I need an entry level AR 15 education

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Jackie,
Prices have come down a good recently but a couple of years ago S&W was about the best bang for your buck in the market. I have two and they both work very well. I wouldn't hesitate getting a ruger either, but my preference would be for the S&W. You might be able to find a better deal by checking out Whittaker Guns, it's about 2 hours NE of you b t is the biggest gun shop in the state of Kentucky.
JG

Ray_G

Explorer
As others have alluded to, what you may want to do is buy components-in fact if you are doing three as you stated for you + kiddos a great project would be to build the lowers yourself. If you can turn a wrench on a truck you can make an AR, particularly the lower. Couple that with the cheap prices of uppers and you stand to save yourself some $ while also learning a bit more about how the weapon functions. Its quite a bit of fun too.

Or you could just get the Ruger(s) and be done with it! :)

I personally have a NATO S&W M&P. Love it! Flat rail is gteat for adding just about anything you want. I bought the gun new with nothing done to it for $550. Since then I've added a slide fire stock, 10 30 round clips, a 120 round barrel, green laser, single point sling, forward grip with push button bippd, tactical focused 1000 lumens flashlight, brake with spikes and 10x50 scope with light up red/green cross hairs.

sent from inside my Wj

NikonRon

Adventurer
Jackie,
Prices have come down a good recently but a couple of years ago S&W was about the best bang for your buck in the market. I have two and they both work very well. I wouldn't hesitate getting a ruger either, but my preference would be for the S&W. You might be able to find a better deal by checking out Whittaker Guns, it's about 2 hours NE of you b t is the biggest gun shop in the state of Kentucky.
JG

Don't take all your money to Whittaker's or you'll spend it all. They're only 5 miles from my house. Ron :sombrero:

screwball48

Explorer
X 2 on building one yourself. Fun and educational. On another note today I was able to lay hands on a Ruger AR-556. Not very impressed to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X 2 on building one yourself. Fun and educational. On another note today I was able to lay hands on a Ruger AR-556. Not very impressed to say the least.

My friend had one and didn't like it either. He said it jammed too much so he traded it on a S&W

sent from inside my Wj

robert

Expedition Leader
Interesting, I haven't handled one of the Rugers since shortly after they came out and at the time it was a nice rifle. Their QC definitely seems to vary at times though.

screwball48

Explorer
The gun I laid hands on was an FFL transfer for a customer so I did not "finger molest" it. The one thing that stood out was the use of a plastic delta ring. I do not think that the overall quality of the gun was horrible by any means. The use of plastic (brittle looking) in that one part made me question what areas had corners cut so that the rifle could be sold at a specific price point.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
So when you guys build one up, what are the more reputable places to get components from? What places are more willing to offer advice to someone building their first without just trying to sell them stuff?

rayra

Expedition Leader
The comment about the plastic delta ring is an inconsequential matter. It just retains the hand guards. It's not under any significant stress.

I built a Del-Ton 20" frankenrifle from their kit on a Spikes stripped lower. Basically basic parts all. The rifle has performed flawlessly and totally satisfies my accuracy requirements. I built an -A4gery, flat top receiver, with a removable A2 carry handle / rear sight. Iron sights and practice and I'm hitting a 14" steel target at 400yds with regularity, using XM855 and my own 62gr FMJ reloads, using the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship taught to me in the Marines ('87-'93).

It really takes a combination of out-of-spec parts to make an AR-pattern rifle misbehave. Beyond that it's more about the shooter than anything else. So find a good value on components, look out for bad reviews on technical glitches, and use the money you save to shoot shoot shoot and hone your marksmanship.

Palmetto State Armory has good deals on basic 16" and 20" rifle kits and often has blowout deals on 'cosmetically blemished' stripped lowers. Together you can build a rifle from them for about $500 right now. and pretty much ~$600 anywhere else. Gun sales (as figured by FBI NICS monthly data) are still high as ever, and it seems the ar-15 market is full of enough vendors that availability and price have both greatly improved the last couple years. No is the best time to buy in the last five years.

Lastly there's only about 5 actual manufacturers of lower receivers, with most of the 'brands' putting their labels on the same-sourced part. So don't pay much heed to the brand wars.

ar15.com's armory and technical forums have ALL the info you could desire on both the hardware and assembly. It can be done in an hour with a few basic hand tools. Avoid their General Discussion forum if you are seeking technical advice. It is a silly place.

rayra

Expedition Leader
One other thing, I pretty much ignore all single anecdotal reports of jamming in AR-pattern rifles. it's almost always due to poor / zero maintenance, fad snake oils* and crappy uncoated steel case ammo or a combination of all three. The only significance of the reports is when they predominate and cover a wide range of conditions, with a single product / brand. Most people don't use a proper chamber brush, nor do their properly clean the bolt and bolt carrier. Carbon buildups there will cause jammings. Using inexpensive parts there don't, if the rifle is properly cleaned periodically.

*there's fresh noise on this right now, as a brand or two of magic elixir oils endorsed by gun celebrities have been revealed to be little more than vegetable oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz