3rd Gen 22re Pickup. TAT and TET slow budget build.

Thoryota

Observer
Build looks great! I ran a LC Dual Row on my 4runner, so good. Only problem was matching all the new hardware on the thicker cover.

Thanks ToyotaRoamer86. Is there anything else to watch for on the Dual row install? I havent made it that far yet. Just waiting on my buddy to pick up another marble tile so we can finish decking the block. Had a couple passes left with 220 grit sand paper and we dropped the tile breaking it in the floor. A new tile is the only thing keeping me from putting this thing back together and breaking it on the next round of abuse.

Clay

Adventurer
Over the last week while waiting on some parts for the timing chain job I set to work building a tire carrier. I built it using nothing but simple tools. A 4 1/2'' angle grinder with grinding rocks and cut off wheels, and a basic tombstone stick welder. Anyone can do this if they take their time. The tire carrier was built out of stuff laying around. I might have a total of fifty dollars in it. The hinge set up while it works is not perfect. If I ever decide to redo the mount I will redo the hinges for sure. They do work but with the weight of the tire the pins bind up. To open the carrier I have to beat the pin out with a hammer. To latch it shut I have to beat the pin back in. This might be a good thing in the fact that the pins will not jump out going down the road and the tire falls off the back. Also with everything bound up the carrier might not rattle. I need to get the truck running again to see if this is going to be true. Also if I drive both pins out the entire mount is removable so I can use the truck for truck things if needed.
I have two questions about your tire carrier. How did you mount the tire to it? What do you think about having the tire offset like that, is it better for visibility or does it matter?

Thoryota

Observer
I have two questions about your tire carrier. How did you mount the tire to it? What do you think about having the tire offset like that, is it better for visibility or does it matter?

Clay the tire is mounted via a steel plate with some holes drilled in it for the wheel studs. This does work but it is ugly and I do not like it. I found a complete IFS Toyota front hub with locking hub I am going to use instead. This will look a lot better and have six studs holding the tire instead of two. I will also have a spare locking hub if needed. The tire carrier is offset so I can add jerry cans or a tool box at a later date. Visibility is pretty bad no matter where you put the tire. I mean a 32'' tire takes up a lot of room. Its all I see out of the third mirror.

Thoryota

Observer
No real updates over the last week or two. I was able to get another marble tile and finished decked the block. I have the head and timing chain installed. Just waiting on the two timing cover gaskets that LCEngineering has separate instead of part of their kit. I mean whats a 5 dollar gasket in a 400 dollar kit. Just a minor set back. They should be here sometime next week. When I get a little more done I will post a decent size picture dump of the engine going back together. I know we all love pictures.

I also scored a new hinge and latch for the tire carrier. I will post pictures of it when I do the picture dump. I need to do some modifying but it does function better than my current setup. It came off a friends JK with 33's. The hinge worked fine but the bumper just wasnt up to the task, so he cut it off. I will post pictures of the modifying and final product. Any how here is a current picture of the blue pile sitting in the yard waiting on parts.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 32.jpg
    yota timing chain 32.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 32

Thoryota

Observer
Well the timing chain cover gaskets and valve cover sticker showed up in the mail today. This means I can start putting the truck back together. Sadly I have have to wait till Friday to start on it again. On the bright side I have yet another LCEngineering catalog to look at and more stickers for extra horsepower. Every sticker adds five horsepower so I am up to about 40 extra over stock now. If only it was that easy and cheap.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 33.jpg
    yota timing chain 33.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 28

Thoryota

Observer
Last night I went to put the timing chain cover on and ran into a decent sized problem. The head gasket supplied in the LCEngineering head gasket set was made wrong. The bolt hole where the hidden bolt runs through the head and the timing cover was made a half a bolt hole off. Thus making it impossible to put the bolt through the head into the cover. This proved to be very aggravating and caused lots of cussing and tool throwing in the shop. We tried to notch the bolt hole in the gasket for clearance and it still would not go. The last time we tried mounting the cover for the night the head gasket folded over and got destroyed by the timing chain cover. This was around 10pm and I just gave up for the night.

I went to autozone this morning and bought a Felpro head gasket. Don't get me wrong Felpro makes great stuff but this gasket does not look near as well made as the LCEngineering one. This is sad (to me anyhow) being that I wanted to use all LCEngineering parts on this job. I did not want to have to wait till monday to see if they would send me a new gasket or pay really high shipping so I went to autozone. To me this is kinda ''halfassing" things but I need the truck done. So if anyone was wondering, there will be no picture update in this post. It will be coming in the next one. Tomorrow I will be pulling the timing chain, guides, tensioner, and head and replace the faulty new head gasket. I will be taking pictures then.

Thoryota

Observer
Got a lot accomplished this afternoon. As promised here is a massive picture dump. I need to break this into two posts due to the fact they only allow ten pictures per post. Disappointing to me any how.

So anyhow here we go. The head gasket LCEngineering sent was made wrong. All the holes on the block lined up like they should but the bolt hole for the hidden bolt that runs through the head into the timing cover was half a bolt hole off. Thus making it impossible to get the bolt to screw in. So with that said I went to my local Autozone and bought a Felpro head gasket for 25 dollars. I did not want to wait a week for LCE to send me the right one. Now the Felpro gasket does not have near the same feel and quality as the LCE one but it is still a quality piece. I have never had bad luck with Felpro products. I just wanted to use all LCE parts on this build.

So with that said I pulled the head. First I removed the cam gear off of the cam shaft. Next I removed the timing chain and gear off of the cam shaft and let it rest in the timing chain guides. This worked out very well. Next I installed the new Felpro head gasket. Next I installed the head. I stuck the head bolts in their holes but left them loose. This allowed me to move the head as needed when installing the timing cover. After installing the timing cover I then installed the oil pump. Next I torqued the timing chain cover to 8ft lbs on the small bolts and 15 ft lbs on the larger bolts. The oil pump was torqued to 9 ft lbs. I still need to torque the cam gear bolt but I need to do it in the truck to keep the engine from turning over.

After installing the head and the timing chain and cover and torquing everything to spec I then turned my attention to the rear main seal. The rear main seal was done three years ago when the clutch was done and it was in good shape. I probably could of reused it but I figured now would be a good time to do it. I first removed the 5 12mm bolts that hold the rear main seal to the block. I then gently pulled on the cover and it came off. Before removing the old seal I scraped all the dirt and grease out of the inside of the cover. Next taking a pair of channel locks I pulled the old seal out. Thus destroying it in the process. After destroying the old seal I then greased the area where the new seal gets pressed in. Grease is necessary in putting the new seal in. It helps it slide into place with out tearing. I also greased the crank shaft where the rear main seal sits. After that I placed the supplied gasket and installed the new seal. The bolts on the housing get torqued to 15ft lbs.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 34.jpg
    yota timing chain 34.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 22
  • yota timing chain 35.jpg
    yota timing chain 35.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 26
  • yota timing chain 36.jpg
    yota timing chain 36.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 23
  • yota timing chain 37.jpg
    yota timing chain 37.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 24
  • yota timing chain 38.jpg
    yota timing chain 38.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 24
  • yota timing chain 39.jpg
    yota timing chain 39.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 25
  • yota timing chain 40.jpg
    yota timing chain 40.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 25
  • yota timing chain 41.jpg
    yota timing chain 41.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 28
  • yota timing chain 42.jpg
    yota timing chain 42.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 25
  • yota timing chain 43.jpg
    yota timing chain 43.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 26

Thoryota

Observer
After installing the new rear main seal I then turned the engine over to install the oil pan. Before putting the oil pan gasket on I put a then layer of rtv around the block. Next I installed the oil pan gasket. The oil pan gasket came from Felpro. As did the rear main seal. After installing the oil pan gasket I then wiped out the inside of the oil pan and set it on the engine. Next I took all the bolts and two nuts and ran them down to where they just make contact with the oil pan. I then torqued the bolts down to 9ft lbs. Yes oil pan bolts have a set torque.

Next I flipped the engine back over and installed the freshly painted valve cover. I just set it on top of the engine to keep everything sealed. I need to remove the cover and drill out the spot welds that hold the inner baffle inside the valve cover. This is to provide enough clearance for the dual row timing chain.

Any how this is it for now. Sometime next week I should have the engine back in the truck. Or at least really close to going back in. I will post pictures of that adventure when it happens.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 44.jpg
    yota timing chain 44.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 50
  • yota timing chain 45.jpg
    yota timing chain 45.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 52
  • yota timing chain 46.jpg
    yota timing chain 46.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 49
  • yota timing chain 47.jpg
    yota timing chain 47.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 48
  • yota timing chain 48.jpg
    yota timing chain 48.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 50
  • yota timing chain 49.jpg
    yota timing chain 49.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 51
  • yota timing chain 50.jpg
    yota timing chain 50.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 54

Thoryota

Observer
Well I got the 22re back in the truck last night. Need to pull the down pipe off the exhaust and re weld it. Also need to go to the junk yard and get a knock sensor and the flex hose that comes off the throttle body for the air intake system. Other than that all that's left is putting everything back on and hooking up the miles and miles of vacuum hoses and electrical connections. Getting pretty excited to have this thing back on the road.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 51.jpg
    yota timing chain 51.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 42
  • yota timing chain 52.jpg
    yota timing chain 52.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 39

Thoryota

Observer
Today I got the intake manifold and the injectors in. This was about a 8 hour jobs with lots of breaks in between. Who ever designed the wiring harness on these trucks had to have been drunk. At least it made me want to drink after dealing with it. So any how most of the injection system is on the engine. Next I have to clean and install the throttle body and all the vacuum lines that go with it. I ran out of light so it will be getting done later this week. Any how here is some pictures of the progress.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 54.jpg
    yota timing chain 54.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 43
  • yota timing chain 55.jpg
    yota timing chain 55.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 43
  • yota timing chain 53.jpg
    yota timing chain 53.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 42

Thoryota

Observer
Got all the vacuum lines hooked up this weekend. Took two days due to lots of headaches caused by myself. Me not thinking did not mark half the lines so it took longer than it should have to figure out where the plug in. I also got most of the electrical connections plugged in. Still have a few that need plugging in. Only thing left now is to attach all the pulleys and belts, run the exhaust, mount the radiator and fill, ad oil, set base timing, stab the distributor in, and a few small things that are escaping my train of thought right now. If the weather behaves all of this should be done by next weekend. Hopefully I will be driving it sometime the week after next.

Attachments

• yota timing chain 56.jpg
    yota timing chain 56.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 32

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz