NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D45

Explorer
I never use the parking brake, the noise is definitely coming from the driver side front suspension area

The popping and clunking is also in the front end

Now I am also getting an intermittent rear driveshaft pop/clunk.....probably the infamous rear slip yoke is dry and needs to be greased

I wonder if peeling chrome is covered under warranty? I would hope so

stingray1300

Explorer
D45, I saw your posting over on F150forums.com. Frustrating. But I think I happened upon a possible fix (?). Do you have OEM or aftermarket UCAs?
Here's why I ask. I too have been plagued with the snapping/popping in the front end. Today I set aside time to do normal maintenance on my '13. I have Icon UCAs. Popped the ball joint caps and cleaned the crap out and reinstalled. Then I saw Icon's video for maintenance on their UCAs, and they suggested something I never thought of: loosening the frame-to-UCA bolts, THEN greasing them. THEN retorque the bolts. I thought "what a good idea". That way grease gets into every nook and cranny. (I use molybdenum/graphite grease).
I buttoned everything up and went to run an errand. I wasn't really expecting anything, but lo and behold, no more popping! I tried to get it to do it, but nothin' doin'. Call me happy!
So, if you have aftermarket UCAs, it might be time to do some maintenance on them. If you have OEMs, it might be time to get new bushings (or a whole new UCA) - ? I hope this gives a direction for you to go to resolve this on your truck!

stingray1300

Explorer
I have OEM lowers as well. They usually don't need replacing until the ball joint goes bad. But you might want to have your uppers checked out.
Oh, and I forgot to tell the rest of the story: I disconnected the sway bar ends. With my BOSS coilovers, I can hardly tell that it's disconnected, but the ride is a scoshe more compliant. I'm eager to see how it takes the trails now. I also shot the top and bottom of the coil spring (contact surface) with HD silicone spray. On aftermarket coilovers the coil springs are cut flat, as where the OEMs have a "loose" bottom and a rubber cushion where it contacts the LCA.
Have you tried retorqueing the UCAs? Just trying to think of anything that might help. It's been 4 days, and no sign of the popping on my truck...

155mm

Adventurer
Well today I decided to finally inspect the undercarriage to try to locate a "thud" noise that I have been hearing for the last 3-4 months

It really only happens on acceleration and seems to be on the driver side floorboards areas

I know there are numerous complaints about the rear driveshaft slip yoke, but the only real way to tell this is to take off the driveshaft, pull the boot and see if its dry.......something I will let the dealership do under warranty

I checked the rear axle u-bolts, and they are tight

I jacked each from tire up off the ground and checked the ball joints, tie rod ends, and the sway bar end links..........all were tight

Any other ideas ?

If you think it's the slip yoke, it'll be faster to clean and relube it yourself than to go to the dealer and wait. It's very easy; quicker than an oil change. There is a lightweight Motorcraft Teflon lube the dealerships use, but I used brake grease and it's been working great. Transfer case oil does get pulled into that area as the driveshaft extends during suspension travel, so I think that's why the slip yoke noise is such a common problem. Maybe the oil washes the grease out. That's why I tried the brake grease since it's fairly thick and seems less prone to washout than a thin soupy Teflon. Plus I already had some so I didn't have to go buy the other stuff....

D45

Explorer
I might try the rear slip yoke myself........just feel its wasteful, since I have warranty

But, I would probably have to pay a deductible

D45

Explorer
I have a two piece rear shaft, the videos I found only dealt with a one piece and they only greased the front yoke that goes into the tcase

Is the yoke supposed to be getting grease or the slip joint (that is covered by the boot?.......or both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2snOCyqVMY&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Qo-806n9g

According to a Ford worker I know, greasing it all the time is just a band-aid. the Yoke is the wrong size!!

The original yoke is a bit too wide and that causes the friction ( that's the noise )

D45

Explorer
I found the replacement clamps for the boot covering the slip joint, on the two piece shafts:
Ford: 9L3Z 3B478 A
Oetiker: 16706325 (50MM)

Ford also sells a kit, that includes the grease and clamp:
9L3Z-4W602-A

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
Ok odd.........I loaded the bed up with over 1,000 pounds of scrap old pressure treated wood from a deck I was tearing out

The truck did great, did not even squat an inch

I drove the truck for two days with this load in the bed..........NO CLUNKING OR POPPING noises

The creaking in the front suspension is still there, when rocking the truck side to side

stingray1300

Explorer
Sounds like your rear leafs are riding on the overload springs (mine hit them at about 20K miles when a load was in the back - they won't go any further.) It really is time for new springs (why I went with Deavers).
Also, the front is unloaded a bit with the weight in the back. Sorry to break it to you, but it sounds like your UCAs need replacing...

D45

Explorer
I think I found the catch can I will try out, without killing my bank account

JLT's 3.0 kit seems nice and simple.......and affordable

I know its a $55,000 truck, but I cannot justify a $500 catch can kit

Holds 3 ounces too

I like it mounts cleanly on the firewall and uses no clamp hoses

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/JL...coBoost-JLT-Oil-Separator-Passenger-Side.html

I am going to install it when I do my next oil change and I will also be installing some new plugs

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
I am also hoping to close the deal on some 2017 Raptor wheels/tires, with only 150 miles on them

Just will need to buy some new pressure sensors and some black splined lug nuts

D45

Explorer

D45

Explorer
Changed the plugs, again today.......also did an oil and filter change

I also removed three sensors (air box, near the TB, and one on top of the manifold) and hosed them down with sensor cleaner

Fresh tank of fuel and some Royal Purple fuel system cleaner

I disconnected the battery while doing all the maintenance

I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94