I need an entry level AR 15 education

P2W

Observer
One other thing, I pretty much ignore all single anecdotal reports of jamming in AR-pattern rifles. it's almost always due to poor / zero maintenance, fad snake oils* and crappy uncoated steel case ammo or a combination of all three. The only significance of the reports is when they predominate and cover a wide range of conditions, with a single product / brand. Most people don't use a proper chamber brush, nor do their properly clean the bolt and bolt carrier. Carbon buildups there will cause jammings. Using inexpensive parts there don't, if the rifle is properly cleaned periodically.

I've used Mobil one to lube the BCG in my AR,..

4runnerteq

Explorer
Well damn. I was able to compare the Smith and Ruger side by side and the Ruger just has a better "feel" to me. Then the dealer brings out a DPSM and a Del-Ton. Which of these things is just like the other. The Ruger is 50 bucks less than the Smith and has forward assist and dust cover. I hate shopping stuff Im not familiar with.

screwball48

Explorer
Good deal on the lower. The PTAC uppers have received a bad reputation. I have not seen any personally but would recommend that you google them and draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruisertoy

Explorer
I have built8-10 PTAC uppers guns over the last two years. Each has less than 1000 rounds through them but they have done just fine out of the box. They aren't tac drivers but do as well as most $7-800 guns out there. The biggest issue with the PTAC kits are the triggers. You can literally feel the tool marks on the critical surfaces which make for a gritty trigger pull. Watch the sales and pick up a trigger upgrade in the future. With the money saved I threw a Timney 3lb in one of my nicer guns and used that trigger on one of the PTAC's. Don't be too scared of them, especially for a low use beater gun. Pick up a 22lr bolt and mag with the money you saved and go have some fun.

lysol

Explorer
Too lazy to read and verify if it's already been stated, but I really enjoy shooting piston AR's over direct impingement AR's. While the piston AR's have more proprietary parts, they don't allow the gasses to enter the bolt chamber which keeps the bolt carrier cleaner and cooler. The Ruger SR 556 and 762 are fine pieces of weaponry.

That said, there's nothing wrong with direct impingement. It just gets dirty faster which really rubs my OCD the wrong way...

Ray_G

Explorer
I think for an entry level AR DI is the way to go, but do find piston guns growing on me.

It doesn't help that last week I got to put some rounds downrange with one of these at work..the M27 IAR is a very nice, and very accurate rifle.
2015-10-29 13.41.10.jpg2015-10-29 13.41.14.jpg

knox

Observer
I assume you're not wanting to build one? If you're willing to wait a little bit you could always buy a complete upper/lower on sale or the specific one you want and get a better overall gun for the same price. A bunch of parts are sourced for the same company so essentially the parts are the same except different stamps on them.

hillbilly vet

I would advise to buy what you can afford and modify it over time as you make preferences. I've built about 20 ARs over the last 10 years and I've had $2k Wilson Combats, $1.5k POF (piston driven), $500 Del Tons, DPMS, Bushy, Spikes, etc. I've played with the new Rugers but haven't owned one. For the most part, with the exception of proprietary piston rifles, they are mostly the same. There is only a hand full of forging companies that forge the upper and lower receivers for most major manufacturers. And exception would be the billet pieces but they are a lot more expensive and pointless unless you want to give it a torture test by running over it with a tank. A company called Tool Craft in Marion, NC makes bolts and bolt carriers for most all manufacturers including Freedom Group who owns Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Advanced Armament, and Para Ordnance.

What makes the biggest difference is cold hammer forged barrels. FN and Daniel Defense make such barrels and they are awesome, but more expensive. The best trigger for the money is an ALG Combat kit and replace the springs with JP Enterprises light weight spring kit. It makes a clean, crisp break at 3.9 pounds in my rifle and it only cost me $75. Most AR aficionados swear by Geissele Triggers that cost around $225, well the "G" in ALG is for Geissele because Bill Geissele's wife owns ALG and that is her initials.

I am a believer in Nickel Boron coated bolt carriers and bolts. It makes clean up so much easier. Piston rifles still get dirty too, its just not in the bolt and my experience is that they aren't as accurate as DI rifles.

My current setup is a Bushy (I got it on a trade) with a flat top upper,16" H-bar barrel 1/8 twist, ALG trigger with JP springs, Guntec 15" keymod rail, and a magpul stock and grip. I can shoot a 3 inch group at 100yds with no optics just flip up sights .

rnArmy

Adventurer
Quick question: 1/8 twist vs. 1/9 twist. Which is better (or when would one be better than the other)?

Looks like I'm reviving another dying thread, but I'm considering an AR platform rifle.

Ray_G

Explorer
Quick question: 1/8 twist vs. 1/9 twist. Which is better (or when would one be better than the other)?

Looks like I'm reviving another dying thread, but I'm considering an AR platform rifle.

What barrel length, what type of ammo do you see yourself using, and of course intended application. Absent that info, either would do but I'd say as a rule for most carbines shooting most modern ammo 1:8 over 1:9.
r-
R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles