New XJ for Overland Build

07EXPOJK

found some rust

WIN_20150910_105246.JPGWIN_20150910_100122.JPGWIN_20150910_151659.JPGSo I knew I had one small rust problem that I needed to fix for inspection. I decided I was going to weld in some sheet metal then seal it. Problem is I have never welded in my life I've seen a lot of people do it but never tried. So I bought a welder and decided to start. They are the ugliest welds I have ever seen but they held here are some pics. I also changed the hubs and u joints this weekend too. After doing the hubs I went out for a test drive and my pass side u joint blew up. Had to take the able out of the tube t drive home in a thunderstorm....

F40

Adventurer
Your new hub/bearing may be junk after being driven on without an axle shaft in place. The shaft keeps the bearing together.

jswift716

Adventurer
They come in really handy for helmets, ext. cords, rope, harnesses, shovels, etc. definitely worth they're weight.

Anak

Stranger
Your new hub/bearing may be junk after being driven on without an axle shaft in place. The shaft keeps the bearing together.

I have wondered about this. Do you know what they do differently on the two wheel drives with the beam front axle? The spindles look the same from a casual glance. I have never really delved into the issue though. I have pressed apart a unit bearing from a 4wd XJ and it did not seem to require an excessive amount of effort, so I can imagine it could come apart without a stub shaft in there. Do 2wds run a dummy stub shaft? Just curious.

To the OP, looks like a nice starting point.

Mitch502

Explorer
I have wondered about this. Do you know what they do differently on the two wheel drives with the beam front axle? The spindles look the same from a casual glance. I have never really delved into the issue though. I have pressed apart a unit bearing from a 4wd XJ and it did not seem to require an excessive amount of effort, so I can imagine it could come apart without a stub shaft in there. Do 2wds run a dummy stub shaft? Just curious.

To the OP, looks like a nice starting point.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/replacing-wheel-bearings-early-xj-2wd-front-spindles-205333/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94