2000 Nissan Frontier Build, Trips & Repairs....

oregon213

Observer
First off.... some credit (blame?) where it's due.

I'd been interested in making the jump to a Nissan for a few years, but it was Co-opski's thread that gave me the courage to jump in on a high-mileage gen 1 frontier as my new rig.

(link: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/43802-Co-opski’s-Last-Frontier-Build )

I picked up a 2000 Nissan Frontier crew cab off craigslist in February of this year, with 180,000 on the clock. The price was right, but within a month the issues started to rain down. Cap and rotor, replaced lots of mouse-chewed wiring, and some work on the air intake and filter housing. Replaced the exhaust from the flex coupler back after the last hanger gave way and swung the rusted off tailpipe into my spare, melted it down to the belting - but didn't set it on fire.... thankfully.

A couple of weeks later, I noticed a little vibration at speed... by the end of that day, it had progressed to get really bad, and was tied to acceleration... the prior owner had lifted it using blocks in the back, aluminum blocks.... They were rounded out, and had started to move enough that two of the eight u-bolt nuts had sheared off. Excellent. Oh, and the axel had enough give that the u-joints were shot and driveline warped. New shocks, blocks and the driveline to a shop for tuning.

So.... after all that (and issues with my auto hubs too).... I'm still with the truck.

I picked up a CVT Mt. Shasta RTT at the CVT Customer Appreciation Day back in June.... awesome deal on a former display model tent. If you're local and interested in a RTT, make the run to Bend. Bobby will BBQ you a burger even if you don't end up buying. Fabbed up a bed rack for the tent, and mounted my hi-lift in the bed. I pulled the stock plastic bedliner and... lots of rust. I ran fiberglass patches over the biggest holes, and then rolled the bed with herculiner. Turned out good, the key is prep and timing the removal of masking just right for clean lines.

My better half and I ran the truck over to Hart Mountain and back in March, right after I bought it... somehow none of the series of major issues to come showed up on that trip. We made a series of little trips over the summer (in between problems and repairs). We ran up to Washington for a trip along their central coast, a couple trips over to the Metolius for camping, and a long trip up the Oregon Coast from Yachats to Astoria over a long weekend.

I ran over to the Owhyee country to try and fill an antelope tag this last weekend. I drove some rough country there, and after a day and half had my brake light come on. Some prior owner had put a full sized 265 spare under the bed. Its a short bed truck, and there just isn't room under there for the tire, rear diff, and my brake line.... one of them had to give. The truck still felt good, so I finished out the trip and then made the run to Burns on front brakes only. Les Schwab in Burns had me back to fully functional in an hour or so, and only for $60. Good guys.

The truck rolled past 190K out in the sagebrush by the Owhyee Canyon. With all the initial crap, I was tempted to dump the truck on craigslist... but... for now... I'm still with it. Not much more on it to break at this point, right? :)

I'll do another update here in a few months... hopefully one more full of trip reports than repairs.

Last edited:

oregon213

Observer
Here's the truck the day I bought it, don't mind the gray person.

IMAG2152.jpg

And here during the first trip out east.

IMAG2193.jpg

The herculiner and hi-lift mounted.

IMAG2489.jpg

Driveline repaired

IMG_0071.jpg

New steel blocks and shocks.

IMG_0073.jpg

Rack fabricated and RTT mounted.

IMAG2504.jpg

Last edited:

oregon213

Observer
Camping on the Metolius

IMG_0122.JPG

More Metolius, but with lightbar this time.

IMG_0185.jpg

Somewhere between Crane and Crowley

IMG_0295.jpg

Out on the road down to Three Forks.

IMG_0408.jpg

Stopped in the sage for the night.

IMG_0309.jpg

Sunset on the Owhyee Uplands

IMG_0342.jpg

Last edited:
Nice intro and nice pictures. I like to see people take care of high mileage cars. Enjoy it and take good care of it. it will return the favor.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Looking good, love stockish builds, so looking forward to see where this is going.

Most used vehicles require a bunch of money to get a good baseline, but it is a lot cheaper than new.

gophere

Adventurer
Bed racks are so cool! Yours looks great. Any type of storage or anything else to it besides the tent?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

oregon213

Observer
I was just running action packets in the bed along with a “7-day” Igloo cooler.

I say was because, this truck is o the way out. I’ve got a 2017 Frontier with 12k miles in the driveway and I’m prepped to sell this guy.

I had the timing belt go about a year ago, right at 210k.

Swapped in a 67k engine (same 3.3) out of a totaled Xterra at around the same time we had our second child. Two kids plus two adults is a little tight in a Gen 1, so we’re on to the new Frontier.

Not planning anything more than a mild stock build for it... I’ll start a new thread for it soon.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
my dad picked up a "used" (300 miles from a dealer daily driving it) 2017 pro4x luxury, its a great little truck but man I could do without the luxury setup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles