Winch circuit breaker question

Miller315

Observer
As FlyFisherman noted, when you double line a winch, you double the effective pulling power. The tension on the line will remain the same, but you'll have two lines pulling. Hence the snatch block and the equipment you secure it with, like the tree strap and shackle, need to be rated for double the pulling power of your winch as a minimum, 24,000 lbs in your case.

Mike
Ah, I didn't think of it like that. I had read that I needed 1 1/2 times the vehicle weight for the winch but didn't really think about the accessories. Thanks. Although now I will have to go shopping.

Miller315

Observer
Well I finished up the wiring. I may be a little over cautious but I used a 150 amp resettable breaker, like Henry posted.
So another question. The manual says for every 45 seconds of use, 14 + minutes of cool down. I understand the cool down need.
The manual also said before use to pull out cable then respool under a 500 lb load. I don't have anything around so I pulled my jeep across flat driveway. I didn't have a stop watch out but it definitely took longer than 45 seconds to spool back in. Is that normal? If I'm not supposed to go over 45 seconds, and I am recovering myself or someone else, do I stop in the middle and cool down?
If I do what other things should I be doing, chock wheels etc. will the brake in the winch hold? For how long?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
During a hard pull or multiple pulls the cooldown is probably more important. That said, I am unfamiliar with the design of your winch specifically and if the brake drags during use it will heat regardless of the load and require cooldown. Probably best to follow the manufacturers recommendations. That said, I can not remember waiting fifteen minutes everytime I pulled for a minute? If you think it is getting hot, it probably is. I do think about it and try to be nice to mine :)

Now that you are all set, I hope you have gathered some extras for winching. I carry two 12"x12"x4" bags with straps, clevis, snatch block and a couple squares of belting to protect the rope.

If you are running the wire rope first on your priority list should be some good heavy gloves , a cable hook and an "energy absorber". That energy absorber is a heavy blanket to drape over the cable to grab the energy released during a failure. I have a torn up old heavy coat that did just that. The Puller jammed the clutch and broke the cable. My coat was enough to grab the cable and keep it from going through the window of the rig being pulled. Those guys really learned the importance. My coat got tore up, but it was worth it. Put that "cable blanket" on the top of your list if you don't have one.

Think about upgrading to a synthetic rope some day. Lighter is nice on a cradle mount winch. Safer, no burrs or stored energy to worry about. Also field repairable. Quick easy "weave" poke and slip to get your rope back in service.

bumper3.jpg

Almost makes ya want to find someone stuck now...not :)

onetraveller

Adventurer
I've rarely seen anyone following the manufacturer's recommended duty cycles for winches. Where it usually causes problems is with multiple hard pulls back to back. Also, it should be noted that automotive recovery winches are generally only designed for heavy loads during the pull in. Winching out with a load is generally discouraged. The winch brake is designed to hold the full capacity of the winch indefinitely, and is only released when the winch is put in free-spool mode. This means that when winching out, you are winching against the brake. The brakes are directional. They only exert a force when the spool is trying to wind out. So there is rarely a heating problem going in.

Other things to consider. When you are pulling out another vehicle, it is best to be in your vehicle with the parking brake with your feet also applying the brakes. Turning the front wheels away from the direction of the pull and using chock blocks is also recommended (although rarely done). Some people will try to dig a hole with their tires prior to using the winch to help hold the vehicle in place. You can also anchor the rear of the pulling vehicle to a tree or another rig to keep from being dragged forward. If you do this, be careful you don't end up stretching your frame. I've not seen anyone damage a vehicle this way, but I can see the potential for it under the right circumstances.

Finally, a copy of Bill Burke's Getting UnStuck DVD is a great investment, both in terms of things to consider for safety and in learning advanced winching techniques.

http://bb4wa.com/bill-dvds/

Mike

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Where is that "LIKE" button? Well done Mike :)

I have seen a well done series about winching techniques on YouTube, might have been some of his stuff.

Miller315

Observer
All, thank you very much. Just a wealth of knowledge on here. I am excited to be able to use the winch now, but I may play a little and run some low weight, low risk scenarios, just to see what works what doesn't, ect.
I am thinking a couple more additions to the truck and I may start my own minor build thread. It's a work in progress but works for me.
Thanks again guys

Spanks

How do you wire it up? I agree with not having a breaker but this is my first winch and i don't want to burn something up.

Fyi: it's on a atv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles