CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

njtacoma

Explorer
Am I interested in a CJ5 build? maybe
Am I building it? No thanks
Are you building it? Yes please, very much.

Last edited:

big a

Adventurer
I'm in too!!! Looks like a cool build!!! Everything is so modded out anymore, incl my build, that it's really nice to see something being built near stock form in all of it's simplicity!

I really enjoy your builds!

-Andy

Hondarider

Adventurer
Love it! I'll be following along for sure. I'm shopping for my next project vehicle right now so I'm stuck living vicariously through others. The more pics and details, the better.

I'm in too!!! Looks like a cool build!!! Everything is so modded out anymore, incl my build, that it's really nice to see something being built near stock form in all of it's simplicity!

I really enjoy your builds!

-Andy

Thanks everybody.

I agree about the heavily modified builds. It's nice to get to work within OEM parameters for a change. Not everyone wants an extreme build. The guys that would own a Jeep like this already have a crawler or expo rig and they want something to drive on the weekends. Let's say this is a sports car for the rugged bunch.

On a side note, I am having a hell of a time sourcing OEM style body mount hardware. Namely the bushings and sleeves. They don't seem to exist. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to buy OEM NOS Jeep parts, I'm all ears.

We bought a kit from Omix ADA based on their description, "Direct OE replacement Jeep parts and accessories built to the original specifications by Omix-ADA." All I can say is...they lied.

big a

Adventurer
I've bought and used very few aftermarket parts that say the same thing that don't end up having to be modified! I just altered my expectation and I no longer get frustrated! But, if I was doing this for a living and it cost time to repair new parts, that might be a different story.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
im excited to follow, my dad still has his 76 CJ 5 he bought new and I've loved your other builds. I'm sure you're aware of it but if not, check out earlycj5.com for resources on parts, etc.

kilo19

I have noticed a trend forming, people want to drive a cool old stock Jeep. A lot of these people have rock crawlers but they want something stock. They wouldn't necessarily drive it to work, but maybe after work and on weekends they aren't off on some hardcore trail. I plan on a few of these builds, but this is the first.

The only before pics I have are of the chassis. That's how I bought it. I brought the complete chassis directly to the blasters, motor, trans, axles and all. I'll snap a couple pics of the original tub so you can see why we decided to replace it.

When I bought the Jeep, it only had 3 of those cool tires on it. I searched high and low, but could not source a fourth. The original wheels wouldn't fit with the disc brakes anyway so new wheels and tires were purchased.

Here are the only three pics I have of the chassis before we tore it down. If you click on them, you can see them in full size.

If your still looking for a cool tire, I have an old 80 cj5 from mine still. Was saving it as kind of a vintage thing, but if you think you could use it. Its about 8" by 30/32" tall I think. (if that is what you were referring to.

If your still looking for a cool tire, I have an old 80 cj5 from mine still. Was saving it as kind of a vintage thing, but if you think you could use it. Its about 8" by 30/32" tall I think. (if that is what you were referring to.
I don't need it anymore, but I have 3 Remingtons that I'll sell you!

While the chassis was being worked out, the engine, trans and t-case were torn down to inspect. I was hoping, obviously, that all were in good shape, but they were not. I never drove the Jeep, having bought it as a basket case, but I did fire the motor before I pulled it out of the chassis. It sounded ok then, but after pulling the head, we discovered evidence of a past blown head gasket. The rings had at some point rusted to the bores and left some pretty bad pitting. So much for keeping the costs down...

I have a background in engine building, having worked for Rebello Racing for about a decade, but a call was made to my friend Kurt at Maine Machine in Concord, CA. He sourced all the pats, bored the block and assembled the bottom end as well as a comprehensive rebuild of the head. My dad then finished assembly of the motor.

The trans and t-case were in decent shape, but my dad treated them to a complete overhaul as well. Why not right?

At this point, we were pretty committed to keeping the Jeep more or less stock, after all, we just rebuilt the 232 ci 6 cylinder, so care was taken to sort out all the small powertrain related details like finding the original color for the engine, sourcing a new exhaust manifold and having it matched to the intake manifold, rebuilding the distributor, carburetor, etc.

Here are the few pics I have of the engine. I wish I had taken more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles