw plenty in Florida when I visited.

Its the Flora-Bama, North Carolina "yee yee" look. Plenty of shitbox trucks around my parts with 20+ inch rims, "stanced" lift kits and not a spec of dirt on them.

Not saying you have to offroad your truck for it to be useful, but if your bed is at an angle and the tailgate starts mid chest then you should be able to take it offroad lol.

@D45 Id say get a Raptor but I'm biased.

gtbensley

Explorer
I think I loved the features but wasn't a fan of the motor

They do have nice features (I am a Ford fan) but your thread is filled with dislike for the entire truck it seemed? Maybe it was the frustration of a motor compiled with the normal vehicle issues that made it seem that way. The 5.0 is a very stout motor.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
They’re nice but stupid expensive. They really hold their value. Probably better than Tacoma’s.

They really do hold their value, but they are worth it, especially the 2013/14s. They have a Torsen front diff and upgraded headlights which help set them out from the other GEN1s. I see a lot of the 2010-12 in the high 20s or low 30s even with 80 to 100k miles on them. Last time the Ford dealership offered me 42K with about 55K miles, and I have a 2014 SE.

When I lived in Hawaii there was total JUNK Tacomas still on Craigslist for 12 to 18k. Like Fleet trucks that were absolutely abused and still garnered a premium. Tacomas also fit into the Jeep "trail" size a lot better than any F150 or Raptor so thats one of the reasons they hold their value.

D45

Explorer
Items for sale from my 2012 F150 with the 3.5L:

Pedal Commander: 175
Hypetech Programmer: 150
Front Weathertech liners: 100
Super Crew Rear Floor liner: 100
Heavy duty bed mat: 100
ARE Z series cap: 1,000

located in nw Indiana

Forum statistics

Threads