NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D45

Explorer
I cannot say enough about the DT Adjustable Lockable Receiver............simply love it. Easy to adjust, rated very well, and is SECURE

001.jpg

002.jpg

011.jpg

Also love this tool kit..........portable, made VERY WELL, and somewhat cheap (bargain cave at Cabelas for $70)

Self contained in a very heavy duty carrying bag................Hi-Lift Handle All

Telescoping implement handle, Full-sized shovel head, Full-sized sledge hammer head, Full-sized axe head, Full-sized pick-axe head

014.jpg

015.jpg

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
The new PIAA light switch arrived and it was a fast, easy install

Just cut three wires off the old switch and three wires off the PIAA harness

Solder and install........the double sided tape holds the PIAA switch nicely in place without having to drill a huge hole in the dash panel

Much nice switch now and am loving the LED bar

Time to install the Corsa resonator delete now.........hopefully tonight

adrstout

Adventurer
Clean install on that light bar. Just did a single row behind the grille myself. I'm not a huge fan of light bars aesthetically but they are effective so I like low profile mounting options. Been quietly following your build for a while and really like it.

20170325_174624.jpgs

D45

Explorer
Stock resonator is OUT and the Corsa delete pipe is IN

Removal went smooth, broke off the two bolts on the flange end the broke the bolt on the clamp in

Heat from a torch loosened up the clamp up fast and a large pipe wrench helped to turn and loosen it

Total install time was an hour

Nice rumble at idle.........sounds pretty damn good for a V6. I will drive it tomorrow and see how it does on the road

20170403_171357_zpseawpx9vh.jpg

20170403_171240_zpsbix3jy7g.jpg

20170403_171221_zpsexevq5zw.jpg

20170403_171214_zpsph0sjtnj.jpg

20170403_164309_zpsaskafp7n.jpg

20170403_164314_zpsojg4h6br.jpg

20170403_164305_zpsqawup6z1.jpg

gtbensley

Explorer
To answer your question on pirate....run a catch can. It will significantly cut down on carbon buildup in your engine and help to keep issues away down the road. As far as what one in particular, can't really give much insight.

D45

Explorer
Well the dealer can't find the constant clunk, which only happens on acceleration

They can duplicate it, but cannot fix it

Pathetic......I am going to try to tighten the differential mounting bolts ( which on some Raptor trucks are loose) and also try swapping in the Raptor V8 trans mount, which they claim to help

If not, I am going to have the slip joints on the rear driveshaft greased and then look into new front shocks/struts

D45

Explorer
..........and now, a LOUD creaking noise is coming from the driver side wheel well area when the suspension moves

littlevulture

..........and now, a LOUD creaking noise is coming from the driver side wheel well area when the suspension moves

I get a loud clunking from that area in my 2008 F-150. From my research I think it's the sway bar but I haven't been able to disconnect it yet to verify. I'd give that a check.

D45

Explorer
The newer creaking noise happens when I turn the steering back and forth.......like a bushing is dry somewhere

The old clunking noise happens when I accelerate........like something is loose

Very annoying for a truck that stickered for $52k

D45

Explorer
I drove some truck over the past weeks, all way too expensive for me..........but just to get a feel on a the used truck market

Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, with the 5.7L Hemi. Power was nice, just seemed it was all higher RPMs. Truck felt "cheap"

Chevy 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L V8.........pathetic low end power. Smooth motor and smooth acceleration though

I drove my friends loaded out $60k GMC 1500 with the 6.2L V8..........I loved it, power power power

My 3.5L Eco definitely has more low end power and a stronger off the line feel..........interior is by far, the nicest

Just an FYI observation

mizedog

Observer
I drove some truck over the past weeks, all way too expensive for me..........but just to get a feel on a the used truck market

Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, with the 5.7L Hemi. Power was nice, just seemed it was all higher RPMs. Truck felt "cheap"

Chevy 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L V8.........pathetic low end power. Smooth motor and smooth acceleration though

I drove my friends loaded out $60k GMC 1500 with the 6.2L V8..........I loved it, power power power

My 3.5L Eco definitely has more low end power and a stronger off the line feel..........interior is by far, the nicest

Just an FYI observation
Thanks for this. Did you feel the Ecoboost is in the same league as the other V8s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Yes, definitely feel the 3.5L Eco holds up to most of the V8s in the class

The 3.5L has power down low, something most lack.....especially with the low RPM band torque

The 6.2L Chevy motor is a beast though, I am very in love with in

stingray1300

Explorer
The real beauty of the EcoBoost, is that most V8s achieve maximum torque at around 5,000 rpms +/-, while the EB's maximum torque is achieved at around 2,500 rpms. Which would you choose to "off-road" with? And, for a mere $300+, you can add another 65-85 horsepower and another 50-70 ft lbs of torque (with a tune... even a boxed one).
Have a look at www.tfltruck.com (The Fast Lane Trucks) for all kinds of compare testing these guys do, especially towing tests on the Ike Gauntlet in Colorado. And there's also pickuptrucks.com.

D45

Explorer
Yup.....low power band power makes it a good platform

Just for comparison, here are the available motors in a Chevy 1500 Silverado:

4.3L V6
285 horsepower at 5,300 RPM
305 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,900 RPM

5.3L V8
355 horsepower at 5,600 RPM
383 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,100 RPM

6.2L V8
420 horsepower at 5,600 RPM